PDA

View Full Version : Guess ol billy wasn't that bad

Blown 472
12-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Statement of Joan Claybrook, President of Public Citizen
In a stealthy maneuver, the Bush administration has boosted the threat to the public by increasing the number of Mexico-based trucking firms allowed access to all U.S. roads as part of the reckless North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) trucking “pilot program.” The Department of Transportation recently revealed an increase in the number of NAFTA trucks permitted to all U.S. highways – now 10 carriers, sending as many as 55 trucks throughout the country.
The last time the Bush administration made a public announcement about the number of Mexico-based carriers allowed to participate in the NAFTA trucks pilot program, there were only three carriers.
It has long been the tradition by this administration to bury bad news like this by sending out press releases on Friday afternoon, but in this case, the Department of Transportation (DOT) reached a new low: not sending any press release at all, but simply updating a Web page.
Both houses of Congress have passed versions of the DOT spending bill that includes provisions to shut down this dangerous folly. Unfortunately for all members of the public who must travel every day on the nationÂ’s roads, the White House has threatened to veto the final bill. It is high time for President Bush to get out of the way and let the Senate vote on the final bill before any more lives are put at risk.
In 2001, a NAFTA tribunal ordered the U.S. to permit access to all U.S. roads for Mexico-domiciled trucking companies. The Clinton administration refused to comply with the NAFTA tribunal, citing serious safety and environmental concerns with MexicoÂ’s trucking fleet. The Bush administration has tried since 2002 to enforce the NAFTA order to open U.S. highways to unsafe trucks. Congress has intervened repeatedly to stop the Bush administration. In September, the Bush administration tried to meet NAFTAÂ’s dictates by launching a pilot program to allow up to 100 motor carriers from Mexico full access to U.S. highways. However, the project violates a 2001 congressional mandate that Mexico-domiciled trucking companies meet U.S. safety standards regarding hours of service, driver training and licensing, and vehicle safety before being allowed access to the nationÂ’s roadways.
A lawsuit filed by several groups, including Public Citizen, alleging that the pilot program doesnÂ’t meet congressional requirements is still pending in the Ninth Circuit.

redneckcharlie
12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Good post! I see this crap here in NM all the time. We're one of the few states where an illegal alien can attain a drivers license. Did I mention you don't even have to speak english here to take the test? What a fricken joke!:mad:

Kachina26
12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Perhaps your memory is as poor as your logic, just who signed the NAFTA agreement???? Hmmmmmm I wonder, could it be, Satan? Err I mean Bill Clinton. signing picture (http://encarta.msn.com/media_461519503_761579853_-1_1/President_Clinton_Signs_NAFTA.html)
Don't get me wrong, we agree in part. Just don't try to tell me this is all Bush's doing! See if you can get a link from a credible we......oops, forgot who I was talking to. Hey, weren't you banned for posting articles with no argument for or against? Talk about your slow learners. :rolleyes:

redneckcharlie
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Perhaps your memory is as poor as your logic, just who signed the NAFTA agreement???? Hmmmmmm I wonder, could it be, Satan? Err I mean Bill Clinton. signing picture (http://encarta.msn.com/media_461519503_761579853_-1_1/President_Clinton_Signs_NAFTA.html)
Don't get me wrong, we agree in part. Just don't try to tell me this is all Bush's doing! See if you can get a link from a credible we......oops, forgot who I was talking to. Hey, weren't you banned for posting articles with no argument for or against? Talk about your slow learners. :rolleyes:
The current situation regarding the trucks from Mexico, and who authorized what is complete nonsense. God knows, I don't agree with Blown on much, but this issue is going to be coming to your neighborhood sooner than you think. This is one of those issues that all the bs political crap should be set aside, and people should be expressing their displeasure. One of these trucks will harm someone in your community at some point. This is by no means a bash on Mexicans, its a simple fact that their commercial vehicles are no where near the standard of the ones in the US.

Kachina26
12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
The current situation regarding the trucks from Mexico, and who authorized what is complete nonsense. God knows, I don't agree with Blown on much, but this issue is going to be coming to your neighborhood sooner than you think. This is one of those issues that all the bs political crap should be set aside, and people should be expressing their displeasure. One of these trucks will harm someone in your community at some point. This is by no means a bash on Mexicans, its a simple fact that their commercial vehicles are no where near the standard of the ones in the US.
I agree with you 100%

sanger rat
12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Here is one man that wants to change it. http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/american-independence-and-sovereignty/

Kachina26
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Here is one man that wants to change it. http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/american-independence-and-sovereignty/
Heck, he's got my vote. I'm in Ca, so it doesn't matter what I vote.:mad: :mad:

12-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Joan Claybrook is in the back pocket of the railroad, bought & paid for by the industry that has been trying to put trucking out of business. Do a little research on this old windbag. She is or was head of C.R.A.S.H. a publicity business that was wholly funded by the railroad cos. who's sole goal was to destroy the trucking industry. R/Rs don't like the competition.

redneckcharlie
12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Joan Claybrook is in the back pocket of the railroad, bought & paid for by the industry that has been trying to put trucking out of business. Do a little research on this old windbag. She is or was head of C.R.A.S.H. a publicity business that was wholly funded by the railroad cos. who's sole goal was to destroy the trucking industry. R/Rs don't like the competition.
I'm not familiar with Joan Claybrook. How does this relate to the situation we're talking about?

Boatcop
12-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't know squat about NAFTA, and don't really care who enacted it.
But I do know that if an unsafe truck is found on any Arizona highways, it is parked. Doesn't matter where it came from, or who's driving it.
If it doesn't meet all state and Federal requirements, including logbooks and down time, it's put out of service. If it's patently unsafe, then it's towed.

AzMandella
12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
The B.S. about them not having to adhere to our laws for safety is just propaganda to get rid of them. I have seen a few of the trucks that have come over the border. And although they are not the nice and shiney looking trucks that some in our country drive,they were not as big of piece of shiat that some in our own country drive.

12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm not familiar with Joan Claybrook. How does this relate to the situation we're talking about?
Joan Claybrook wrote the comments this thread is about, see the header. This post is a double edge sword, a dig at Bush and an oppertunity to give trucking another black eye complements of the railroad. Edit: According to Joan Claybrook all the trucks on the road are unsafe as well as all the drivers of those trucks.