PDA

View Full Version : Insurance co. is trying to steal my truck ! What are my rights

wsm9808
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
My son wrecked his 97 S10 pickup(his fault) and now the insurance Co is wanting to "total" his truck and is trying to pay me less than half of what I have in this thing.
What rights do I have to fight them with?
They insist on only paying us 2900.00 for the truck and are telling us we cant take anything off of it before they haul it off because they are adding in all of our upgrades into their price.
The repair estimate is 3300.00 and I have over 6500.00 in this truck. But they wont repair it. They insist on totaling it which would screw me big time.
I bought the truck from a car lot a year ago for 3750.00 knowing it needed an intake gasket and water pump. While I was repairing it I also pulled the heads and did a valve job.
We then added a stereo system, wheels and tires, lowered it, lighted mirrors, added a cowl hood and a fiberglass hard bed cover, tinted windows and replaced a cracked windshield and misc other repairs and up grades. All told an easy 4500.00 of parts and not counting all our labor.
This truck only has 119,000 miles and we fixed it up to last him several years to be reliable and sporty to our taste to get him through school trouble free within our budget.
How can I either get the value of the truck or get it repaired??
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE058.jpg

Mohavekid
12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Have you provided them evidence of the upgrades? Have they provided you a copy of the CCC or ADP market evaluation they used to determine value? if not, request they give you a copy. Review it carefully to verify the vehicle condition and equipment were properly included and rated.
Normal maintenance and or repairs do not increase the value of the vehicle, upgrades will. Upgrades include paint, custom wheels stereo equipment and such.
If all else fails, demand arbitration of the dispute as outlined in your policy. You will need some evidence to support your case. Evidence includes prices of similar vehicles sold in the local area and or an "expert" in used vehicle pricing. They will provide their own "expert"opinions to the arbitrator who will decide how much they owe you. An arbitrator can be any mutually agreed individual, a judge, an attorney, an appraiser or a used car salesman.
Keep in mind, many policies exclude custom equipment like the wheels, hood, bed cover and stereo.
You may want to look into settling the case with you retaining salvage and then repairing the vehicle yourself. If you choose to do retain the salvage, the insurance company will deduct the salvage value which is typically 15-20% of the offer.
Good luck.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Well I would go to the auto trader and pull up comps enter the same year and miles you have on your truck and show what they are selling for and fight with the ins company over the value and show recipts.
Off topic when I was in Mazatlan I met the old chief of police from Midland really a nice guy he said he retired 27 years in law enforcement.

Throttle
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
did you have additional coverage for the tires, wheels, stereo equip and other misc items you listed here? I am pretty certain, you are not going to see any of the money for the repairs you made to keep it up and running.
guess, you could cancel your claim and put more money into it to fix it. I would be lookin into puttin the original stuff back on it and taking what you can (maybe you could sell it elsewhere).:idea:

scooooter7
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Same thing happened with my son's Miata. However they offered about $500 less if we kept the vehicle. My son didn't want to fix it so took the check.
Then the insurance Co. canceled him when his policy was up.

wsm9808
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Have you provided them evidence of the upgrades?
Keep in mind, many policies exclude custom equipment like the wheels, hood, bed cover and stereo.
You may want to look into settling the case with you retaining salvage and then repairing the vehicle yourself. If you choose to do retain the salvage, the insurance company will deduct the salvage value which is typically 15-20% of the offer.
Good luck.
What you touched on is what is freeking me out about this deal.
I have reciepts and photographic proof of the upgrades, and their own field person has pics.
And, if the upgrades are not covered under my policy---why did she say I cant remove them before they haul off my truck.
As far as retaining salvage, I do not want a salvage title. That again hurts the value down the road.
Zeeeze, I would settle if they would just give me a check for 2500.00 and let me fix the truck myself.
I thought I was paying insurance premiums to protect myself aganst losses, not to amplify them. Compared to taking the the amount they insist on, I could just fix the truck and be out less money and time than I would be by taking their money and starting over on another truck. It has been 25 years years since i have had to deal with an insurance claim, I had no idea they have become so back stabbing.
What can they do if I strip the truck?

