PDA

View Full Version : How does Child Support work?

CBadDad
12-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Long story short, I recently was awarded 80% custody of my three children, which basically means I have them full time with the exception of every other weekend and a few holidays. The ex monster was fired from her job last year and has been decompensating at an excellerated rate of speed since then. She is a Registered Nurse with criticle care experience and as best as I can tell, she still has her license and is working sporadically thru different temp agencies, including a traveling nurse's group and should be pulling down about $60/hr .
Here's my question. Does anyone know what the formula is for support here in California? We ended up telling her (and her attorney) that they have two weeks to get back to us with an offer of support, otherwise we would file for it. But not knowing how much she makes or how much she has worked in the last year, I am concerned that I am the one that will end up paying for child support when she only has the kids every other weekend.
Those of you that have been there, what's your take on this?

YeLLowBoaT
12-13-2007, 07:14 AM
the good news is that FTB now collect child support... so if she files a w-2 you will get money... if she does not... your not going to see a dime.

haysonj
12-13-2007, 07:49 AM
:confused: :confused: Basicly its the f**king you get for the F**king you got:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

27 Awesome cat
12-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Who has physical custody of the kids?
Not sure how the program works but figure at least $500-$700 per child minimal.
I would file now! and retro the back $ as well.
If she works at all you will get $,and if she files for unemployment or disability you will still get part of it. I believe its a 1/4 of her pay.

Tremor Therapy
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Knowing the headaches my wife went through with her ex, if you have them 80% of the time, and she is being a flake, good luck. It is a pain in the butt, so maybe having Revenue and Recovery, or whatever the department is take care of this would be the easiest thing to do.

Lightning
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm not an expert in this, hell I don't even have kids...but from what I understand, this is how it works. They take your info and her info as well as percentage of custody, put it in a predetermined software and it generates a number. Everything else is negotiable from there - it does work to your benefit that you have them 80%.

dirty old man
12-13-2007, 08:04 AM
1. Have kids
2. Pay for them
any more questions?

BIGRRNU
12-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Men dont get SH%T

2forcefull
12-13-2007, 08:07 AM
here's how it works,
You marry a loser, buy her new clothes, a new car,
and a house,
she devorce's you and moves in a loser, cause thats what shes attracted to
now you send them a check every month, so they can have a nice car and
house and stuff.
oh and the kids, they do with out

Kilrtoy
12-13-2007, 08:25 AM
This shit kills me....
Leave the woman alone and move on! Why do you need her money?
This is what bitches do to men every day. Don't become one of them....
Take care of the kids yourself, you will be happier

ULTRA26 # 1
12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Back when I got divorced, I had primary physical custody of my Son. He spent 1 week at Christmas, Easter vacation and 8 weeks during the Summer with his Mom. Basically 42 weeks with me and 10 with his Mom. All medical insurance, school clothes, all transportation costs to fly out of State to visit his Mother, etc etc etc, were on me. Because my income was seriously more than his Mothers, the court wanted me to pay child support 52 weeks a year to his Mother.
I refused to do this and her attorney accepted my position.
It's all based on a formula that considers time and income.

ratso
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
This shit kills me....
Exactly... I got custody of my son about 15 years ago... never got a dime... It ain't worth the bullshit.

gmocnik
12-13-2007, 08:34 AM
if your attorney doesn't have the answer to this...time to find a new attorney...
state of california uses a program called Dissomaster to calculate child support payments....basically it takes the % custody and income of both parents and pops out a number...lots of other tax related inputs but for this discuusion i'll ignore those...your issue is being able to verify your ex's income...big problem, but a judge is not going to let them hide any income...they will often use guidelines based on profession, skills, previous income to determine an "earning potential" to use in the dissomaster....for example if your ex was a nurse that would earn 75k per year and has chosen to work at home depot for $10 an hour to get more child support...no deal....
go online and do a search for dissomaster, you can download a demo version that you can play with numbers and get a rough idea of what a judge would award...you can also have a parlegal who has access to the live program run a disso for you..maybe $50-$75...
i am not an attorney but.....been there, done that...get a good ball busting attorney that represents men and understands mens rights in divorce/child custody..even if you have higher percentage custody, if earn more than your ex, you will be paying her some level of support...you jusst want to be able to minimize that expense....based on my experience...none of that $ ever really goes to the kids....
good luck...

