PDA

View Full Version : obscure 80's Christmas album - help!

~FM
12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
This is a long shot but I'll give it a go anyway ...
Album Title: Christmas Is For Children
cover had Santa and some kids
artist: mostly various kids singing (not mini pops though, lol)
tracks/lyrics I recall:
I Want A Brand New Brother
"I want a brand new brother
I don't like the one I've got
not like the mean old brother
that Mommy and Daddy brought
this little brother wouldn't be like the other
Santa tell you what
bring me a brother for Christmas
I don't like the one I've got"
Hey There Mr. Evergreen
"hey there Mr. Evergreen
Do you know what you mean to me?
I've waited the whole year
Now Christmas time is here
I love you Mr. Evergreen"
*Santa Please (*=unsure of title)
"Santa please
this is my Christmas list
Santa please
Fill in the things I've missed
Make the world a better place
No more sickness war or waste
bring joy to every human face
bring joy to the human race
some places kids are hungry
some kids have lots to eat
some are strong and healthy
some kids are sick and weak
it's not fair that some kids have
while other kids have not
Santa please give those who don't have
some of the things I've got"
This was one of my favorite Christmas albums growing up and I would love to have it again. I've Googled it and come up short. I tried allmusicguide.com and no can find there either. If you know where I can buy it or download it please share. Thanks ... and Merry Christmas. :)

Cheap Thrills
12-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Found one of the same title but the cover and songs were a bit different.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45017&stc=1&d=1197422185
T.

~FM
12-11-2007, 05:24 PM
That's not it. Thanks for trying though. :) It may have been a proceeds go to charity album? :idea:

uvindex
12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Google returned the stuff quoted below from http://christmasyuleblog.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html. See tracks 6 and 15 below. Go to the link and you'll see another link that claims you can download this album. Hope this helps! :)
Buried in my stack of CDs was the OTHER album by the Ontario Lottery Corporation! Released in 1982, these sixteen tracks were possibly if not probably used for radio & TV commercials for the Ontario Lottery.
The first album was very straightlaced - harmonized singing, lush orchestra, well produced, occasionally some of the strangest lyrics you'll ever hear, and very homoginized. It's worth a listen and a chuckle.
This second album has these elements and a little bit more. The camp factor on this album is ten times higher than the first album - making this one of the best finds of the year in my book!
Here's a track by track review:
1.) Christmas Is For Children
There was a song on the first album with the exact title. Coincidence? This one isn't oversung though!
2.) Whenever It Snows
"Whenever it snows, I wiggle my toes, I can hardly wait to get out my skates..." Yep, she's Canadian!
3.) Santa's Gotta New Bag
They try SOOO hard to make this a James Brown tune and by 10 seconds in, you're laughing hysterically!
4.) A Change Of Heart
Christmas singers croon to a Scrooge-like character and guess what happens by the end of the song?
5.) Santa's Favourite Day
The number of "good/bad" lyrics in this one here are too many to type. My jaws are hurting from laffin...
6.) Brand New Brother
Opening lyric - "I want a brand new brother... I don't like the one I've got." It goes downhill from there. Some family issues to deal with here.
7.) Merry Christmas Bells
This is a lively tune - perfect commercial material for lottery tickets!
8.) A Letter To Santa
A kid "writes/recites" his letter to Santa for the first minute, then sings an emotional plea for world harmony & peace! Get me my vomit bucket, quick!
9.) Hymn For Christmas
A simple tune done very well. Possibly the most normal song on the whole album!
10.) Snow Ride
"Snowwww Rideeeeeee..." It starts out straight but ends up campy, complete with lyrics to snicker at!
11.) Reindeer Roundup
From note one, this country/cowboy flavored song is headshakingly strange... I LOVED IT!
12.) The Gift Of Christmas
WOW! This one's fantastic! Probably the best song off either lottery album! Great stuff!
13.) March Of The Toys
A Macy's Parade set to music... it's good, it's bad, it's campy, it's funny, it's causing my ears to bleed...
14.) Christmas In The City
Opening lyric - "Magical moment on a magical night, we're heading out to the big city lights." I prefer the country, thanks!
15.) Mr. Evergreen
A little girl sings to an evergreen tree her father planted... GREAT JUMPING ICEBERGS! This one must be heard to be believed... I'm wiping tears away...
16.) Christmas Is For Children (Reprise)
Just when you think you've reached the camp ceiling... LAFFIN SO HARD... can't... reach... the... STOP... button...
Whew... the Shatner mode wore off and the CD is over. I used to play "Tiny Tim's Christmas Album" to clear a room - this one might just do the same thing!
If you're brave enough, you can STILL download this album (as well as the first lottery album). Jeff, thanks for sharing these gems with us!

