PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 or PS3

Magic34
12-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Which is the better one to get? Which has better graphics, loads and operates the fastest/quickest?
Thanks

Wozencraft
12-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Which is the better one to get? Which has better graphics, loads and operates the fastest/quickest?
Thanks
My vote goes to the Playstation 3 (PS3)
I was just about to buy an Xbox 360 when I talked to a friend that owns both. In fact, my friend said he plays his 360 more than the PS3. However, it's only because the 360 has more games...for now. That is most likely to change.
Just having the Blu-Ray player feature on the PS3 is reason enough; Game console + Blu-Ray player = one less component! Last I heard, Blu-Ray has been outselling HD DVD 3-1 (unlike the early days w/ Beta & VHS).
There are more factors to look into before making up your mind. Here are the reasons which made the decision easy for me to purchase the PS3 over the 360:
1. Blu-Ray built in for no extra cost (not available on xbox-HD DVD available for additional cost on xbox)
2. Graphics/Audio: HDMI & fiber optic ports, Dolby Digital, DTS...awesome graphics & sound
3. Built-in wireless internet (extra upgrade with xbox)
-You can browse the internet, chat, video, etc. all without having any internet cable plugged in to your PS3.
4. Backward Compatible: We have many PS2 games which we can use on our PS3 (xbox 360 does not play older xbox games)
5. PS3 online store is free: games, movies, software updates, etc. (xbox charges you a monthly membership fee to use there online capability)
6. PS3 has fewer games than xbox 360, but with PS2 still owning the most games of any console in history, I think the PS3 will soon catch up. There are plenty enough currently for my family.
7. 4 USB ports on the front of unit: use to charge up batteries on cell phones, camcorders, ipods, etc. Or, plug in camcorder, memory stick to quickly watch anything stored (pictures, videos, etc.).
8. Controllers run on Bluetooth technology, not infrared like xbox 360. This means that your controller does not have to be in clear site of the game console. You could be in the next room and your PS3 controller would still work.
9. Xbox 360's are known to overheat-warranty issues.
Well, I wrote more than I expected. I hope this helps. I'm curious to know what others say.
Devin

Hardly Satisfied
12-13-2007, 03:38 AM
Thanks
Buy both :D

RiverOtter
12-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Thanks
Buy both :D
:idea: ........................... he is a baller :idea:

Cigalert
12-13-2007, 04:58 AM
I recently got the PS3 and I'm amazed at what a gamer toolbox I've become. No Xbox but I will probably pick up the Wii after the holidays. Do it...Do it....Do it!

Magic34
12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
:idea: ........................... he is a baller :idea:
Fockers!!!!!
I'm broke!!!!! :D

Magic34
12-13-2007, 08:19 AM
I was just about to buy an Xbox 360 when I talked to a friend that owns both. In fact, my friend said he plays his 360 more than the PS3. However, it's only because the 360 has more games...for now. That is most likely to change.
Just having the Blu-Ray player feature on the PS3 is reason enough; Game console + Blu-Ray player = one less component! Last I heard, Blu-Ray has been outselling HD DVD 3-1 (unlike the early days w/ Beta & VHS).
There are more factors to look into before making up your mind. Here are the reasons which made the decision easy for me to purchase the PS3 over the 360:
1. Blu-Ray built in for no extra cost (not available on xbox-HD DVD available for additional cost on xbox)
2. Graphics/Audio: HDMI & fiber optic ports, Dolby Digital, DTS...awesome graphics & sound
-You can browse the internet, chat, video, etc. all without having any internet cable plugged in to your PS3.
4. Backward Compatible: We have many PS2 games which we can use on our PS3 (xbox 360 does not play older xbox games)
5. PS3 online store is free: games, movies, software updates, etc. (xbox charges you a monthly membership fee to use there online capability)
6. PS3 has fewer games than xbox 360, but with PS2 still owning the most games of any console in history, I think the PS3 will soon catch up. There are plenty enough currently for my family.
7. 4 USB ports on the front of unit: use to charge up batteries on cell phones, camcorders, ipods, etc. Or, plug in camcorder, memory stick to quickly watch anything stored (pictures, videos, etc.).
8. Controllers run on Bluetooth technology, not infrared like xbox 360. This means that your controller does not have to be in clear site of the game console. You could be in the next room and your PS3 controller would still work.
Well, I wrote more than I expected. I hope this helps. I'm curious to know what others say.
Devin
Thanks Devin. Hope you and your family have a great Christmas/Holiday.

Jyruiz
12-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Devin
I am not a gamer, but I thought the X-Box 360 could play the older X-Box games, not all, but I hear updates makes them playable.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Ara
12-13-2007, 08:29 AM
I have both and if I had to choose one, it would be the Xbox 360. Much better games, the graphics are great and the Live network is excellent. Overall better gaming experience..

