PDA

View Full Version : getting ready to paint. Gel or paint?

NautiII
03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I am getting ready to paint my boat. anybody know how it is to spray gel cote? is there a different style of spray gun, or is it the same? just trying to find out what is best, and cost efficient. also, how is speed coating applied? I have access to a paint booth, and plan on trying to do it at the shop. thanks for your help!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-06-2006, 08:11 PM
scott, get coat is applied by a HvLp " hi-volume,Low pressure" gun. Gelcoat is very thick. Just paint it and enjoy it. Just make sure that he uses a good sealer,primer, base and clear coat. Ty(460) just got his repainted by one of my buddies and his boat looks bitchin;) He layed the paint down very nice. Gelcoat is very exspensive so paint that biotch:D

BrendellaJet
03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
scott, get coat is applied by a HvLp " hi-volume,Low pressure" gun. Gelcoat is very thick. Just paint it and enjoy it. Just make sure that he uses a good sealer,primer, base and clear coat. Ty(460) just got his repainted by one of my buddies and his boat looks bitchin;) He layed the paint down very nice. Gelcoat is very exspensive so paint that biotch:D
I Gelled my boat. I'd paint it if I had to do it again :220v:

BOOGEYMAN
03-06-2006, 09:10 PM
I do paint work for a living....just paint that bitch!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I know where ya commin' from;) Its not easy and you better be on top of your game;)

beerjet
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
If it's a smaller boat that is never gonna get walked on , paint is definatly the way to go. With a day cruiser where you might get some foot traffic on the deck some where, the gel will hold up alot better. My .02
-beerjet-

NautiII
03-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone! paint it will be!!!!!!! 396, call me! 460, you ready to adjust my rockers? give me a shout!

wright27
03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I would never paint a boat. It will not last. It will crack and the clear will turn to shit. Gel will last. It cost more, but if you plan on keeping the boat it will be worth it in the long run. The guy that did my gel work told me that paint and gel are a bad mix and to get paint off gel is a real bitch.

BrendellaJet
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I would never paint a boat. It will not last. It will crack and the clear will turn to shit. Gel will last. It cost more, but if you plan on keeping the boat it will be worth it in the long run. The guy that did my gel work told me that paint and gel are a bad mix and to get paint off gel is a real bitch.
You are obviously using the wrong materials if the paint is cracking or pealing. If its hard to get paint off of gel...thats A GOOD THING! Plenty of nice boats with custom paint jobs that look good for a long time if cared for properly. They may not be as durable, but if you dont have fat chicks or a bunch of brats crawling over your boat, paint is the way to go. Sounds like your "Gel guy" wanted you to spend a bunch of money...

texas-19
03-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Look at the how-to-section, paint works fine if done right.
Thier would be no need to get paint off unless it's a bad job,
then it's gonna come off by itself.

wright27
03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
You are obviously using the wrong materials if the paint is cracking or pealing. If its hard to get paint off of gel...thats A GOOD THING! Plenty of nice boats with custom paint jobs that look good for a long time if cared for properly. They may not be as durable, but if you dont have fat chicks or a bunch of brats crawling over your boat, paint is the way to go. Sounds like your "Gel guy" wanted you to spend a bunch of money...
All my gel guy did was some dash hole fills and re-gel. Then colorsand the boat. He had nothing to gain by saying what he said. I have never seen a painted boat that is over 5 years old that looks good. So until I do I will be all about gel. It just lasts alot longer. IMO, not trying to start a war we have to many of those in here already.

painterdan32
03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
All my gel guy did was some dash hole fills and re-gel. Then colorsand the boat. He had nothing to gain by saying what he said. I have never seen a painted boat that is over 5 years old that looks good. So until I do I will be all about gel. It just lasts alot longer. IMO, not trying to start a war we have to many of those in here already.
I'm a paint guy myself, but I agree with the arguement here. It all comes down to useage. Wether paint or gell last longer will be debated for years to come. If gell coat is so much better, why do all the camper shells on 4 year old pickup trucks look like they were sandblasted? and likewise, why is the paint falling off the same darn truck? Quality products, quality prep work, quality planning, quality execution. Works in any application. My .02. Painted mine though...Thats what I do. I am told though and it's something I'm looking into... Square footage wise a far as product is concerned... Gell product is much cheaper! Where's the expense if materials are 59% cheaper? Noone ever wins a war. We just loose good boaters! Good luck to you and your boat! Daniel.
:idea:

BrendellaJet
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Not sure what you paid for a regel, but around here it starts at 5k for a simple one or 2 color design. Its a lot of work(sanding) but the materials are cheaper and no doubt it is more durable. Like I said, if someone takes care of their ride, the paint will last. No wars here either!

