PDA

View Full Version : How do I get....

Saab
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
THIS PUPPY TO BE QUEIT????
Just got a 7 month old pit, and he has very bad "seperation anxiety" (sp)
He whines for about an hour after I put him outside... sounds like he is being beaten. He was just seperated from his mama and everyone he knew. My friend couldnt keep him. any suggestions? what works for you?
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/12100720541.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/12080711521.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
12-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Bbq.

phebus
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Cute dog. Be patient, and don't give in to the dog. It will learn, and shouldn't take long.

XtrmWakeborder
12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Beat it into submission...:sqeyes:

CampbellCarl
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm no expert but, I noticed you've got a 'crate' for him inside the house. Either get another one just like it and fill it with stuff he/she can sniff with your scent (old unwashed t-shirt etc) or move his crate outside when he goes out. He's just looking for the new surroundings and trying to make it 'home' for him. Be patient but don't give in!
CC

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Both my dogs did that for a day or two when we first brought each home, they are in unfamiliar surroundings so its partly fright. Once they get aquainted with the place they will do fine.
Still to this day whenever we take our dog to our river house and arrive late in the day/eve we have to keep her inside, if we arrive in the day and she has a few hours to "remember" this place she's fine....kinda odd I thought but makes sense.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Bbq.
:2purples:
Careful, or I'm going to give you a little puppy for your very own. :D

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Careful, or I'm going to give you a little puppy for your very own. :DUmpah Loompah's scare puppies so please don't do that.

EAZYKILLER2006
12-11-2007, 06:38 PM
he could just disappear, like my pets always seem to do:D ?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Umpah Loompah's scare puppies so please don't do that.
True, why torture the poor creature.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
okay Saab, (do they still make Saabs?) how long have you had the pup, and is it outside at night? Need more info.

Havasu Hangin'
12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Careful, or I'm going to give you a little puppy for your very own. :D
Mmmmmmmm....I would love a Buffalo Puppy drumstick right about now.
:D

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
okay Saab, (do they still make Saabs?) how long have you had the pup, and is it outside at night? Need more info.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:
lmao, you realize three of us here have a connection to Saab in one way or another.

SummitKarl
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Cute dog. Be patient, and don't give in to the dog. It will learn, and shouldn't take long.
did you just give advice on how to have quiet well behaved dogs:2purples: :D
notice I am staying out of it:D :) :D

Schiada76
12-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Sell him to Michael Vick.:sqeyes:

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Sell him to Michael Vick.:sqeyes:That comment was bound to pop up......

AZKC
12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
lmao, you realize three of us here have a connection to Saab in one way or another.
Score stands MMSW 1 Zig 0
On topic:) spend some time outside with the pooch. Go in and out a few times showing him that you'll be back. They really feel that your going to leave them outside forever, need to become adjusted to the in and out and spending time alone. Cute Pup ;)

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 07:08 PM
On topic:) spend some time outside with the pooch. Go in and out a few times showing him that you'll be back. They really feel that your going to leave them outside forever, need to become adjusted to the in and out and spending time alone. Cute Pup ;)
How's that? I'm a dealer, Saab has Saab as a screen name and HH drives one.....that's like 3 Ziggy, O MMSW
But I understand, I like her better too. ;) :D
BTW--check out Saab's new AWD Aero-X car at your local car shows the next few months...awesome.;) :D :D

MR.rvrluvr
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
i DUCT TAPED my dogs mouth shut once.......shut him right up.....eeverytime he barks to long I show him the tape he shuts right up.....BEST $2.00 i ever spent:)

AZKC
12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
How's that? I'm a dealer, Saab has Saab as a screen name and HH drives one.....that's like 3 Ziggy, O MMSW
But I understand, I like her better too. ;) :D
BTW--check out Saab's new AWD Aero-X car at your local car shows the next few months...awesome.;) :D :D
I was scoring more so on the , "getting your sunglasses knocked off by a girl at the gas pumps" scoring system:D

AZKC
12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
i DUCT TAPED my dogs mouth shut once.......shut him right up.....eeverytime he barks to long I show him the tape he shuts right up.....BEST $2.00 i ever spent:)
OK, that works to. I've used it on kids before:D

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I was scoring more so on the , "getting your sunglasses knocked off by a girl at the gas pumps" scoring system:D That always happens to me with the good looking girls :D:D although generally I remove the glasses for a better view :)

BLEWBAYOU1
12-11-2007, 07:23 PM
You must be a Michael Vick fan.:mad: Thats about the worst thing you can do to a dog! But then again a dog is only as smart as it's owner!:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Did you change your screen name? or has it always been that? :idea: Maybe I need some more wine :D
And Zig, I've got you a couple of times with that, but it's been a while. I just don't see Saabs much anymore. Guess you should get to selling some :devil:

OCMerrill
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
You guys are all fighter pilots? :D
Saab...well my kids tell it best
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC01296.JPG

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
You guys are all fighter pilots? :D
Saab...well my kids tell it best
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC01296.JPGcool pic. Saab and Scania are big companies but the car division is their smallest. Fighter planes, Busses and Trucks are the big part of their production. Rockets and Satelites are in their portfolio too. ;)

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Did you change your screen name? or has it always been that? :idea: Maybe I need some more wine :D
And Zig, I've got you a couple of times with that, but it's been a while. I just don't see Saabs much anymore. Guess you should get to selling some :devil:
I owe you a little spankin' young lady..LOL Saab's aren't as "Different" as they used to be so you may not be looking for the correct car anymore, now they are cool looking :D

riverroyal
12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I know how.This may piss a few people off but it works.We had a trainer come to the house for months with our lab.When you put the dog in the crate,walk away.When it whines take your hand a slam it down on the create top and yell NO.Do it hard.It sounds rough,and at 1st it is.But after a few nights or days all you need to do is yell NO.The dog does not want that hand slap on the create.
Next,the dog is on YOUR schedule, so if it whines at 7am and you get up at 8,slap the create.It took about 4 or 5 days of this,worked great