HocusPocus
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Xbox 360, my wife bought it for my bday last year, the kids play it more then i do. About the only game i got into was HALO.

572Daytona
12-13-2007, 08:40 AM
My kids get a lot of use out of the 360, I haven't gotten a PS3 yet since we already have a PS2 and there really isn't a lot out there for the PS3 that isn't already on the 360 that interests them or me much. And I could care less about blu-ray movies.
As for backward compatibility the 360 has some and they add titles on a regular basis. For the PS3 it depends on what model you get. The 20 and 60gb models (if you can still find them) ha the best since it includes the PS2 hardware chip. The 80gb has decent backwards compatibility similar to the 360 since it's emulated and the 40gb has NO backwards compatibility, that's one of the things that was sacrificed to bring down the costs.
Other than that if you really want the best graphics and the fastest load times go with a PC, nothing will beat a good gaming computer.

Magic34
12-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Other than that if you really want the best graphics and the fastest load times go with a PC, nothing will beat a good gaming computer.
You mean the same computer I access ***boat on. No way!!!! What's wrong with you? :D

572Daytona
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
You mean the same computer I access ***boat on. No way!!!! What's wrong with you? :D
Hell no, that one probably will probably be slow as hell with all of the rick-rolling going on :D That's why I have about 8 computers on the house 3 for the wife and kids to have their own and several extras for me.

mbrown2
12-13-2007, 08:55 AM
If you really want Blu Ray, then get the PS3.....if you are buying because you think Blu Ray will trounce HD; then I would hesitate to make that statement cause that war is not over and some of the references made in this thread about who is winning the war can be debated endlessely.
If you want games and game variety...go with Xbox....I have talked to kids, nephews and asked them the question, and 3 to 1 they say Xbox is better for the game variety... The Xbox Live option is very cool too
Personally, I will buy a dual format player and not buy a game console to bring me HD or BP DVD....
People talk about PS3 catching up with games and maybe it will but on the flipside Wii is really creating a storm bigger then either of them...
That being said, I going to pick up Xbox and Wii after Xmas...cause right now Xbox has more variety and Wii is a different experience....if next Xmas PS3 has caught up in variety and games, then I will get one then after the price has come down additionally as well.

Mike.A
12-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Had to chime in,
I have both but my 360 gets played 100 times more than the PS3. Make sure if you get the 360 to get the Elite and make sure it was manufactured as close to your purchase date as possible. The earlier box's had some major overheating issues and Microsoft has extended the warranty to 2 years for any that overheat. It's called Red Rings of Death (I have had it twice and have not had any problems getting a new box). Here's the good and bad for the 360 and some for the PS3.
360 Elite: GOOD: HDMI, 120 Gig Hardrive, Backwards compatible with most games, online gaming (90% of online gaming played on 360), X-Box Live $50.00 yearly subscription fee for tons of downloads, Amount & Quality of games.Add on HDDVD player for $180.00 at any time, 2 year warranty.
BAD: Overheating, $50.00 a year to play online, Millions of Punk ass kids with mouths that make any sailor blush.
PS3: GOOD: BlueRay, USB, Free Online gameplay, Game quality when and if they come out with more, Backwards compatible.
BAD: Very Few GAMES, Still trying to set up their online community.
It all depends on if you want more gaming now vs BlueRay at this point in time, if you have patience than in the future the PS3 is and will be the better option.

77Woodbridge
12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
This post helped me to go 360 Elite :D

572Daytona
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
You don't necessarily need the elite to avoid the overheating problems. Newer versions of the 360 Pro and Arcade packs also have the 65nm die and improved heatsink and contain the HDMI port. Look on the side of the box for a manufacture date after 9/2007 and the codename Falcon. If it says Zephyr it's an older model.

mbrown2
12-13-2007, 10:57 AM
You don't necessarily need the elite to avoid the overheating problems. Newer versions of the 360 Pro and Arcade packs also have the 65nm die and improved heatsink and contain the HDMI port. Look on the side of the box for a manufacture date after 9/2007 and the codename Falcon. If it says Zephyr it's an older model.
Where do you find the codename?

572Daytona
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Where do you find the codename?
It's on the serial/bar code label:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45155&stc=1&d=1197573833
Unfortunately I got the Zephyr, my wife bought the new pro pack with the bundled games back in October and I assumed it would be the newer model, but as it turns out Gamestop created their own bundle version by opening up the box, adding the games resealing it and adding a sticker to the outside. Luckily I still have the 3 year warranty though if something goes wrong, so far no problems.

delemorte
12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
360 FTW.
I love mine. networks great.. its 1080 P network ready XBOX live is awesome and the games are better. IMHO.. you also have the option of running a HD DVD player out of it.
i did buy a extra cooler for it though. as yes it will get hot. but since then no issues and they extended the warranty.