wsm9808
12-12-2007, 09:38 PM
This is really F'ed up.
I also have a 68 camaro that I fully restored myself.
when I bought insurance they told me that if i wanted it insured for over 25000.00 it would need to be appraised, so I just bought the up to 25000.00 stuff. But nowhere on the policy does it say anything about what the car is valued at. I bought the body for 800.00 and spent 23000.00 in parts to restore it.
Now it sounds like the insurance company could just tell me my Camaro is only worth 800.00 and screw the crap out of me if I ever have a claim.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE051.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE010.jpg

scooooter7
12-12-2007, 09:43 PM
It's the old...if it ain't in writing deal.
I would definately contact my insurance co and ask them what they cover if it gets totaled. Don't wait till it happens then find out.
Nice Camaro by the way.

boatnam2
12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
so what did you have the truck insured for? probaly a 1997 chevy truck stock with high miles.I can tell you this insurance company's are not in the biz of insuring one thing and paying on another.I would keep trying to get the payoff higher they hopefully they will give in alittle try changing adjusters r supervisors.

scooooter7
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey wsm9808,
Remember that when dealing with an insurance company that you have to represent yourself. You have to negotiate the best deal that you are willing to accept. They always come in at the lowest they can offer to try and make out like the bandits they are.
You should have put all upgrades on your policy so they had to insure them, but that would cost you more. And it is too late for that anyway.
Was anyone else involved in the accident? If so, then your in. co. also has to pay out for that. My guess is they are trying to break even in this deal by not "allowing" you to take anything off your vehicle. Remember, it is your's . You should be telling them you want to retain the vehicle (if you do) and negotiate from there.

Outnumbered
12-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Most insurance is a scam. Just about every time I have had to make a claim I have got screwed one way or another. I quit making claims on small stuff and raised my deductibles way up.
Sounds like a raw deal. I would not have got full coverage on that truck. You could just get liability and put the money you save into an account to self-insure in the case it was stolen or wrecked. In just a few years your full coverage premiums will be more than you paid for the truck.

wolfie
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
This is really F'ed up.
I also have a 68 camaro that I fully restored myself.
when I bought insurance they told me that if i wanted it insured for over 25000.00 it would need to be appraised, so I just bought the up to 25000.00 stuff. But nowhere on the policy does it say anything about what the car is valued at. I bought the body for 800.00 and spent 23000.00 in parts to restore it.
Now it sounds like the insurance company could just tell me my Camaro is only worth 800.00 and screw the crap out of me if I ever have a claim.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE051.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE010.jpg
When you insure with a stated value below $25,000, that's what the value is. You pay a larger premium due to that so it'll be covered at stated value. You're right in the fact that you need an appraisal for anything over the $25,000 value. My wife use to work with American Family Insurance and we have my wifes car, the kids El Camino, and the Bronco insured through them with a stated value.
My father-in-law is doing a Mustang for the wife and kid and it's appraising at $50,000. We'll be going through a specialty company for the insurance on it.
Here's the wifes car. We had to state the flames and wheels to increase the value.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/DSC_00061.JPG
Here's the kids car. We have a stated value on it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/DSC_0043.JPG

wsm9808
12-12-2007, 11:15 PM
so what did you have the truck insured for? probaly a 1997 chevy truck stock with high miles.I can tell you this insurance company's are not in the biz of insuring one thing and paying on another.I would keep trying to get the payoff higher they hopefully they will give in alittle try changing adjusters r supervisors.
Ok, that is a fair statement and leaning towards the point of view that the insurace co. would have. Your point is well taken.
However, 120,000 miles is not high milage for a 97 vehicle. And the values in NADA and such books are average values for a particular condition and milage range for your area. Their offer, that they will not budge from, is below averge for even a fair condition vehicle. They refuse to concider the above average condtion of my truck and the curb appeal that anyone who is in the car business knows adds $ to the price of a vehicle at the time of sale. BUT, you can bet your a$$ if my truck had pre exsisting damage such as a kicked in door and smashed up rear quarters the insurance company would be marking even more bucks off the value.
The scales are sloped way too far to their advantage.
I did not try to decieve the insurance co by working on my truck. I have been paying premiums for 25 years thinking I was protecting my investments at a fair market value. That is all I am asking for. If they want to take my truck pay fair market for it or give me the money to fix it. After all, that is what their TV commercals say I am paying for.

