PDA

View Full Version : Depth reading on a 26' with a step-hull

Goosby Scroggins
08-20-2001, 01:42 PM
We just purchased a 2001 26' Commander (I'd give my thoughts on the overall boat, but that would take two pages). We put a fish finder in it, but are having fits finding an appropriate transducer that will correctly give us our depth. We run in lakes only, and trailer the boat.
Recommendations and comments?

spectras only
08-20-2001, 02:26 PM
Lowrance has transducers they work great epoxied in the bilge,if you have a solid [all fibreglass ] hull.I have it in my boat and it registers accurate at high speeds.It works great as a depth sounder,but don't fish much with my boat,so don't know if it would pick up a school of fish.They come with black or white faces to match your instruments.

Goosby Scroggins
08-20-2001, 03:02 PM
thanks for the reply; I have a couple of questions; what size boat do you have, and do you have a step hull?

spectras only
08-20-2001, 03:38 PM
I have a 19 ,20.10 , and a 24.6 Spectra.They 're all conventional hulls.You have to find a suitable spot in your hull for the transducer to work,either just before the step or at the very far back at the transom where's the hull is in contact with the water all the time.

Dave1972
08-21-2001, 08:17 AM
Hello Goosby!
I also have a stepped hull and my boat is equipped with a Lowrance Depth Finder. It doesn't work at all at speed as the hull is bringing in air underneath it. At idle it works very well and I have tried it in different locations epoxied into the bilge with no success. I'm hoping to find one that works at speed with a stepped hull but have not heard of any products that will work.

spectras only
08-21-2001, 10:29 AM
Goosby,as I mentioned before, the inside application only works for solid fibreglass hulls.If you have a balsacore hull ,this will not work,and you have to mount the transducer outside on the transom

DaveHam
08-22-2001, 06:03 AM
Move the "puck" in front of the step and as close to the keel as you can get it. Worked fine on two of my stepped hull boats. Will only "shoot thru" a solid fiberglass hull though.
[This message has been edited by DaveHam (edited August 22, 2001).]