Ultra5150
12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
This post helped me to go 360 Elite :D
I have the Elite and it rocks, no overheating issues and HDMI kicks total ass.
We should put together a ***boat Halo3 team togehter.

riverracerx
12-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Halo 3!!!!!
Only on the 360
Depends what you want to play. I only play shooters so Tom Clancy, Halo and a few others if what I run with.

Mike.A
12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Call of Duty 4 is the shiznit.

mbrown2
12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
It's on the serial/bar code label:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45155&stc=1&d=1197573833
Unfortunately I got the Zephyr, my wife bought the new pro pack with the bundled games back in October and I assumed it would be the newer model, but as it turns out Gamestop created their own bundle version by opening up the box, adding the games resealing it and adding a sticker to the outside. Luckily I still have the 3 year warranty though if something goes wrong, so far no problems.
Thanks..:)

Wozencraft
12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
When it comes to the xbox 360, no question that the graphics are great and that there are many more games for that console than PS3. However, remember that the 360 originally launched November 4 2005, over a year before the PS3 came out. It would be expected that Microsoft would have a strong head start on games. Just wait...this next year the game war is going to heat up. Sony is going to have many more exclusives. Here are some that are out now only on PS3: Rachet & Clank, Resistance, Metal Gear Solid 4, Motor Storm, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Haze, Little Big Planet, Kill Zone 2. In fairness to the 360, Halo and Bio Shock are 360 exlusives. I have heard Bio Shock is amazing! It probably will eventually come out on the PS3.
One other thing, add up all the upgrades to the xbox 360 that is standard equipped on the PS3 and see what price tag you come up with? I found it was around the same price or more. Add the Blu-Ray feature plus Sony's history in gaming...that is what made up my mind.
Devin

mbrown2
12-13-2007, 12:51 PM
When it comes to the xbox 360, no question that the graphics are great and that there are many more games for that console than PS3. However, remember that the 360 originally launched November 4 2005, over a year before the PS3 came out. It would be expected that Microsoft would have a strong head start on games. Just wait...this next year the game war is going to heat up. Sony is going to have many more exclusives. Here are some that are out now only on PS3: Rachet & Clank, Resistance, Metal Gear Solid 4, Motor Storm, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Haze, Little Big Planet, Kill Zone 2. In fairness to the 360, Halo and Bio Shock are 360 exlusives. I have heard Bio Shock is amazing! It probably will eventually come out on the PS3.
One other thing, add up all the upgrades to the xbox 360 that is standard equipped on the PS3 and see what price tag you come up with? I found it was around the same price or more. Add the Blu-Ray feature plus Sony's history in gaming...that is what made up my mind.
Devin
Devin, your just a baller from all those Cat insurance premiums...you probably have all 3 consoles...x, wii and ps3... j/k :)

Mike.A
12-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Magic,
If your looking into gaming for 1 then these 2 consoles are the best for the Hardcore gamer, but if for a youngster or for the whole family to enjoy the Nintendo Wii is the best for you/them. We have one also and it is awesome fun for the WHOLE family. It is the number 1 seller of all 3 platforms and is a great game, just not too much blood and gore type of games. It's a little cheaper and does not have online gaming yet if ever but it is a lot of fun. All depends on your or their type of gaming.

Ryphraph
12-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Magic,
If your looking into gaming for 1 then these 2 consoles are the best for the Hardcore gamer, but if for a youngster or for the whole family to enjoy the Nintendo Wii is the best for you/them. We have one also and it is awesome fun for the WHOLE family. It is the number 1 seller of all 3 platforms and is a great game, just not too much blood and gore type of games. It's a little cheaper and does not have online gaming yet if ever but it is a lot of fun. All depends on your or their type of gaming.
I believe the Wii can play online. It connects to the Internet through WiFi and some of the games you can play against online opponents. There is no contact however with the other players. My kids play the Pokemon games against others. They just set up the game and wait until someone else does the same. It takes a while sometimes.
Ryph

Wozencraft
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Devin, your just a baller from all those Cat insurance premiums...you probably have all 3 consoles...x, wii and ps3... j/k :)
C'mon now...I have to find some way to spend my money. :)

Wozencraft
12-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Wait a minute...maybe I'll have to postpone the Wii purchase since I'm not collecting your DCB premiums anymore!!! Why don't you give Dave a call...his F-29 & F-32 series look very inviting. Plus, you purchasing a new DCB will help me with my game addiction.
Devin