PDA

View Full Version : How much has technology changed your life?

Boozer
12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I left my phone at a friends house last night, I've been absolutely lost today without my phone and it got me thinking.
10 years ago I didn't even own a computer let alone a cell phone. I had one of those brown analog cable boxes and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. My 10 channel cordless phone was awesome and if you needed to reach me you could call my beeper number. If I wanted to watch a movie it was in the form of a VHS tape and I always had to adjust the tracking.
Today technology runs my life.
My living room today now houses a plasma HD television, digital this, digital that and is all connected to a computer stashed away inside my entertainment center. The computer is connected to a 10 mbps internet connection, and if I don't use that connection to check my myspace I'll have hell to pay!
As if my TV now containing the internet wasn't enough I carry an iPhone so I can check my email, access myspace, and cruise ***boat even when I'm not near a computer. Hell 80% of my phone calls recieved start out, "Danny why haven't you replied to my email?" 90% of my communication is done by email or text message.
In the grand scheme of things 10 years really isn't a lot of time. And in the last 10 years a HELL of a lot has happened.
So how much has your life changed due to technology?

468miller
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
im thinking of trading in my brick phone soon.............:D

FOXMAN
12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
When i was a kid i drove all over the place and never gave it a second thought.. I wont let my kids leave the house without there phone and i make sure the battery is charged. Things have really changed.

sleekcraft80
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
You really had a VHS machine 10 years ago?
I still have one:eek:

Tom Brown
12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I left my phone at a friends house last night, I've been absolutely lost today without my phone and it got me thinking......
10 years ago......if you needed to reach me you could call my beeper number.
... so is this your 10th anniversary of being a drug dealer?

eliminatedsprinter
12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
So how much has your life changed due to technology?
10 years ago ***boat was just a magazine to me...;)

Flyinbowtie
12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Interesting question.
Beyond all the obvious stuff; internet, cell phones, home and car electronics and audio, I have a very personal relationship with technology.
I have two artificial discs in my spine.
They are surgical stainless steel with an osmotic sprayed on coating of titanium. Designed on a computer, they replace the critical L4-5 and L5-S1 discs. They are at the lowest level of the spine, where the greatest motion takes place when you bend at the waist.
I am part of the study group of patients that got the prosthesis through the FDA approval process. I got them "installed" almost 2 years ago, 01-17-06.
While far, far from perfect, they remain the best option, and I am thankful for them.
Might need a handful more...

delemorte
12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I make a living in technology so i would say it has been substatial.

Boozer
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
... so is this your 10th anniversary of being a drug dealer?
I gave that up 5 years ago. As the senior fry chef at my local McDonalds I get much better health benefits. The money isnt the same but I do it for the little people and the love of clogged arteries... That's what it's all about anyways..... :D

ahhell
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
what is this TV you speak of????

ahhell
12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Interesting question.
Beyond all the obvious stuff; internet, cell phones, home and car electronics and audio, I have a very personal relationship with technology.
I have two artificial discs in my spine.
They are surgical stainless steel with an osmotic sprayed on coating of titanium. Designed on a computer, they replace the critical L4-5 and L5-S1 discs. They are at the lowest level of the spine, where the greatest motion takes place when you bend at the waist.
I am part of the study group of patients that got the prosthesis through the FDA approval process. I got them "installed" almost 2 years ago, 01-17-06.
While far, far from perfect, they remain the best option, and I am thankful for them.
Might need a handful more...
did you get the "ray cages"? Im an MRI tech and have heard of "artificial" discs, but have yet to scan any...just curious
I am, however, involved in a FDA study on Breast implants , and get to scan a few 'endowed' women on a daily basis...I LOVE MY JOB:D :D :D

ahhell
12-12-2007, 07:26 PM
where the hell did this post come from????

