PDA

View Full Version : Notching Down Stringers on a Daytona...?

HammerDown
12-11-2007, 07:28 AM
*Just an idea I've had for a few years now...
Below is a pic of my stringers minus the two front seats. One thing I never liked about my 21' 1983 Daytona is it feels like I sit (on) the boat vs in the Boat. So, I was wondering if there was a good way to notch-down the Stringers to lower the seat height? Or, would this compromise the integrity of the Hull to a point it wouldn't be a good idea???
*I notice on the later year 21 Daytona's the Stringers are much narrower AND notched down!
If the feedback is positive...of coures I would need to figure a new way of mounting my front Buckets...industrial Velcro (lol)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/1064Picture_018.jpg

DelawareDave
12-11-2007, 07:43 AM
My stringers are full length. They are 3/4"x4 tall. They are notched down to 2" where the seats are. It looks to be factory. I have mounts similar to yours, with a 2" leg vertical. It is hard to get your hand under there to bolt the seats in, tho.

Unchained
12-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I've got the same hull and my seats are on top of the stringers too.
It doesnt feel to high to me in this boat but in the previous 19' boats it felt real high sitting on top of the stringers. I notched the stringers myself in the JJ Cheyenne.
When I had the Stealth I ordered it with notched stringers.
It is fine to notch them down in a tunnel hull boat.

Outlaw
12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey Hammer,
I have some pics of mine, yes later model, and they are cut down
from the engine to in front of the front seats,
where the front seat mount there is a second strip about 1 foot long
to mount the front seats to. Mine were actually screwed into the stringers
of course I'm filling in those holes and useing Aluminum angle to mount
them to.
I have some pics at home I can post later on if you would like to see them

Wizard612
12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
What are your plans? Where do you run? If you are planning to go 100+ in choppy water leave the stringers high, it may make you think twice about running fast if your proped on top of your boat. Seriously though I always wondered why Eliminator decided to have the big ol stringers right down the middle of the air traps to distribute the weight of the engine and driver? If you understand the basics of structural engineering the vertical portions of the inside of the sponsons and the vertical sides of the center pod connected to the sponson inboard sides, pod bottoms and the air trap top basically create an offset I beam Which if laid up right should be stronger than the stringer. For your driving comfort I would place bulkheads in front of the seats, between the seats and the motor and behind the motor and go ahead and cut down the stringers for the seat brackets. (Radius all cuts and cover with glass) Look for any stress cracks and reinforce as nessisary

HammerDown
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Hammer,
I have some pics of mine, yes later model, and they are cut down
from the engine to in front of the front seats,.../
I have some pics at home I can post later on if you would like to see them
Yes, please post what you have.
If I did cut mine down, I would (only) cut the area where the front Buckets are, nothing more.

HammerDown
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
.../For your driving comfort I would place bulkheads in front of the seats, between the seats and the motor and behind the motor and go ahead and cut down the stringers for the seat brackets. (Radius all cuts and cover with glass) Look for any stress cracks and reinforce as nessisary
Good idea, as the later 21 Daytona's have some extra bulkheads in the tunnels...mine only under the Deck.
Edit...there is one (small) Bulkhead, center tunnel right infront of the engine.

Outlaw
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Here are a couple, you can see the second strip
and the bulkheads my fuel tanks mount
to the bulkheads notice the two mounting holes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P10100092.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P10100103.JPG

craig moss
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I had a mantra and the stringers were cut out and I had no problem:D

Blown Away
12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
My stringer have been notched where the seats are and It looks to be factory.My 21 is a 1984

proples
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
I have the same hull (83, 21ft) and my stringers are verry small 3/4 x 1 3/4 tall (outboard layup). I would think the big stringers were there to distribute the weight of the motor or to mount a V drive like Unchained has, not to add strength to the hull. So, I would say go ahead and cut them down and be comfortable.:D
Here is a pic of mine, excuse the mess this was the day I got it and it looked like the prev owner used it to haul hay :notam:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/propless/myDaytona03.jpg

propduster
12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
My 92 21' Daytona. When I bought it it looked like they were notched out w/ a sawzall so I used a belt sander and a round file to remove the 90deg corner and smooth out the rough cuts. If you do it stay away from sharp corners. I was told the wood may split easier at a 90deg. corner.

HammerDown
12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the feedback/support...I'm thinking this Spring I'll break out the power tools!:)

HammerDown
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Here are a couple, you can see the second strip
and the bulkheads my fuel tanks mount
to the bulkheads notice the two mounting holes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P10100092.JPG
What do ya think the 2 strips down the center are for...?

TRG
12-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Keeping the Keel from moving around, imagine how much pressure is in that area, especialy on a lighter hull?