PDA

View Full Version : Is the answer a diverter?

roostwear
05-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Here's what going on with my 18' Advantage (Rogers bubbledeck). It gets on plane quick, but when cruising, it takes a LOT of wheel to turn, and even then it's slow. Give it some throttle, and it'll turn quick. I've almost spun it twice already. The hull rides wetter than I'd like, and I should be getting more speed out of it than I am. It's a Berk E pump (converted to a C), A impeller and a mildly built 460.
My thought is that I need to get the hull up out of the water more, but a split bowl and droop are out of the question this year. I'll be putting a Place diverter on it (self defense), and hope I can get the hull to lift to cure the turning problem.
Thoughts, suggestions?

HalletDave
05-15-2003, 11:20 AM
You need to put my old Place diverter on it. :D
HD

roostwear
05-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Yup wink

HotHallet
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I put a diverter on my boat and it made all the difference in the world. Gets out of the hull faster and is just plain fun. I did notice some performance benefit as the boat gets out of the water more. I would not own a jet boat without one. As for the split bowl I am in the same boat as you-no pun intended. I have a "C" bowl and can't explore a droop for now and don't want to fork out the coin to have the bowl converted right now. I also have a 460 Ford mildly built and the boat runs great with the diverter in place. You will find that having the trim is nice. If you see a set of rollers coming your way put the diverter down and plow right through it. If you want to get the boat loose ratchet up. Your boat will perform the best with about a 3 foot tail.Put a diverter on your boat!!!!

stonehedge
05-15-2003, 11:55 AM
What is a split bowl? I have a Berk, with factory Berk droop snoop(extra long), and a place div., the pump has been blue printed and gone through and it has a nice(top loader type) intake, but "split"? Oh and how do I find out "a" or "c" etc....is that referring to the impeller? or pump type?
[ May 15, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: stonehedge ]

HammerDown
05-15-2003, 02:39 PM
stonehedge:
What is a split bowl? I have a Berk, with factory Berk droop snoop(extra long), and a place div., the pump has been blue printed and gone through and it has a nice(top loader type) intake, but "split"? Oh and how do I find out "a" or "c" etc....is that referring to the impeller? or pump type? If you have a Droop...you have a "Split Bowl".(unless it was a converted (c) bowl).
The Impeller is usually stamped on the back side. Who ever did your (blue print) should have all the info for you as far as Impeller size and what stage or level of Blue Print that was preformed.
On top of the pump (inside)...there should be a tag...it will read something like >
12JG-A The first 4# indicate what style of Berk it is...the (G) is a "split Bowl"...the (A) indicates what size or cut Impeller was installed in the pump at production.
PS...Rumor has it that "long Berk Droop" is a rare item and worth some $$$...keep it!

Old Guy
05-15-2003, 02:59 PM
You might want to check the bottom for hook. A little hook will go a long way towards making it ride real wet. I like a rudder on mine. Steers real nice.
old

stonehedge
05-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Thanks, it came from Bahner with the Berk and the Berk snoop, and I think its a 12JSC? Its been in the family since day one, actually came blown from Bahner. But thanks again for the info. I will check with the builder,(or re-builder) and get that info.