Flyinbowtie
12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
did you get the "ray cages"? Im an MRI tech and have heard of "artificial" discs, but have yet to scan any...just curious
I am, however, involved in a FDA study on Breast implants , and get to scan a few 'endowed' women on a daily basis...I LOVE MY JOB:D :D :D
Flexicore artificial disc. they have a website but I dunno what it is.
Here is what they look like installed.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15259Back_pic_one.jpg
The circular object off to the right is a penny, put in place to give some size reference.

Sleeper CP
12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I left my phone at a friends house last night, I've been absolutely lost today without my phone and it got me thinking.
10 years ago I didn't even own a computer let alone a cell phone. I had one of those brown analog cable boxes and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. My 10 channel cordless phone was awesome and if you needed to reach me you could call my beeper number. If I wanted to watch a movie it was in the form of a VHS tape and I always had to adjust the tracking.
Today technology runs my life.
My living room today now houses a plasma HD television, digital this, digital that and is all connected to a computer stashed away inside my entertainment center. The computer is connected to a 10 mbps internet connection, and if I don't use that connection to check my myspace I'll have hell to pay!
As if my TV now containing the internet wasn't enough I carry an iPhone so I can check my email, access myspace, and cruise ***boat even when I'm not near a computer. Hell 80% of my phone calls recieved start out, "Danny why haven't you replied to my email?" 90% of my communication is done by email or text message.
?
What the hell is this MySpace you speak of and can anyone over 40 have an account?;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

ahhell
12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Flexicore artificial disc. they have a website but I dunno what it is.
Here is what they look like installed.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15259Back_pic_one.jpg
The circular object off to the right is a penny, put in place to give some size reference.
Damn, are you an inch or 2 taller now, those look huge...:eek: but if they work, amen

Flyinbowtie
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I was 6-4 before this all set in.
Pre-op I was 6-2-1/2
Back to 6-4 now.
There was no living disc material in either location when they got in there.

ahhell
12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I was 6-4 before this all set in.
Pre-op I was 6-2-1/2
Back to 6-4 now.
I believe it...those mofo's are huge
a penny is 19mm and youre discs look about 10mm prior to the 'new ones'...so any basketball plans??? lol

Flyinbowtie
12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
They really are not that huge, I don't think. They come in different sizes for different bone structures, check them out on the website, the xray shows both pieces interlocked, makes them look large i think.
No BB, surgeon wouldn't have it. LOL
They go in from the front. Scar from groin to bellybutton....:eek:
St. Mary's Spine Center in S.F. did it.
Thankful I am.

mobldj
12-12-2007, 10:03 PM
more efficiant battery technology makes the wifes toys last longer.....lol :)

Infomaniac
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Most here have no idea how much it has changed us until you loose electricity in your city for a few days.
Just happened to us. As simple as having cash is a huge deal. Can't use the ATM to get any cash. Trying to buy gas without being able to use the card at the pump. Cash only. Many people could not do it. Stores on generators and can only accept cash. Don't know exactly how dependant you are on technology until it suddenly is not there.
Stores not open at all. Grocery, Gas etc.
Heat the house with the fireplace and light with candles or oil lamps. No refrigerator or freezer. No TV Computer internet etc.
Think about it.

westair
12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I remember the first fax machines, what amazing technology .... now faxes are about to become obsolete, everythings email, no paper, less phone calls, its great! Whats next??

spectras only
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
With GPS in the cars , when I travel abroad , don't need to stop asking for directions :)

cruser
12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I have been very much effected by technology. I work for the largest semi-conductor manufacturer in the world. Been with them for 27 years in Janurary. 26 of those years in R&D. I have seen the majority of the tech revolution from the inside. What they are doing now is incredible compared to just 10 years ago.
The real question is, where do we go from here? What is the next revolutionary invention? If you discover the answer to that, you could be the next Bill Gates.

WestTNRiverRat
12-13-2007, 03:44 AM
I'm a technical consultant for a large over night express company. We move packages all over the world but our real business is technology. I was trained on electron tubes in the Navy so I've seen a lot of changes over the last 30 years.
I've made a great living off of it.