PDA

View Full Version : Weekend at Mikes Sky Ranch, Baja Norte

Sleeper CP
12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Got back last night from Mike's Sky Ranch on a friends annual Motorcycle ride to celebrate his birthday. He's the fastest damn 58 yr old you have ever seen ride a dirt bike. He has won numerous Baja 1,000's and 500's and in his early at 50's was racing class 30 with my brother James and other friend's. I thought I would post a few pictures of our 300+ mile weekend trip.
The ride is 150 miles each way, we start in Tecate and head South. This year the 28 of us we got started in Tecate at 9:00 am and got to Mike's at 5:30 p.m. (last rider in anyway). It rained on us for most of the day 36 degree rain for 100+ miles. I was riding with the two sweepers, because I was to damn cold to ride fast did the last 40 miles in the dark in the rain with out goggles. Mikes is at 3,800 ft altitude the snow line was right at 4,000 ft.
It got colder riding home on Sunday. Believe it or not it is more comfortable riding in snow(65 miles worth) than it is in 36-40 degree rain.
We had a blast and next year will be Cliffs 20th year of doing this. This is the 3rd time that we have ridden in the snow on the ride. This trip will give us something to talk about for many years.
Mikes on Sunday Morning
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0001-1.jpg
Second gas stop at the Saw Mill. Got warm from Ramona's stove and a hot cup of coffee at 5,300 ft.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0002-1.jpg
Picture along the trail.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0003-2.jpg
My XR-650R got me back and forth with no problems:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0004-3.jpg
It was a great ride, One friend hit the ground pretty hard and gave himself a concussion and had to get hauled out to hwy 3 and put in the chase truck. Thank God for Sat phone's. I got off at about 10 mph in a sand wash and got rather personal with a sage brush bush and that's the only time I unloaded this weekend. I was riding to damn slow to really put my self in much jeopardy this ride.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford and Baja lover:D

coolchange
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow! I'd love to do that some time. But I can't get anyone to go anyway. Last group of people I knew that did it won't go again.

CBadDad
12-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Wowe, waayyy cool!
And in the snow to boot....that's a trip of a lifetime.

Sleeper CP
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow! I'd love to do that some time. But I can't get anyone to go anyway. Last group of people I knew that did it won't go again.
Mexico is doing very poorly with "the bad guy's" right now. Bunch of thuggs so you have to be careful. But the riding is like nothing you can do here in Southern Cal or Arizona. It is just fantastic. We make 3 three big ride's a year(Mike's, The Old Mill and Guadalupe Hot Springs) and a few small ones depending on schedules and weather.
Sleeper CP:D

Outnumbered
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Mexico is doing very poorly with "the bad guy's" right now. Bunch of thuggs so you have to be careful. But the riding is like nothing you can do here in Southern Cal or Arizona. It is just fantastic. We make 3 three big ride's a year(Mike's, The Old Mill and Guadalupe Hot Springs) and a few small ones depending on schedules and weather.
Great pics. I have always dreamed of doing that. I would love to do that ride but would never feel it would be worth risking being robbed, killed, or treated in a Mexican hospital:sqeyes: . Maybe after Mexico becomes part of the USA I will do it:D
BTW, I have ridden with a few guys that have been down there and they say that the trails here in AZ are comparable in terrain if you know where to ride. I have been absolutely blown away with the riding available here in AZ. As a Cali resident, I never had an idea of just how many and how good the trails are here in AZ. I don't think I could ever ride them all in a lifetime.
I think I will stay safe here at home in AZ.

Sleeper CP
12-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Great pics.
BTW, I have ridden with a few guys that have been down there and they say that the trails here in AZ are comparable in terrain if you know where to ride. I have been absolutely blown away with the riding available here in AZ. As a Cali resident, I never had an idea of just how many and how good the trails are here in AZ. I don't think I could ever ride them all in a lifetime.
Cal and AZ do have good trails if you know where to find them. Here in Cal you really need to have a dual sport bike so you can ride on the Hwy. In Mexico I can ride my dirt bike in Down Town Ensenada or TJ with out a problem, as long as I obey the traffic laws.
Among the cool thing's of riding in Mexico is the ride from Santa Thomas to San Quinitin(The Old Mill) it is 130 miles down the coast. For one section we are on the beach for 13 miles dodging the surf. And then the 120 mile ride to Guadalupe Hot Springs we ride into the pine forest up to 6,000 ft and then drop to the desert floor. Nothing like getting off a dirt bike after 120 miles with a beer or margarita and slipping into a natural hot tub.:) :D
Sleeper CP :D

