PDA

View Full Version : Merriman Out for 2 weeks*^%*^$$##

Not So Fast
12-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Damnit, just when he's getting back his MOJO, that's gonna hurt us:( And now the allegations that the Titans were out to "get him" because of his hit on Young without the ball, if true then thats BS. Young ran into him on a fake bootleg and Merriman did NOTHING wrong, I watched it many times. The very next play their big tight end (88) blindsided and leveled Shawne but it was a legal "wham block" as the Uch just stated and completely legit. The next play or so was Lendale's 25 yd run and that was the play Merriman got hurt on. There were two line men that were laying on top of him and thats when the injury took place. He says plenty of players heard their players yelling to "GET HIM" and I sort of beleve it:idea: His "sack dance" although loved by Chargers fans would be irritating to the opposition no doubt but to intentionally injure a player is well, WRONG, if its true!!!!!!! The league is looking at it. <<<<<<<< NSF

BoatFloating
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Are you Charger fans back on the bandwagon????? The Young play or the Rivers deal weren't dirty plays end of story. The Chargers aren't going any place in the playoffs this year. If I remember Harrison was a Charger when he rolled Green's knee in a pre-season game....

eliminatedsprinter
12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Damnit, just when he's getting back his MOJO, that's gonna hurt us:( And now the allegations that the Titans were out to "get him" because of his hit on Young without the ball, if true then thats BS. Young ran into him on a fake bootleg and Merriman did NOTHING wrong, I watched it many times. The very next play their big tight end (88) blindsided and leveled Shawne but it was a legal "wham block" as the Uch just stated and completely legit. The next play or so was Lendale's 25 yd run and that was the play Merriman got hurt on. There were two line men that were laying on top of him and thats when the injury took place. He says plenty of players heard their players yelling to "GET HIM" and I sort of beleve it:idea: His "sack dance" although loved by Chargers fans would be irritating to the opposition no doubt but to intentionally injure a player is well, WRONG, if its true!!!!!!! The league is looking at it. <<<<<<<< NSF
It appears lot's of bad things happened in this game, including Merriman's cheap shot on Young. No excuse for any of it. Merriman's late hit was a cheap shot, but that still does not justify revenge on the field.

BoatFloating
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Did you watch the game? Merriman was trying to pull up when young made a rookie mistake. He was watching the play and didn't have his head on a swivel. He ran right into Merriman. If it was a dirty play there would have been a roughing the passer penalty.
Sorry I meant to say the weren't (my bad). That's why they both didn't get flagged...

Not So Fast
12-10-2007, 05:39 PM
It appears lot's of bad things happened in this game, including Merriman's cheap shot on Young. No excuse for any of it. Merriman's late hit was a cheap shot, but that still does not justify revenge on the field.
I'm really confused as to how you think that was a CHEAP shot, did you actually see the game or the so called HIT.??:confused: SWB is right it could have been worse since Young was still faking that he had the ball right?? NOT A CHEAP SHOT PERIOD, just football. Now two O line players laying on top of Merriman at the end of a downfield play IS SUSPECT IMO!! NSF

Tremor Therapy
12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
What game were you watching? Merriman was engaging a blocker on that play and Young was being a spectator instead of taking care of himself...they basically ran into each other. If Merriman wanted it to be a cheap shot he would not have had his arms out at his sides...he would have used them to really level Young, and he just did not do that.
The hit on Rivers was dirty...no two ways about it. The defensive lineman went for a low hit on the quarterback and that is exactly what he did. The local radio hacks called it that way on the play, and on the next play Bauer wanted them to stand up the defensive lineman and then have Oneal chop block him...15 yard penalty be damned! I'm glad they didn't because the game was waaaaaaaaaaaay to out of control as it was. The officiating crew did not have control of this game.
Oh, and the hit on Merriman is suspect to say the least. There is no reason for 2 offensive lineman to be piledriving a defensive player downfield. I have yet to see a replay of that hit, but I sure would like too.