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I know how.This may piss a few people off but it works.We had a trainer come to the house for months with our lab.When you put the dog in the crate,walk away.When it whines take your hand a slam it down on the create top and yell NO.Do it hard.It sounds rough,and at 1st it is.But after a few nights or days all you need to do is yell NO.The dog does not want that hand slap on the create.
Next,the dog is on YOUR schedule, so if it whines at 7am and you get up at 8,slap the create.It took about 4 or 5 days of this,worked greatLMAO on the sigline

riverroyal
12-11-2007, 07:55 PM
LMAO on the sigline
at that one.I think it made my day:D

OCMerrill
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/12080711521.jpg
The vet can give you Zanex for dogs to help calm them untill they can get over the hump so to speak.
Problem I see is stuffing a pill down the throat of your dog. :eek:
I would pass.:D

OCMerrill
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM
cool pic. Saab and Scania are big companies but the car division is their smallest. Fighter planes, Busses and Trucks are the big part of their production. Rockets and Satelites are in their portfolio too. ;)
My folks have owned many including a Sonnet for many years. The engine in that car was a Ford V8 cut in half (V4) so I was told.
Classic thread jack right there. Opps.

Ziggy
12-11-2007, 10:18 PM
My folks have owned many including a Sonnet for many years. The engine in that car was a Ford V8 cut in half (V4) so I was told.
Classic thread jack right there. Opps.Basically yes, but it was an actual FoMoCo V4 that was used as a tractor engine, practically bullet proof. It was used in the Ford Capri in the latter 70's too. The weakest link in that motor was a fiber timing gear that would wear out, Steel ones were available as replacement option but made the motor much louder.
We've been a Saab dealer since the two stroke days, in fact we're the oldest Saab dealer west of the Mississippi. :D

Saab
12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I have had him 4 days, 3 nights. First nite he stayed inside on a leash at the foot of my bed, ate my phone charger, and about every 20 minutes he would bark... I'd wake up and look at him.... wag his tail then lay down... funny guy.
Night two I tried leaving him outside, he whined pretty solid for about two hours. I put him in the garage, that was louder than when he was outside, after 20 minutes I brought him in and he slept at the foot of my bed on a leash, no barking this time.
Yesterday I picked up the kennel and he slept in there in my room, no issues. Every morning when I put him out he whines about 10 minutes, If I walk by the back door and he see's me, there another 10 minutes of whinig when I walk away.
I plan on having him inside most of the time i'm home. But for now I dont wanna baby him too much and make my problem worse. I've walked him about two miles everyday to get him tired, but that doesnt work. He whines outside and as soon as he comes in he goes to sleep.
I understand he is a pup still and after being taken away from his mom he is gonna be but hurt, and probably scared. He gets better every day.

Rexone
12-12-2007, 02:53 AM
He will continue to get better. Be tough and don't give in to him. I've had a couple shelter dogs (not puppies) that were more hardcore cases on this issue. I used a citronella collar on one with success as he was very skittish and didn't respond verbally. The other I would go out and firmly say "quiet" (I prefer not to use "no" for every problem so they learn what certain commands mean, in this case "quiet" meaning stfu). I had to reinforce that with water in a spray bottle right in the face along with the word "quiet". Now one firm "quiet" is all it takes. Both barking / sep anx issues are now things of the past and no barking issues. Some dogs will take a little longer than others. Some will respond to different methods better than others. Most all are trainable if you have the patience to do it.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
12-12-2007, 07:30 AM
When we got our large dog, we crated him at night in the house, outside he would whine to come in and to this day when he wants in he still whines so the door gets opened, he goes right to the crate and lays down. That is there safe zone so to speak. Do you have a doggy door so when you are at home he/she can go in and out as pleases?
The little one is confused and just needs alot of love, I do not beleive in hitting a dog, for then they fear the hand, we hunt our dog and use a collar on him, but now we never have to use the zap part we just use the beep. What a difference it makes using the collar for they never associate the zap with the owner and beleive me they do mind.
Good luck and he/she will relax soon and settle down.

Ziggy
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I have had him 4 days, 3 nights. First nite he stayed inside on a leash at the foot of my bed, ate my phone charger, and about every 20 minutes he would bark... I'd wake up and look at him.... wag his tail then lay down... funny guy.
Night two I tried leaving him outside, he whined pretty solid for about two hours. I put him in the garage, that was louder than when he was outside, after 20 minutes I brought him in and he slept at the foot of my bed on a leash, no barking this time.
Yesterday I picked up the kennel and he slept in there in my room, no issues. Every morning when I put him out he whines about 10 minutes, If I walk by the back door and he see's me, there another 10 minutes of whinig when I walk away.
I plan on having him inside most of the time i'm home. But for now I dont wanna baby him too much and make my problem worse. I've walked him about two miles everyday to get him tired, but that doesnt work. He whines outside and as soon as he comes in he goes to sleep.
I understand he is a pup still and after being taken away from his mom he is gonna be but hurt, and probably scared. He gets better every day. Sounds like you are on the right path with the little guy, stay patient.
Good looking pup too.

BarryMac
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
LMAO on the sigline
at that one.I think it made my day:D
FAGS!!! :D
Good luck with the Pup Saab, he's cute, like the others said just be firm with him, some training with a professional would be good as well...