PDA

View Full Version : Question

soupersonic
12-12-2007, 05:45 PM
The wife got in a rear end collision a little bit ago, we took the car straight to the body shop because she needed a rental. They gave an estimate of $4444 and change. The insurance adjuster wrote it for $4844. All of the sudden the repair shop is billing it at the $4844. Now if i had gotten the estimate and the check and then went to the repair shop the extra $400 would be in my pocket. But since i went to the shop first, are they entitled? Do i ask them for the $$ or should the insurance company even get the money back? Whats the norm? tia :)

Jbb
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
The wife got in a rear end collision a little bit ago, we took the car straight to the body shop because she needed a rental. They gave an estimate of $4444 and change. The insurance adjuster wrote it for $4844. All of the sudden the repair shop is billing it at the $4844. Now if i had gotten the estimate and the check and then went to the repair shop the extra $400 would be in my pocket. But since i went to the shop first, are they entitled? Do i ask them for the $$ or should the insurance company even get the money back? Whats the norm? tia :)
Is it possible they found more damage ...and wrote a supplemental est....?

soupersonic
12-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Possible, but they gave the estimate after they had the car apart. I saw this with my own eyes.Then our insurance adjuster gave an estimate and a check for $400 more. All of the sudden the repair shop found exactly $400 more dollars worth of repairs.

Jbb
12-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Possible, but they gave the estimate after they had the car apart. I saw this with my own eyes.Then our insurance adjuster gave an estimate and a check for $400 more. All of the sudden the repair shop found exactly $400 more dollars worth of repairs.
It's not really uncommon to find more to replace after disassembly.....Ask the shop about it...

soupersonic
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I will , i just found it a coincidence for it to be an identical amount.

pw_Tony
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
This is what I do everyday, write estimates with insurance companys for the body shop.
The body shop might not have written as a complete an estimate as the appraiser for the insurance company. Why? I dunno, could be lazy, trying to make it cheap, or just lack of skill of estimating.
So if the insurance wrote the check for $4844, then that's what the body shop gets. Otherwise they would have just asked to supplement for more stuff for additional $400.