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Did you watch the game? There was nothing cheap about it. Young made a play action, Merriman was rushing off the edge and engaged with a blocker. He probably never saw Young or saw Young give up the ball being engaged on his left. He said, after the game, that he just saw Young headed straight for him, he was still moving towards the QB engaged with the blocker and he put his arms up in front of him.
I watched the game. I watched the play. I'm no fan of cheap football plays. When I saw it and replayed it several times, I didn't think there was anything cheap about it. It was unusual. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before, a QB just running around the field with his head downfield the entire time.
I watched the game and saw it happen and I saw the replays. Merriman was zeroed in on Young and he could easily see both empty hands, in addition, he lead with his helmit on the tackle. The refs seemed to be looking down field (like young was) and didn't see it or it would have likely drawn a flag. I watched that game, because I like football, I'm not a fan or a hater of either team. I'm not saying it was a Dexter Manley move or anything, but it should have drawn a flag for unnecessary roughness at the very least. :idea:

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm really confused as to how you think that was a CHEAP shot, did you actually see the game or the so called HIT.??:confused: SWB is right it could have been worse since Young was still faking that he had the ball right?? NOT A CHEAP SHOT PERIOD, just football. Now two O line players laying on top of Merriman at the end of a downfield play IS SUSPECT IMO!! NSF
Spoken like a true fan (shouted in caps no less). Good for you, stick up for your team and it's star players.
Ever see LT's image in tree bark??;) ;)
P.S. As a guy who is suffering the after affects of 4 knee reconstructions (2 on each knee) from traumatic sports injuries, I don't ever like to see any player injured, regardless of whatever happened in the previous plays. If Merriman and or anyone else was intentionally hurt, Merriman's hit on Young is no excuse. I feel Merriman's hit deserved a flag. Intentional injuring deserves major punishment from the league.

Tremor Therapy
12-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Just heard on the radio that Oneal ended up breaking his leg....that will be a big blow if he's gone for any length of time. :(

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Spoken like a true fan (shouted in caps no less). Good for you, stick up for your team and it's star players.
Ever see LT's image in tree bark??;) ;)
P.S. As a guy who is suffering the after affects of 4 knee reconstructions (2 on each knee) from traumatic sports injuries, I don't ever like to see any player injured, regardless of whatever happened in the previous plays. If Merriman and or anyone else was intentionally hurt, Merriman's hit on Young is no excuse. I feel Merriman's hit deserved a flag. Intentional injuring deserves major punishment from the league.
Not intentional at all by Merriman. It was obvious to me that he let up at the last second and put his hands/arms up to protect himself as well, he tried to disengage himself from the blocker. If the QB doesn't look where he's going then how is it the fault of Merriman's? No different than a blocker getting leveled on kickoffs who happens to be looking left when he should have looked right.

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Not intentional at all by Merriman. It was obvious to me that he let up at the last second and put his hands/arms up to protect himself as well, he tried to disengage himself from the blocker. If the QB doesn't look where he's going then how is it the fault of Merriman's? No different than a blocker getting leveled on kickoffs who happens to be looking left when he should have looked right.
Like I said, I feel Merriman's hit on Young only deserved a flag for roughness.
If any deleberate injuring went on in retribution, then those players and coaches found to be involved, should be delt with harshly by the league.

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
If any deleberate injuring went on in retribution, then those players and coaches found to be involved, should be delt with harshly by the league.
I agree with your second sentence :D
I'd call it more like incidental contact....not one person was trying to cause that collision purposely. Nor was there any intent to injure on that play.
It was an ugly game from the get go....playoff implications for both teams so they all played hard.

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
It was an ugly game from the get go....
Absolutly.:D

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 11:24 AM
When a player, any player, engages a defender on a running play, he is considered a blocker. Vince Young engaged Merriman through his own stupidity.
I'm aware of the rules, I've ref'd football before (long ago and never again:D ;) ). Unecessary roughness is a judgment call. In my opinion this hit was hard enough, late enough, and far enough from the action to warrent that 15 yard penalty call. That is just my opinion and how I would call it if I was on the field in stripes. I would not expect any of the Chargers fans to agree with the call, but I would have made it anyways.:idea: :D

GAME TIME
12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm aware of the rules, I've ref'd football before (long ago and never again:D ;) ). Unecessary roughness is a judgment call. In my opinion this hit was hard enough, late enough, and far enough from the action to warrent that 15 yard penalty call. That is just my opinion and how I would call it if I was on the field in stripes. I would not expect any of the Chargers fans to agree with the call, but I would have made it anyways.:idea: :D
That's why no one likes refs. :D I'm definitely NOT a Choker, I mean Charger fan but that was not a late hit or unnecessary roughness.

