PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Rent

C.Fisher
12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Alright guys I need some imput.
A close friend let his girlfriend and 2 kids move in with him. One is 19 the other is 21. Both boys have graduated school, one flunked out of college the 1st year and the 21 year old boy has no direction in life aside from playing in band. They are both able bodied and pay nothing to my friend or there mom to help with living expenses. Both boys have lived with him for over a year now and do nothing to help him around the house.
I am trying to talk to my friend about charging the boys rent. I know I had to pay rent once I graduated and still lived with my parents. We are throwing numbers around and figure that 150/month from each kid would be fair. Where else could they live for 150 month that included room, board, food, ect.
Whats your all thoughts?

ratso
12-11-2007, 06:56 AM
...bare minimum of 150

ratso
12-11-2007, 06:57 AM
...including helping around the house. If they are lazy pieces of shit, then at least double it for being their maid.

jdogginla
12-11-2007, 06:58 AM
A month after graduating high school, my parents came to me and said if you aren't going to college and going to be a student you will be paying rent. I paid $500 a month and moved out about 2 months later. This was in 1990. My sister paid that rent til she was 24.
Making them pay 100 bux a month is a joke......

2forcefull
12-11-2007, 07:10 AM
A close friend let his girlfriend and 2 kids move in with him. One is 19 the other is 21. Both boys have graduated school, one flunked out of college the 1st year and the 21 year old boy has no direction in life aside from playing in band. They are both able bodied and pay nothing to my friend or there mom to help with living expenses. Both boys have lived with him for over a year now and do nothing to help him around the house.
I am trying to talk to my friend about charging the boys rent. I know I had to pay rent once I graduated and still lived with my parents. We are throwing numbers around and figure that 150/month from each kid would be fair. Where else could they live for 150 month that included room, board, food, ect.
Whats your all thoughts?
this is none of yours,nore my business,
he let them move in for free, for a year now
if now he decided to change the deal,
he needs to talk to the mom and say ,
I can't go on like this, you need to collect
some rent from your boys or they need to move

Cigalert
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
A month after graduating high school, my parents came to me and said if you aren't going to college and going to be a student you will be paying rent. I paid $500 a month and moved out about 2 months later. This was in 1990. My sister paid that rent til she was 24.
Making them pay 100 bux a month is a joke......
What he said. My mom tried the same thing right after I graduated and I left. I'm not paying my parents the same ammount of rent as I would if I were on my own. There were too many restrictions for the price. You could call it unfair but I still consider it motivation.
Anyone who has asked me for a place to live always got fair market value for their room and what they used (food, water, electricity). If the full ammount of money was not available then they would have to replace a portion of their "rent" with chores...I didn't care if it wasn't their mess. But never would I do it for free in trade of services. Ca$h in the deal is the only option. I don't care if the owner can live without their income or not. A few years ago I let a guy sleep on my couch for 3 months. He paid $200 a month and was only there 3 nights a week. Nobody gets a free ride.
When I lived with someone I would fully detail his boat in trade for a week long river trip and he would also let me take that week off rent. I was named "boat bitch of the month" for almost a year but never got prefered parking. Thanks for the hook-up Mattman.

topless
12-11-2007, 07:14 AM
this is none of yours,nore my business,
he let them move in for free, for a year now
if now he decided to change the deal,
he needs to talk to the mom and say ,
I can't go on like this, you need to collect
some rent from your boys or they need to moveNot my business either.:idea: .

soupersonic
12-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Unless they are going to college, letting them stay isnt even an option at those ages.They need to grow up and the only way thats happening is to have them move out and be on their own.

Sherpa
12-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Cigalert could have been raised by my mom it seems........ We were given
the same rules you mentioned....
Rent would* have been a portion of your paycheck, not a set amount. I
think it was like 20% of monthly earnings/net. it wasn't rent, but was
room and board.
I never had to pay it, my sister was given the option after not wanting to
go to college, so she moved out. I had a job already, and was going to
college........
150 bucks is a joke, and since it seemed you never mentioned they had
jobs, where would that money be coming from anyway--? their mom-?

DelawareDave
12-11-2007, 07:26 AM
They would either pay rent, and help around the house, or be looking for another place to live.
We have one at home, with a 17 month old, due to unforseen circumstances with his ex-wife-to-be. He pays $200 per month. The youngest daughter (21)moved out, with her 4 YO boy, the first of the month. She was paying $150, but decided to move when I told her the rent was going up. Oh, well.

brianthomas
12-11-2007, 07:28 AM
They will just blow you off if you demand rent.
Change the locks and offer to open negotiations.

Caljamr
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Stories of young people like this disgust me. I started with a paper route at 12 y/o and have been working for what i have ever since. When i was 13 i wanted a 10 speed bike. My parents said if you want it by your 13th birthday you better start saving for it now. It was the best thing my parents ever did for me.
When i graduated HS you either paid your way or went to school. I went to school for a while but still worked full time and paid everything myself. I could never float on someones bill.
Now hearing this story......urrrggghhh. :devil: You don't tell them they have to pay. You just give them the rules. The rules include paying rent, food, cleaning and working. Let them pick if they want to go by the rules or live somewhere else.

Jbb
12-11-2007, 07:46 AM
A close friend let his girlfriend and 2 kids move in with him. Whats your all thoughts?
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44985&stc=1&d=1197387951

C.Fisher
12-11-2007, 08:39 AM
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44985&stc=1&d=1197387951
LMAO! Eventually he is going to do that if something with these two boys doest not happen

FOXMAN
12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Whats your all thoughts?
Thats one heck of a package deal he is working on.. Where did the kids get there work ethic?? If its the mom, show them all the door. My dad always said "if you need a place to live i will always be there for you" I feel the same way.. About MY kids..

QuickJet
12-11-2007, 09:18 PM
He needs to kick the two kids and the Mom out of his house.