Cigalert
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Great pics. I have always dreamed of doing that. I would love to do that ride but would never feel it would be worth risking being robbed, killed, or treated in a Mexican hospital:sqeyes: . Maybe after Mexico becomes part of the USA I will do it:D
If Mexico ever becomes part of the US they'll make the whole country a national park and outlaw offroad vehicles entirely.

gramps
12-11-2007, 08:12 AM
who was the birthday boy? by your description it almost sounds like someone we used to ride with.

Outnumbered
12-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Cal and AZ do have good trails if you know where to find them. Here in Cal you really need to have a dual sport bike so you can ride on the Hwy. In Mexico I can ride my dirt bike in Down Town Ensenada or TJ with out a problem, as long as I obey the traffic laws.
Among the cool thing's of riding in Mexico is the ride from Santa Thomas to San Quinitin(The Old Mill) it is 130 miles down the coast. For one section we are on the beach for 13 miles dodging the surf. And then the 120 mile ride to Guadalupe Hot Springs we ride into the pine forest up to 6,000 ft and then drop to the desert floor. Nothing like getting off a dirt bike after 120 miles with a beer or margarita and slipping into a natural hot tub.:) :D
OK, I'll give you that:D The beach factor is the only way AZ cannot compete. It is too bad Rocky Point was not part of AZ/USA. It would be the perfect place to live:)
BTW, you can DS just about any bike here in AZ. I hope it stays that way.

bajarunner
12-11-2007, 08:33 AM
I love that ride to mikes, one of the best places on earth to ride a bike IMO. Can't wait to get there either, steak dinner, and mikes tequila, damn makes me wanna go!
Glad you guys had a safe, fun, trip!

Sleeper CP
12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
who was the birthday boy? by your description it almost sounds like someone we used to ride with.
The birthday boy is Cliff Matlock aka "Madd Dog Matlock". A hell raiser indeed. He has raced Baja for years first on Quads and since 1994 on Motorcycle's Class 30 and Class 40 Pro.
I love that ride to mikes, one of the best places on earth to ride a bike IMO. Can't wait to get there either, steak dinner, and mikes tequila, damn makes me wanna go!
Glad you guys had a safe, fun, trip!
Thanks, we have a blast everytime... gives us something to talk about for years.:D

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Four words....
BAJA OFF ROAD ADVENTURES..
http://bajaoffroad.com/
We go down at least every three weeks, loop from Ensanada to San Felipe, to Mikes and over to the coast and back to Ensanada.
PM me for the HB price

Sleeper CP
12-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Four words....
BAJA OFF ROAD ADVENTURES..
http://bajaoffroad.com/
We go down at least every three weeks, loop from Ensanada to San Felipe, to Mikes and over to the coast and back to Ensanada.
PM me for the HB price
For those that want to go on a guided tour it's the way to go:)
It's worth checking out.

Tremor Therapy
12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Those pictures are just awesome! I have not been to Mike's since '76. My dad used to have a '69 Bronco with 351 in it, and we used to 4X all over Mexico. I have very fond memmories of that place, and its nice to know that others still enjoy the place!

maxwedge
12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I must be getting old, because this just looks like it would wind up being really painfull.:D
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0002-1.jpg

gramps
12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
The birthday boy is Cliff Matlock aka "Madd Dog Matlock". A hell raiser indeed. He has raced Baja for years first on Quads and since 1994 on Motorcycle's Class 30 and Class 40 Pro.
Thanks, we have a blast everytime... gives us something to talk about for years.:D
I thought you might be talking about Steve Hurd or Eric Jensen.