CBadDad
12-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Who has physical custody of the kids?
I have them 80% of the time.
I'm not an expert in this, hell I don't even have kids...but from what I understand, this is how it works. They take your info and her info as well as percentage of custody, put it in a predetermined software and it generates a number. Everything else is negotiable from there - it does work to your benefit that you have them 80%.
That's pretty much what I thought too, but I was wondering if the intangibles were included into the equation, such as insurance (which I pay) and their extra curricular activities (which I pay as well).
Men dont get SH%T
Ain't that the truth.... After she tried to run me over and was arrested for Domestic Violence, Attemted Murder, Assault with a Deadly Weapon and Child Endangerment (my 9yr old was in the car with her) I was denied a permanent Restraining Order.
WTF, if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be rotting away in jail. Hell, they won't even press charges because the D.A. said that there wasn't a court in this country that wants to put a little girl on the stand against her mother. If she would've hit me, then that would've been a different story... :rolleyes:

CBadDad
12-13-2007, 08:40 AM
This shit kills me....
You're right, women have been doing it to men, but like I said if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be paying thru the nose and wouldn't able to make my monthly obligations.
Do you have any idea what it cost to raise three kids in SoCal? On a Civil Servants pay? Yes you do....
Why should she be allowed to skate from her obligations? :confused:

CBadDad
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
if your attorney doesn't have the answer to this...time to find a new attorney...
state of california uses a program called Dissomaster to calculate child support payments....basically it takes the % custody and income of both parents and pops out a number...lots of other tax related inputs but for this discuusion i'll ignore those...your issue is being able to verify your ex's income...big problem, but a judge is not going to let them hide any income...they will often use guidelines based on profession, skills, previous income to determine an "earning potential" to use in the dissomaster....for example if your ex was a nurse that would earn 75k per year and has chosen to work at home depot for $10 an hour to get more child support...no deal....
go online and do a search for dissomaster, you can download a demo version that you can play with numbers and get a rough idea of what a judge would award...you can also have a parlegal who has access to the live program run a disso for you..maybe $50-$75...
i am not an attorney but.....been there, done that...get a good ball busting attorney that represents men and understands mens rights in divorce/child custody..even if you have higher percentage custody, if earn more than your ex, you will be paying her some level of support...you jusst want to be able to minimize that expense....based on my experience...none of that $ ever really goes to the kids....
good luck...
Thanks.
Exactly... I got custody of my son about 15 years ago... never got a dime... It ain't worth the bullshit.
You're right too, and I certainly don't want to pay her support when they're with me most of the time.

Kilrtoy
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
You're right, women have been doing it to men, but like I said if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be paying thru the nose and wouldn't able to make my monthly obligations.
Do you have any idea what it cost to raise three kids in SoCal? On a Civil Servants pay? Yes you do....
Why should she be allowed to skate from her obligations? :confused:
Are they your kids? Then raise them. What if she died, there is no monthly payment there.
I hate when bitches do this to men, I myself would never do it to a woman, I just want them to go away and I dont need their money.
And Yes I do know what it is like to raise a family by myself.

Ziggy
12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
When they calculated the amount for me back 20+ years ago the State took 30% of my Gross earnings...we were at 50/50 custody then. Once State benefits ended for my exwife on her side(welfare type stuff) she unloaded my son and said I can have him now..........all she wanted was money and not my child.

BBGetOn
12-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Agree with Gmocnik above. The most important issue in your case is her failure to use her abilities to her full potential. If a parent refuses to maximize their income potential, the Court has the ability to impute income. As there is currently a shortage of nurses in California, it would seem to me that this would be a slam dunk for any attorney. Just my $.02.

