PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

hkunz
12-10-2007, 05:37 PM
LEOs, with triple backup handguns on your ankles, this question isn't for you.
Here's the scenario - we took the grandkids to the Christmas light show at CALM, Bakersfield's local zoo. We saw all the lights, rode the train, froze, had hot cocoa, and went back to the cars. As we got in there was a bit of a row outside the car next to us, something about her (the wife's) scumbucket brother standing them up after they bought the ticket for him, or words to that effect. There's a kid in a stroller, and one strapped in the car already. The disagreement starts to turn physical, with her in his face, then he grabs her arm (there has been a fair amount of screaming at this point) and jerks her. He never actually struck her that I could see, and I was only about a parking stall away.
I was unarmed except for a cell phone, which I was about to toss to my wife. I did have backup, but didn't it know at the time; my SIL is an unsworn Deputy and was watching, but was across two lanes, and there was a guy in the car in front of us who was waiting for me to act.
Anyway, I open the door and start to get out, at which time the whole thing stopped. My action apparently woke up dorkboy to the common knowledge that it is considered impolite to hit girls, even if they are bigger than he is, and that doing so in public might have negative consequences rather quickly. My wife says, "don't go out there", thinking of the guy who got stabbed a month or so ago in a similar situation.
So, what would you do? Get out? Call 911? Help him wail on her? I have no fanatasies that I could take him, or her, or expecially both of them. While just opening the door defused the situation, was I stupid to do it?
Oh, they were kissing as we drove off.

hkunz
12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that afterwards, but I could't just ignore it, either. I got out without thinking, and it worked out. Wasn't even scary until later LOL

Mrs.Racer277
12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the 08 :rolleyes:
I probably would have called 911 :confused: But who really knows until you are faced with the situation yourself

fatboy95
12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
When you step in, most of the time you will have both of them jump all over you even though the wife is beaten bloody she still "loves her man". Call 911 and leave.

Luckie Stiff
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I would have just drove on. Domestics never end well for the people trying to help out.

delemorte
12-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Unless I felt her life was in iminent danger i would not have done anything.. Geting in the middle of a domestic disturbance will most likely end up with both of them against you and you in handcuffs..
Be a good witness and call 911. If you feel he is going to kill the bitch then i would have pulled and plugged him full of holes.. However seeing as that was not the case then just be a good witness.

vee-driven
12-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Fuk'em let them kill each other, and get a good ring side seat.

Flyinbowtie
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, were I not an armed retired LEO, I would do my best to be the best possible witness, getting plate numbers, calling the cops, etc.
It is a very personal decision for anyone to insert themselves into something like this; with my disability problems my days of wrestling with some assclown on the street are over.Most of these 'tards do this on a regular basis, many are tweaking, some are packing. None are yer basic decent family sort, or they wouldn't be doin' this shiznit in the first place.
I would be the witness described above, right up until one of the children was put in harms way or a felony whipping gets going, like somebody with a baseball bat, to where I was convinced someone might die if I did not take some action.
At that point, I'd make a decision.

FOXMAN
12-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Me and the wife were on our way home from going out to eat one nite and we saw a couple come out of a bar and the guy was slapping his girlfriend, wife? around.. That sh!t doesnt sit well with me.. I pull over to help and next thing is SHE'S kicking his @ss. My wife says "I dont think she needs your help" My wife was right. Should have made a 911 call.. Glad i didnt get involved. Just about the time you think your helping.. Next thing they might both be stomping on your head..

Mattman
12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, were I not an armed retired LEO, I would do my best to be the best possible witness, getting plate numbers, calling the cops, etc.
It is a very personal decision for anyone to insert themselves into something like this; with my disability problems my days of wrestling with some assclown on the street are over.Most of these 'tards do this on a regular basis, many are tweaking, some are packing. None are yer basic decent family sort, or they wouldn't be doin' this shiznit in the first place.
I would be the witness described above, right up until one of the children was put in harms way or a felony whipping gets going, like somebody with a baseball bat, to where I was convinced someone might die if I did not take some action.
At that point, I'd make a decision.
What he said. It's bad enough doing that stuff when you are in full uniform. One of them calls 911 cuz they're getting their ass kicked, you show up and one or the other or both are now trying to kick your ass. Fok that! I guess the positive in this is taking them side by side into the E.R. to get the taser darts removed and cleared for booking!!!:D

ONAROLL
12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Let your conscience be your guide, some things I cannot tolerate, no matter what the consequences............

ck7684
12-11-2007, 05:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1X55FMipA

Cigalert
12-11-2007, 06:14 AM
You can say you did the right thing for the situation considering the outcome. But this is similar to a choose your own adventure book. Had you reacted sooner/later would it have resulted differently? You'll never know. I personally can only avoid conflict for so long before my gut gets the better of me. Sometime it's not always about coming to the aid of a female but showing a bully it's not just one on one. In this case he was made aware there was a set of eyes on the situation.

hkunz
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Here's the thing, in 20-20 retrospect - I didn't even think about it, I just reacted. I stopped when my wife told me to, otherwise, I would have gotten all the way out of the car.

SB
12-11-2007, 10:15 AM
"Ma'am, do you want me to call 911?"

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
"Ma'am, do you want me to call 911?"Vocal intervention, any more than that your really asking for trouble.
Its kinda sad reading this thread because 20 or more years ago not one decent man would have walked away from a woman being harrassed by a guy like that.

phebus
12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I would have got involved, when at that point they would have stopped fighting each other and both of them would have kicked my ass leaving me a bloody pulp with nothing left to do except to watch them go back to fighting each other. :D
Bottom line- You can't help focktards.