boatnam2
12-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Ok, that is a fair statement and leaning towards the point of view that the insurace co. would have. Your point is well taken.
However, 120,000 miles is not high milage for a 97 vehicle. And the values in NADA and such books are average values for a particular condition and milage range for your area. Their offer, that they will not budge from, is below averge for even a fair condition vehicle. They refuse to concider the above average condtion of my truck and the curb appeal that anyone who is in the car business knows adds $ to the price of a vehicle at the time of sale. BUT, you can bet your a$$ if my truck had pre exsisting damage such as a kicked in door and smashed up rear quarters the insurance company would be marking even more bucks off the value.
The scales are sloped way too far to their advantage.
I did not try to decieve the insurance co by working on my truck. I have been paying premiums for 25 years thinking I was protecting my investments at a fair market value. That is all I am asking for. If they want to take my truck pay fair market for it or give me the money to fix it. After all, that is what their TV commercals say I am paying for.
Yea it sucks but most ins companys dont want to pay or try everything to not pay fair amounts.Just like everything else its not about taking care of there clients but about making money for the greedy ceo's.

havasu5150
12-13-2007, 05:06 AM
I had a similar experience with an insuance company about 10 years ago. 85 Toyota 4x4 was stolen, stripped ad trashed....totaled, The Ins co brought in a way low ball estimate. I refused to accept it. the negotiations were on. I wouind up getting $4800 when their initial offer was $2800.
In California the Ins co. is required to pay fair market vaule for the vehicle ... so some research and find out what a similarly equiped truck is going for in your area, and stick to your guns. My ins co ponied up once I threatend to take the to the insurance board in California

polaris
12-13-2007, 05:41 AM
first thing i would do is get it to a body shop that you know so they can keep an eye on it before parts start missing or the storage fee starts running up you will have to pay to have it moved the ins co will not . then i would see what the ins company needs $$$ for you to buy it back

wsm9808
12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
first thing i would do is get it to a body shop that you know so they can keep an eye on it before parts start missing or the storage fee starts running up you will have to pay to have it moved the ins co will not . then i would see what the ins company needs $$$ for you to buy it back
Thats the funny part. The truck is driveable. I put in a new radiator and my son drives it to school and back before dark. All it needs is a hood, grill and lights and misc brackets, core support and a/c condensor. The front bumper is not even scratched.

Kindsvater Flat
12-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Do what I did. Tell the insurance company that if thats whats its worth then I'm willing to accept it only if they find the same vehicle with the same options with the same accessories and the same mileage for that price. You know cause thats what its worth. They ended up fixing my vehicle.:D

ratso
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
What Insurance Company? See what they will pay out and let you keep the truck... That might be your best route.

Outnumbered
12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
What Insurance Company? See what they will pay out and let you keep the truck... That might be your best route.
He does not want to because they will total it and brand the title "salvage".

FOXMAN
12-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Dont be surprised if you see the adjusters son driving your sons truck after they fix it. I had the same sh!t happen to me with a snowmobile.This guy was bound and determined to total my sled. I told him to have the new owner call me and i would explain the anti-theft shut down i had on the sled and never got a call:mad:

lalhc
12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
All my vehicles are stock. I don't put anything extra in them because I know my insurance won't cover all the extras if I'm in an accident or if the vehicle is stolen.

syco
12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I work at a body shop and see this kinda B/S every day! These ins. companies are all f!%ced! They allways try and low ball you on a total,That is the adjusters job.Dont settle until you are fully content.You can allways throw out thewords " You want to contact the Buero Of Ins in Sac." that helps sometimes.If you have a car with considerable upgrades you should Allways have ins. for full replacement value, keep lots of pics and all of your invoices.F those insurance adjusters they are the enemy!!! :devil:
GOOD LUCK!