LEADFOOTjosh
12-11-2007, 10:12 AM
looks like fun

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
For those that want to go on a guided tour it's the way to go:)
It's worth checking out.
Thanks Sleeper..looks like a grand time was had by all, and its never too cold, when you get in the bar at Mikes, after a long day riding, snow or shine (although its normally sun!!) and the lies start flowing along with the drinks, and the propane heater is going under the tv showing old Baja racing videos, ahhhh man it dont get any better, then you go to bed with the smell of kerosene heaters in the rooms!!....its all good!!!
Unless you can get someone likkured up enough to go in the pool!!!:D

Outnumbered
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
BajaBigDog, I would love to do one of your trips. The high-profile stories of the recent terrorism by the rogue Federales just confirmed some of the rumors I have heard over the years. I know you don't want to shed any negative light on your tourism business but what can you tell us about keeping safe down there?
Damn, it looks like fun:D

INI
12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
love that ride....You can never go wrong at Mikes...
Gotta love the Ride when the river is full and its 30 outside...:eek:

Sleeper CP
12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I must be getting old, because this just looks like it would wind up being really painfull.:D
]
The snow it actually nicer to ride in than 40 degree rain. This is the 3rd time in 19 year's that we had snow. It is usally sunny. The best rides have been a few days after rain the ground is just fantastic:D
Thanks Sleeper..looks like a grand time was had by all, and its never too cold, when you get in the bar at Mikes, after a long day riding, snow or shine (although its normally sun!!) and the lies start flowing along with the drinks, and the propane heater is going under the tv showing old Baja racing videos, ahhhh man it dont get any better, then you go to bed with the smell of kerosene heaters in the rooms!!....its all good!!!
Unless you can get someone likkured up enough to go in the pool!!!:D
The room's up top have very clean burning Propane heaters like the bar and the one on the West end of the dinning room:) You have to walk up the step' but they even have oxygen sensors on them and will shut off it you have the window closed all the way.
About half our group rode over the hill 14 miles to Mellings to have lunch on Saturday. The rest of us hung out at Mike's and they cooked us machaca burrito's for lunch and we fired up the grill and cooked some food we brought in the case truck and drank beer and margarita's for several hours. Those that rode to Mellings and back said it was the best ground they had ridden on in years. We said no big deal the storm has passed and we'll have great conditions tomorrow. Wrong. Rain and snow:mad: But there is always next year;)

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2007, 03:37 PM
BajaBigDog, I would love to do one of your trips. The high-profile stories of the recent terrorism by the rogue Federales just confirmed some of the rumors I have heard over the years. I know you don't want to shed any negative light on your tourism business but what can you tell us about keeping safe down there?
Damn, it looks like fun:D
If I can figure that out I could the President!!
The problems are isolated down there, and the old saying stands true, there is safety in numbers.
I would attempt to over rule the negative light that has been shed on Baja in the last couple of years, but some of the stories are true, and may frighten some people.
We have doing tours for over ten years, no problems to speak of, the worst problems we have is getting bikes INTO that fricken place!! The rules change every trip!
Most of the negative times are the result of the races in Baja, mostly the SCORE races, I dont have the time to go into my opinion of SCORE, so I will leave it at that! The scum bags come from many miles around to have an easy payday on the racers and all the equipment they bring down, we lost a truck and a pre runner two years ago at the 1000, more than likely cops, but who knows, the big weekends attract big scum bags!!!
Im concerned about the first of the year, when passports will be required, I'm shittin because the border is such a mess now (we normally come across after 6PM on Sundays) which is the worst time, but when the passports kick in its gonna be a mess.
Know where to stay in Baja, we have our favorite places, and they are secure, gates with guards, hell, we give one of the guards the keys to the trucks we leave in Ensanada, and when we get back they are detailed!!
Baja is still one of the most sought after riding and wheeling around, and if you get a chance go there, ifs a once in a life time ride, that you will be back for!!!

Sleeper CP
12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Off to the Hospital, my friend that crashed and got a concussion also cracked a vertebrae in his neck. He is in the hospital with a halo on his head:eek:
Baja Big Dog, our wait at Tecate this past Sunday was 18 minutes:D at 6:38pm. Last year on one trip we were in line for 2hrs 57 minutes and the piece of crap US Custom's gards closed the gates two car's in front of us.
I had to drive to Otay at 11:00 pm and then wait 30 minutes over there at 11:45 pm I was pissed off for day's:mad:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