wsuwrhr
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
You don't even know....
Never again.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Billy B might disagree with you.
He has two of his own personal boats that have some sun under their belts.
One has 10-13 years on it, the other was the first boat he painted 20+years ago.
Gel is definitely more durable, but it is a lot harder to do.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Gel may be cheaper to buy, but it is a ton more work after you spray it on.
Sand Sand Sand.
Sand Sand Sand.
Brian
I'm a paint guy myself, but I agree with the arguement here. It all comes down to useage. Wether paint or gell last longer will be debated for years to come. If gell coat is so much better, why do all the camper shells on 4 year old pickup trucks look like they were sandblasted? and likewise, why is the paint falling off the same darn truck? Quality products, quality prep work, quality planning, quality execution. Works in any application. My .02. Painted mine though...Thats what I do. I am told though and it's something I'm looking into... Square footage wise a far as product is concerned... Gell product is much cheaper! Where's the expense if materials are 59% cheaper? Noone ever wins a war. We just loose good boaters! Good luck to you and your boat! Daniel.
:idea:

wsuwrhr
03-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I gelled my Anthony.
Noone wanted to help out a 25 year old kid, as a result, I taught myself how to do it.
I couldn't buy gel in any color other than white or black. You have to mix the colors yourself by buying tint. If you want a certain color, you have to mix it yourself.
I don't mean buying the chosen color and putting it in, I am talking mixing yellow and blue to get green. Not an easy task for me anyway. It was a long
process.
It wasn't very easy. It comes out with some serious orange peel that must be sanded smooth. It is very hard, so it is a chore to sand. But it does shine up real good when done.
If I had to do it again, I would paint it.
I gelled a friend's jet ski last week. Due to the weather, I haven't sanded it yet, but it came out real good.
Not as much surface area as a boat hull either.
I am painting the topside though, that was part of the deal.
Brian

BrendellaJet
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
You don't even know....
Never again.
Brian
Oh yeah? Ask me how I know! Part of my deck delaminated and ruined what you see here. Looked good when cold, put it in the sun and I got a 4" bubble right in the center.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212Picture_007.jpg

wright27
03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Not sure what you paid for a regel, but around here it starts at 5k for a simple one or 2 color design. Its a lot of work(sanding) but the materials are cheaper and no doubt it is more durable. Like I said, if someone takes care of their ride, the paint will last. No wars here either!
The guy I bought the boat from put a piece of material around the dash and 3 ft down both sides. The holes were very uneven. I had the holes filled and all of the inside of the boat regeled white. I also had a 2x2 ft spot on the transom and a 1x1 spot under the bow done, and color sand the top. This cost me $500 to get this work done with gel. My southwind before this boat had paint. It had small spider wed cracks in alot of various spots on the hull. My challenger is original gel from 1978, has no cracks and after a color sand looks new again.

beerjet
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
brendella . About that bubble , can you push down on it , is it soft . I think I got something similar but not sure.

BrendellaJet
03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
The guy I bought the boat from put a piece of material around the dash and 3 ft down both sides. The holes were very uneven. I had the holes filled and all of the inside of the boat regeled white. I also had a 2x2 ft spot on the transom and a 1x1 spot under the bow done, and color sand the top. This cost me $500 to get this work done with gel. My southwind before this boat had paint. It had small spider wed cracks in alot of various spots on the hull. My challenger is original gel from 1978, has no cracks and after a color sand looks new again.
Well, whatever works for you. Nobody is saying that paint is more durable, but if there are spider cracks in paint over glass, its probably because the original gel/glass is checked. Paint will not hide that new or old.

wright27
03-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Here is a pic of 28 year old gel.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11784&stc=1
Anyone got a 28 year old paint pic?

wsuwrhr
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah? Ask me how I know! Part of my deck delaminated and ruined what you see here. Looked good when cold, put it in the sun and I got a 4" bubble right in the center.
Sorry to hear,
I wasn't doubting you, hopfully you didn't miss the jist of my post. I agree with you.
Brian

BrendellaJet
03-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Anyone got a 28 year old paint pic?
Not 28, but 26. My vote is for the paint. Im sure you will agree.
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20015.jpg

BrendellaJet
03-07-2006, 09:10 PM
brendella . About that bubble , can you push down on it , is it soft . I think I got something similar but not sure.
The bubble only comes out when the it has been in the sun a few minutes. Can push down on it. When it has cooled off it is not noticeable to the eye, however if you tap on the hull with your fingernail in the spot where the bubble is, you can tell its hollow underneath...I was so pissed when I realized, that I ground through the gel in all directions until I was hitting solid glass again and filled it back up with fresh mat.

wright27
03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20015.jpg
Looks good. I have never seen paint last that long. I have never had that good of luck with paint. So who can make paint last long, being as it is less expensive I am sure the guy who started this thread would like to know.

El Prosecutor
03-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice! Where can I get some of that 28 year old gel?
Seriously though, that is a nice looking boat.

Wally_Gator
03-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Paint or Gel....
Although I said never again... I am re-gelling some of my boat. (Hidden damage)
For what I am doing, rough estimate of materials was twice the cost of gel. So Gel it was...
As with anything it is all in how well you take care of Gel or Paint.
I have seen 30 year old boats that still look near new and others that color sanding will never bring it back in both Gel and Paint.
So the way I call it, it is like this..
1. If you have rugrats and or Boat Biaotches that crawl all over your boat. Gel is a good bet for you.
2. Absent of #1 and you want intracate fades, go with paint.
3. Wax your boat and take care of it..

NautiII
03-08-2006, 07:26 AM
well, I still say paint it is. my friends that are painting the boat have been in the business for over 30 years. and, if I do happen to scuff it, they will fix it. I dont sweat the small stuff. I take care of my toys. paint scheme wont be nothing fancy, just simple and nice to look at. will post pics when done. thanks for everyones input. you can kinda see my progress on my 72 kona project post.

wsuwrhr
03-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Yep that's one of them. I couldn't find any to post.
Brian