pw_Tony
12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
You can buy it back for 10% of the vehicle blue book value. I work for many insurance companys. Your Policy, unless you included to cover all the upgrades, won't cover it. But you can buy it back for 10% of the value and they should give you the difference back. Then you can repair it yourself. I am going through a claim right now with my S15 Jimmy. Over $6000 just in upgrades, but luckly it wasn't my fault so the claimant's insurance company has to include everything to total it out.

pw_Tony
12-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Have you provided them evidence of the upgrades? Have they provided you a copy of the CCC or ADP market evaluation they used to determine value? if not, request they give you a copy. Review it carefully to verify the vehicle condition and equipment were properly included and rated.
Normal maintenance and or repairs do not increase the value of the vehicle, upgrades will. Upgrades include paint, custom wheels stereo equipment and such.
If all else fails, demand arbitration of the dispute as outlined in your policy. You will need some evidence to support your case. Evidence includes prices of similar vehicles sold in the local area and or an "expert" in used vehicle pricing. They will provide their own "expert"opinions to the arbitrator who will decide how much they owe you. An arbitrator can be any mutually agreed individual, a judge, an attorney, an appraiser or a used car salesman.
Good luck.
This is very true. Get the CCC or ADP and make sure it's completely filled out.

syco
12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
You can buy it back for 10% of the vehicle blue book value. I work for many insurance companys. Your Policy, unless you included to cover all the upgrades, won't cover it. But you can buy it back for 10% of the value and they should give you the difference back. Then you can repair it yourself. I am going through a claim right now with my S15 Jimmy. Over $6000 just in upgrades, but luckly it wasn't my fault so the claimant's insurance company has to include everything to total it out.
This is true, If haveing a salvage title doesnt bother you.Plus dont forget that you need to get a Light,brake,& safety inspection done to get it back on the road and get licence plates back from the DMV.

FOXMAN
12-13-2007, 09:09 PM
NO.. You can buy it back if you match the highest bid the insurance company gets from what ever salvage yard bids the highest or who ever they work with. Been there, been screwed there.

syco
12-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure the owner allways gets the first chance to buy it back at 10%. Unless stated differant in your policy.

pw_Tony
12-13-2007, 09:16 PM
NO.. You can buy it back if you match the highest bid the insurance company gets from what ever salvage yard bids the highest or who ever they work with. Been there, been screwed there.
You get first bid. Rarely the insurance company gets a bid higher than 10% unless it's a newer vehicle. And including the tow bill, they rather just sell it straight to the insured, trust me I get bids for total loss's.... every.... day

FOXMAN
12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
You could be right. I've got screwed a couple of times on this. They got you by the NADS, And there aint much you can do about it:mad:

beernut
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
my wife and i have 6 veh. insured through AAA,and when her '05 mustang got backed into they fought us on the claim ,and ended up putting a used front nose on the car, stating "the nose on your car now is not new", !?!one of my harleys is a custom build and they cant tell me what they will pay if its stolen: they say replacment value but i bet that would be a real fight,

pw_Tony
12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
my wife and i have 6 veh. insured through AAA,and when her '05 mustang got backed into they fought us on the claim ,and ended up putting a used front nose on the car, stating "the nose on your car now is not new", !?!one of my harleys is a custom build and they cant tell me what they will pay if its stolen: they say replacment value but i bet that would be a real fight,
AAA aka Western United is a very stingy insurance company. But then again I rather have a used front end on my car then an aftermarket

syco
12-13-2007, 09:49 PM
AAA aka Western United is a very stingy insurance company. But then again I rather have a used front end on my car then an aftermarket
If you get a used front end, you really dont know what you got, wrecked repaired full of bondo cant tell cuz it has paint on it. Hell u might even have gotten a used aftermarket front end! Read your policies!!! I have had the worst buisness dealing with Farmers!

scooooter7
12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
A used front end is more than likely an LKQ. Which is Like Kind Quality. If you are getting one with bondo or aftermarket, it is not Like Kind Quality, unless that is what you had on your vehicle.

syco
12-13-2007, 10:02 PM
A used front end is more than likely an LKQ. Which is Like Kind Quality. If you are getting one with bondo or aftermarket, it is not Like Kind Quality, unless that is what you had on your vehicle.
Guess you better trust your bodyshop to inspect your "LKQ" parts! Ive had alot of parts come from "LKQ" that are crap!