Sleeper CP
12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Off to the Hospital, my friend that crashed and got a concussion also cracked a vertebrae in his neck. He is in the hospital with a halo on his head:eek:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D
My friend hit the ground "wrong" and has three fractures in his L-1 vertebrae:eek: He is damn lucky(Thank you God). The doctor told him a few centimeters either way and he wouldn't have been with us any more. I guess the L-1 vertebrae in "our" on/off switch:jawdrop: He'll be in the Halo for 3 months. Ray is in his mid- 50's.
[QUOTE=Outnumbered;2937755]OK, I'll give you that:D The beach factor is the only way AZ cannot compete. QUOTE]
Outnumbered, here are a couple of things you won't see in AZ:
These were taken on the San Quinitin trip a couple of yrs ago.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0009-1.jpg
The Tug boat was on the beach for yrs. Some guy's finally took a torch to it and scraped it, but it sat here for years along a 12 mile stretch of beach.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0010.jpg
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

Baja Big Dog
12-12-2007, 08:52 AM
The snow it actually nicer to ride in than 40 degree rain. This is the 3rd time in 19 year's that we had snow. It is usally sunny. The best rides have been a few days after rain the ground is just fantastic:D
The room's up top have very clean burning Propane heaters like the bar and the one on the West end of the dinning room:) You have to walk up the step' but they even have oxygen sensors on them and will shut off it you have the window closed all the way.
About half our group rode over the hill 14 miles to Mellings to have lunch on Saturday. The rest of us hung out at Mike's and they cooked us machaca burrito's for lunch and we fired up the grill and cooked some food we brought in the case truck and drank beer and margarita's for several hours. Those that rode to Mellings and back said it was the best ground they had ridden on in years. We said no big deal the storm has passed and we'll have great conditions tomorrow. Wrong. Rain and snow:mad: But there is always next year;)
Fortunately we go enough that we avoid the "upper" rooms, nothing worse than riding all day and having to drag you fricken gear bag up those nose bleed steps!!!

1 Baja Guy
12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
My friend hit the ground "wrong" and has three fractures in his L-1 vertebrae:eek: He is damn lucky(Thank you God). The doctor told him a few centimeters either way and he wouldn't have been with us any more. I guess the L-1 vertebrae in "our" on/off switch:jawdrop: He'll be in the Halo for 3 months. Ray is in his mid- 50's.
[QUOTE=Outnumbered;2937755]OK, I'll give you that:D The beach factor is the only way AZ cannot compete. QUOTE]
Outnumbered, here are a couple of things you won't see in AZ:
These were taken on the San Quinitin trip a couple of yrs ago.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0009-1.jpg
The Tug boat was on the beach for yrs. Some guy's finally took a torch to it and scraped it, but it sat here for years along a 12 mile stretch of beach.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0010.jpg
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D
Yes that is a great ride. I attached a picture of us at the same spot.
We went on a tour with Baja Off Road Adventures and its one of many great spots we stopped on our tour.
Great guys
:)

chucko
12-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey Sleeper CP,
I just typed in Mikes Sky Ranch on a internet search and it brought me to this thread. I had to register to include my two cents....
What a awesome weekend. Ray (my buddy who is now in a Halo) invited me to tag along. And aside from him getting hurt, it was the best riding adventure I had ever had in my life. I bought my first four stroke two weeks prior, first time riding in baja, first time riding in snow, first time riding over 100 miles in one day, first time riding in rain all day, first time to Mikes, first time buying gas in a milk jug from some old guy in the middle of nowhere, first time going over the bars while wearing a helmet cam..........
All I can say was, AWESOME.
Good group of people, so whom ever you are CP, thanks for the great time.

chucko
12-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey Sleeper CP,
I just typed in Mikes Sky Ranch on a internet search and it brought me to this thread. I had to register to include my two cents....
What a awesome weekend. Ray (my buddy who is now in a Halo) invited me to tag along. And aside from him getting hurt, it was the best riding adventure I had ever had in my life. I bought my first four stroke two weeks prior, first time riding in baja, first time riding in snow, first time riding over 100 miles in one day, first time riding in rain all day, first time to Mikes, first time buying gas in a milk jug from some old guy in the middle of nowhere, first time going over the bars while wearing a helmet cam..........
All I can say was, AWESOME.
Good group of people, so whom ever you are CP, thanks for the great time.