PDA

View Full Version : Bentley needs surgery

mrs.robk
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I found out my dog needs surgery on both knees! He fell off of someone's lap Saturday night and after a trip to the emergency vet and his normal vet, he's been diagnosed with luxating patellas. His left one is popped out of place and won't go back in :(
I'm waiting to hear back on when I can bring him in for the operation. It's gonna cost $2800 :eek:

topless
12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I found out my dog needs surgery on both knees! He fell off of someone's lap Saturday night and after a trip to the emergency vet and his normal vet, he's been diagnosed with luxating patellas. His left one is popped out of place and won't go back in :(
I'm waiting to hear back on when I can bring him in for the operation. It's gonna cost $2800 :eek:
Pomeranians are prone to that. What kind of dog is Bentley?

mrs.robk
12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
He's a maltese. Just over a year old.... I have pictures of him on my myspace page. Poor guy, he's hopping around on three legs right now.

John.
12-12-2007, 02:15 PM
We also had our vet tell us just over three weeks ago that our dog Kobe needs surgery...again. He had knee surgery earlier this year and now might have a slipped disc and they said he needs back surgery. So they tell us $2500 for a special x-ray deal and then maybe another $4k for a surgery. That's on top of the $4k we've already done for his knee.
Anyways, we decided to give doggie acupuncture a shot. he's had 3 sessions so far and is responding well. They are building up certain muscles and we now definitely will not have to do back surgery. acupuncture doctor also says they could have fixed his knee problem. $75 per acupuncture session is much better than $6500 in xray and surgery.

topless
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Poor baby.
http://a49.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/88/l_6aafac7cdfb9554b7c882eea599d7500.jpg
http://a159.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/30/l_4502207a9ed5ea5987bdd293e90ba54e.jpg

mrs.robk
12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Thank you topless!!
I've never heard of doggie acupuncture... Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it!

John.
12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Thank you topless!!
I've never heard of doggie acupuncture... Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it!
normally, I'd think it was a load of crap. I'm not big o nthe chinese herbal stuff and acupuncture and all that. but I figured it was worth a try. we have a 140 pound dog and so back surgery is really not an option. we wouldn't have a way to care for him after the surgery. so anyways, we gave it a shot and its working so far. I just googled "canine acupuncture" and found a licensed vet who is also trained in the acupuncture.
good luck!

imirsh1
12-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I have a pug that had the same knee problem , They told me that they had to do surgery as well. I felt that it was kind of felt that surgery should have been a last resort. So I asked them if they could do something else, they gave him a cortisone shot and he was fine after 36 hours and never a problem since.

mrs.robk
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a pug that had the same knee problem , They told me that they had to do surgery as well. I felt that it was kind of felt that surgery should have been a last resort. So I asked them if they could do something else, they gave him a cortisone shot and he was fine after 36 hours and never a problem since.
The vet gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and said he might be fine in a couple days but he still won't use his left leg. I heard back from the vet tonight and the surgeon is going to look at him on the 27th....

Havasu1986
12-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Have you looked into getting pet insurance. :confused:

mrs.robk
12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately it's considered a *pre-existing* condition, so pet insurance won't cover it. :(

Rexone
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
How is Bentley doing? :)

Outnumbered
12-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately it's considered a *pre-existing* condition, so pet insurance won't cover it. :(
I'm sure Hillary can fix that:D.

photo chick
12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
My Beagle was diagnosed with the same thing 5 years ago. I've had 6 knee surgeries and refused to put him through it. He was put on medication for the rest of his life but is just fine now. He limped for a few weeks but it went away eventually.
I'm also curious how Bentley is doing?

mrs.robk
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
He's ok right now..... Poor guy is hopping around on 3 legs. The vet said he's not in much pain. His surgery is scheduled for the 27th... And then I can pick him up the 29th. I took the whole week after off so I can take care of him...
Thanks for the concern! Bentley appreciates it :)

photo chick
12-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Good luck with the surgery!! Keep us posted afterwards, I hope everything works out great! :D