wsm9808
12-13-2007, 11:52 PM
What is a CCC and ADP ?
Just thought i better find out what it is before I ask for it:D

ULTRA26 # 1
12-14-2007, 07:20 AM
My son wrecked his 97 S10 pickup(his fault) and now the insurance Co is wanting to "total" his truck and is trying to pay me less than half of what I have in this thing.
What rights do I have to fight them with?
They insist on only paying us 2900.00 for the truck and are telling us we cant take anything off of it before they haul it off because they are adding in all of our upgrades into their price.
The repair estimate is 3300.00 and I have over 6500.00 in this truck. But they wont repair it. They insist on totaling it which would screw me big time.
I bought the truck from a car lot a year ago for 3750.00 knowing it needed an intake gasket and water pump. While I was repairing it I also pulled the heads and did a valve job.
We then added a stereo system, wheels and tires, lowered it, lighted mirrors, added a cowl hood and a fiberglass hard bed cover, tinted windows and replaced a cracked windshield and misc other repairs and up grades. All told an easy 4500.00 of parts and not counting all our labor.
This truck only has 119,000 miles and we fixed it up to last him several years to be reliable and sporty to our taste to get him through school trouble free within our budget.
How can I either get the value of the truck or get it repaired??
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE058.jpg
Read your policy. You will find something similar to the "Right of Appraisal" This is is all policies in case you and the carrier disagree on the value of the loss. If you are sure that the vehicle is worth more, demand that this claim is settle through the Appraisal process. You will need to retain an independent appraiser to place a value on truck. Follow the language in the policy. This is generally your only recourse.
CCC and ADP are companies who place values on total loss vehicles for insurance companies.
LKQ means the same quality as is on the vehicle at the time of the loss or more commonly known as used. Not a problem normally. With regard to retaining the vehicle the salvage value can be determined a number of ways. A % based on a salvage contract or the bid from a salvage buyer being the most common.

pvhca
12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Sounds to me that most of you have never dealt with your insurance company in a proper manner. The insurance company works for you, generally it's replacement value or replacement of your like vehicle. In the event someone has recently usually w/in 6 months put tires, engine, tranny etc. as long as you have proper receipts they will reimburse for the cost. However if you have a company such as Freeway, Eastwood and other chump cos. then you will probably have less chance of getting proper reimbursements, less educated phone people. I deal with Allstate, AAA, and Kemper Co. for my vehicles, boat and homes and thankfully I've never had one problem feeling like I've been treated unfairly. I will say this they will always try to get off cheap, just don't give in and I can assure you they will reimburse you properly. Two examples, my nephews 98F150 worth probably $4K lady pulls in front of him, her fault, his insurance AAA takes care of everything, gonna get paid back by her company, he walks with $9K, replacement couldn't be found in as nice of condition and he had recent receipts. My cousin gets hit broadside in his 87 Chevy 3/4 ton worth probably $6K since it was very clean, new engine interior, etc. walked w/$12,500.00 no replacement and current receipts. Don't let the company take advantage, ride it out. LKQ is a salvage yard company that is nationwide, they also own Keystone.

pw_Tony
12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Read your policy. You will find something similar to the "Right of Appraisal" This is is all policies in case you and the carrier disagree on the value of the loss. If you are sure that the vehicle is worth more, demand that this claim is settle through the Appraisal process. You will need to retain an independent appraiser to place a value on truck. Follow the language in the policy. This is generally your only recourse.
CCC and ADP are companies who place values on total loss vehicles for insurance companies.
LKQ means the same quality as is on the vehicle at the time of the loss or more commonly known as used. Not a problem normally. With regard to retaining the vehicle the salvage value can be determined a number of ways. A % based on a salvage contract or the bid from a salvage buyer being the most common.
Unfortunately, an Appraiser isn't going to appraise the vehicle higher unless it is allowed in the policy. But if they're a claimant in the claim (the person getting hit) then they have the right to be fully reimbursed, depending on what receipts they have. And usually they get charged betterment on their tires, batterys, belts, and small crap like that