MKEELINE
12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
From what I saw the Merriman-Young deal was nothing more than incidental contact. Got to keep your head on a swivel or someone will knock it off on purpose or by accident. This was a hard hitting game, you get that every once in a while in the NFL. As far as Merrimans concerned, he's the best defensive player on the field and had two sacks in the game at that point. It's not that hard to believe that the Titans would try to knock him out of the game, just because they are going after him doesn't make it "dirty". Now if they purposely go after his knees that's "dirty".
I didn't see the whole game, but did see some of these plays that are being called "dirty". This is a violent game and injury is part of it.
I just hope Merriman is a quick healer now that he's all natural.

Not So Fast
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Hard to believe you are still saying that the hit was anything more than it was?? Do you serve in the replay booths also cause they have been wrong more that right too:D Young should have got an acting award, he laid there for ever and then gets up and sprints off the field. Maybe it was the sack by Igor that took the wind out of his sails cause I dont know how he got up from that one, WOW, that was brutal:D
If you want to call a penalty then take a look at the replay of Mawae and the other O lineman that landed on Merriman after the 2nd or 3rd play after the "so called hit" play, that was UNCALLED FOR, opps I yelled again. NSF

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Hard to believe you are still saying that the hit was anything more than it was?? Do you serve in the replay booths also cause they have been wrong more that right too:D Young should have got an acting award, he laid there for ever and then gets up and sprints off the field. Maybe it was the sack by Igor that took the wind out of his sails cause I dont know how he got up from that one, WOW, that was brutal:D
If you want to call a penalty then take a look at the replay of Mawae and the other O lineman that landed on Merriman after the 2nd or 3rd play after the "so called hit" play, that was UNCALLED FOR, opps I yelled again. NSF
You mean you can't believe that I'm saying it was anything more than you, Igor, and all true Charger fans think it was.:) I just think it should have drawn a flag for roughness. You (and no doubt all other Charger and Sean Merriman) fans feel otherwise. If you didn't you wouldn't qualify as a true fan and you would have to take that helmet out of your avitar.:D

Not So Fast
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
You mean you can't believe that I'm saying it was anything more than you, Igor, and all true Charger fans think it was.:) I just think it should have drawn a flag for roughness. You (and no doubt all other Charger and Sean Merriman) fans feel otherwise. If you didn't you wouldn't qualify as a true fan and you would have to take that helmet out of your avitar.:D
Funny that you are about the only one to see it like that. :idea: Whatever, I'm out!! NSF

eliminatedsprinter
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm a pretty fair guy and I'm usually the first one to say when a hit it cheap, late or dirty. Hell, I learned the definition of cheap, late hit from the best, Rodney Harrison. That hit was in no way, shape or form, unnecessary roughness. If ANYBODY in the league believes it is, there will surely be a fine.
My, my, more shouting in caps. Hmmmm a fine for every 15 yard penalty that "ANYBODY in the league" feels should have been called, you think that is logical??At this point you must be starting to see, that I really don't care at all about the play (since nobody was injured). I'm just continuing to say what I think because it's getting the fans all in a lather...;) When that play happened and I saw the replay I just shook my head and thought to myself "that play should have drawn a flag, it will be interesting to see what the Charger fans on HB will be saying about it". I'm just having some fun with it.:D :D :D It's no big deal (just another uncalled 15 yd penalty;) ) in a game between 2 mid level teams and not material for the caps button.:D :D

Havasu1986
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry Charger fans. I gotta agree with this guy. When I seen the hit I thought a yellow hankie was coming out. As far as Fisher goes, I don't think he gave the code red on Merriman. The players could figure that one out themselves. ;)