~FM
12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Google returned the stuff quoted below from http://christmasyuleblog.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html. See tracks 6 and 15 below. Go to the link and you'll see another link that claims you can download this album. Hope this helps! :)
Buried in my stack of CDs was the OTHER album by the Ontario Lottery Corporation! Released in 1982, these sixteen tracks were possibly if not probably used for radio & TV commercials for the Ontario Lottery.
The first album was very straightlaced - harmonized singing, lush orchestra, well produced, occasionally some of the strangest lyrics you'll ever hear, and very homoginized. It's worth a listen and a chuckle.
This second album has these elements and a little bit more. The camp factor on this album is ten times higher than the first album - making this one of the best finds of the year in my book!
Here's a track by track review:
1.) Christmas Is For Children
There was a song on the first album with the exact title. Coincidence? This one isn't oversung though!
2.) Whenever It Snows
"Whenever it snows, I wiggle my toes, I can hardly wait to get out my skates..." Yep, she's Canadian!
3.) Santa's Gotta New Bag
They try SOOO hard to make this a James Brown tune and by 10 seconds in, you're laughing hysterically!
4.) A Change Of Heart
Christmas singers croon to a Scrooge-like character and guess what happens by the end of the song?
5.) Santa's Favourite Day
The number of "good/bad" lyrics in this one here are too many to type. My jaws are hurting from laffin...
6.) Brand New Brother
Opening lyric - "I want a brand new brother... I don't like the one I've got." It goes downhill from there. Some family issues to deal with here.
7.) Merry Christmas Bells
This is a lively tune - perfect commercial material for lottery tickets!
8.) A Letter To Santa
A kid "writes/recites" his letter to Santa for the first minute, then sings an emotional plea for world harmony & peace! Get me my vomit bucket, quick!
9.) Hymn For Christmas
A simple tune done very well. Possibly the most normal song on the whole album!
10.) Snow Ride
"Snowwww Rideeeeeee..." It starts out straight but ends up campy, complete with lyrics to snicker at!
11.) Reindeer Roundup
From note one, this country/cowboy flavored song is headshakingly strange... I LOVED IT!
12.) The Gift Of Christmas
WOW! This one's fantastic! Probably the best song off either lottery album! Great stuff!
13.) March Of The Toys
A Macy's Parade set to music... it's good, it's bad, it's campy, it's funny, it's causing my ears to bleed...
14.) Christmas In The City
Opening lyric - "Magical moment on a magical night, we're heading out to the big city lights." I prefer the country, thanks!
15.) Mr. Evergreen
A little girl sings to an evergreen tree her father planted... GREAT JUMPING ICEBERGS! This one must be heard to be believed... I'm wiping tears away...
16.) Christmas Is For Children (Reprise)
Just when you think you've reached the camp ceiling... LAFFIN SO HARD... can't... reach... the... STOP... button...
Whew... the Shatner mode wore off and the CD is over. I used to play "Tiny Tim's Christmas Album" to clear a room - this one might just do the same thing!
If you're brave enough, you can STILL download this album (as well as the first lottery album). Jeff, thanks for sharing these gems with us!
http://www.jeffco.ca/christmas/covers/large/children.jpg
Yes, this is the one! God bless you and thank-you very much! :cool: You must have some special Googling skills :D - what was the secret word combination that brought up that result? :confused: I really did try!
P.S. ***boat comes through on a long shot once again! :D :cool:

Cheap Thrills
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Even the download works :D
T.

~FM
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Even the download works :D
T.
I KNOW!!! :D

uvindex
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
what was the secret word combination that brought up that result? :confused: I really did try!I'm so glad to have helped. :)
It was easy with your clue. I googled the following:
lyrics "i want a brand new brother" (quotes around "I want a new brother" and lyrics outside the quotes).
The christmasyuleblog site was the first hit.

~FM
12-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm so glad to have helped. :)
It was easy with your clue. I googled the following:
lyrics "i want a brand new brother" (quotes around "I want a new brother" and lyrics outside the quotes).
The christmasyuleblog site was the first hit.
I had Googled for the Mr. Evergreen lyrics in a similar manner and also for the album title; guess I should have tried lyrics from the other songs too. :o