pw_Tony
12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Sounds to me that most of you have never dealt with your insurance company in a proper manner. The insurance company works for you, generally it's replacement value or replacement of your like vehicle. In the event someone has recently usually w/in 6 months put tires, engine, tranny etc. as long as you have proper receipts they will reimburse for the cost. However if you have a company such as Freeway, Eastwood and other chump cos. then you will probably have less chance of getting proper reimbursements, less educated phone people. I deal with Allstate, AAA, and Kemper Co. for my vehicles, boat and homes and thankfully I've never had one problem feeling like I've been treated unfairly. I will say this they will always try to get off cheap, just don't give in and I can assure you they will reimburse you properly. Two examples, my nephews 98F150 worth probably $4K lady pulls in front of him, her fault, his insurance AAA takes care of everything, gonna get paid back by her company, he walks with $9K, replacement couldn't be found in as nice of condition and he had recent receipts. My cousin gets hit broadside in his 87 Chevy 3/4 ton worth probably $6K since it was very clean, new engine interior, etc. walked w/$12,500.00 no replacement and current receipts. Don't let the company take advantage, ride it out. LKQ is a salvage yard company that is nationwide, they also own Keystone.
That's actually surprising that Allstate and AAA has taken care of you well. That's rare. AAA is one of the cheapest companys I've worked through, using as many LKQ parts and Aftermarkets parts as they can, and save a dollar anywhere they go. But if you're happy why change right ;)

ULTRA26 # 1
12-14-2007, 11:42 AM
In CA it doesn't matter who you are insured with as all Total Loss claims must be handled within the State of California, Department of Insurance, Fair Claims Practices Regulations. There are guidelines that must be followed by State Farm or the cheapest non-standard insurance carrier.
LKQ also means Like Kind and Quality, which is common insurance term for quality recycled or used parts. I have managed an Auto Claims Department, of up to 115 people, in CA for 17 years. Total Losses, in CA, are all handled the in the same manner, within the terms and conditions of the policy. However, as I recall this guy is in TX. The Appraisal provision is the way to go if the carrier keeps arguing.
Based on simple Kelley Blue Book values the truck is worth a minimum of $4,000.
Private Party Values with 118,000 miles
Excellent $5,090 Good $4,630 Fair $4,035.
$2,900 for this truck is a joke. Another consideration would be contacting the TX Department of Insurance
Unfortunately, an Appraiser isn't going to appraise the vehicle higher unless it is allowed in the policy. But if they're a claimant in the claim (the person getting hit) then they have the right to be fully reimbursed, depending on what receipts they have. And usually they get charged betterment on their tires, batterys, belts, and small crap like that
Tony,
Most policies have an Appraisal provision in case the Company and the insured don't agree on the amount of the loss. The following is fairly standard policy language. It's similar to arbitration. A CCC or ADP evaluation is not set in stone.
RIGHT TO APPRAISAL - PART IV
If you and we do not agree on the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal of the loss. In this is event, each party will select a competent appraiser. The two appraisers will select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the actual cast cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each party will pay its chosen appraiser and bear the expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally. We do not waive any of our rights under this policy by agreeing to an appraisal.

Riverdog1
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Some states will let you insure your vehicle for a stated amount. I had my boat insured for 20K because it's a '78 and they would not give me squat for it if something happened. I would be screwed because I have at least that in the motor. Same for my truck so if they were to total it I could get something equivalent. AZ will not but CA will.

Waist Deep
12-14-2007, 12:49 PM
My dad recently got hit and it crushed the rear of the truck in somewhat. Ins said it was too much to fix it so they wanted to give him $3,900.00 and total it.
Somehow or another, they gave him $3,900.00 to fix the bed and let him keep it. I think it's got a salvage title, but hes got a new bed and roll pan being thrown on for a fraction of the check.
Truck drives fine

Mohavekid
12-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Salvage title is no problem until you try to sell the vehicle.
Salvage title vehicles generally do not hold the same value as a non-salvage titled vehicles, even if the repairs are done well.

ratso
12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Salvage title is no problem until you try to sell the vehicle.
Salvage title vehicles generally do not hold the same value as a non-salvage titled vehicles, even if the repairs are done well.
Salvage will drop your value 50% or better easy...