Strippoker
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
This shit kills me....
I totally have to agree with Kiltroy on this. Im going threw hell with my ex she is always trying stunts with the money and all that crap. I roll quarters to make rent in a 2 bedroom condo mean time her and her boyfriend are sporting a 900k house and new cars. All beacause she found a way to show she makes less then me on the form seeing she filled when she was off work on workcomp. Also she has learned that if she doesnt get remarried that his income wont get figured in to hers. Honestly if I had mine full time I wouldnt ask for a dime. For one reason both my daugthers hate how she is always playing games for money at 10 and 12 they hear more from her then they should. I wouldnt want a dime if it was the other way seeing how I would have my kids and why teach them the leson that way too may little girls are getting shown (marry someone then take what you can get)
However from what I have been told 90% of the time in California if the man has the kids you are screwed once again meaing you wont see a dime of your EX's money. You have to rember you are dealing with a system that is wack it is still on the poor women the man was sooo wrong blah blah blah. That and rember you are dealing with a system that helps those poor illegal babies its not there fault that mommy snuck over the border and banged a guy at the bar one night.
The best advise I can give is this enjoy every day with your kids fell lucky that they get the time they do with you. Teach them that love isnt about the amount of money you can suck from someone, in the end you will come out ten times stronger in your kids eyes. There is a bunch of dads like me that spend $$$$ each year trying to have that dream.

73kona455
12-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Men dont get SH%T
U got that right...i have raised my son since he was 8 months old.. he turned 15 last sept... my ex has to pay $26 a weeks support:eek: .. and $4 a week of that goes to pay on here $13,000 arrearage...lol .. wish i could get a $13G loan for $16 a month......:)

topless
12-13-2007, 11:08 AM
It's very simple to figure it out. Use this
http://www.kinseylaw.com/CLIENT%20SERV/DIVORCE/supportcalc/supportcalc.html#anchor72147

WestTNRiverRat
12-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Are they your kids? Then raise them. What if she died, there is no monthly payment there.
Well er...actually there is. Each child gets a monthly Social Security check based on the amount of Social Security the parent paid since they started working. My sister's ex husband died two years ago and each of her boys receive $1805 a month direct deposited into my sister's checking account the 2nd Wednesday of the month. They get it till age 18 or until they graduate high school which ever comes first.
Hint, Hint... :D :D

Strippoker
12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
My sister's ex husband died two years ago and each of her boys receive $1805 a month direct deposited into my sister's checking account the 2nd Wednesday of the month. They get it till age 18 or until they graduate high school which ever comes first.
Hint, Hint... :D :D
Exactly the husband died not the wife. Sad thing to happen but the way this state works if the ex wife was to die you would be luck if the state sent flowers to the kids little lone give the ex husband a dime. You have to rember the husband is the peice of crap in the system no matter how you sugar coat it.

CBadDad
12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
You gotta get it in writing fellas. If my wife leaves, I get $5k a month. ;)
What happens if you toss her out?

WestTNRiverRat
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Exactly the husband died not the wife. Sad thing to happen but the way this state works if the ex wife was to die you would be luck if the state sent flowers to the kids little lone give the ex husband a dime. You have to rember the husband is the peice of crap in the system no matter how you sugar coat it.
It's Federal. Called Social Security Survivor benefits. If she never got to draw Social Security her dependent children get a portion of what she paid in. The ex won't get shit but her dependent children will.
If a loved one has died and you are eligible for survivor's benefits, you should contact the SSA right away. If you're already receiving benefits based on your spouse's earnings record, the SSA will change your payments to survivor's benefits (if your children are receiving benefits, their benefits will be changed, too). But if you're not yet receiving any Social Security benefits or if you're receiving benefits based on your own earnings record, you'll have to fill out an application for survivor's benefits.
It's helpful to have the following documents when you apply, but if you don't have all the information required, the SSA can help you get it:
* Proof of death (a death certificate or funeral home notice)
* Your Social Security number, as well as the deceased worker's number
* Your birth certificate
* Your marriage certificate, if you're a widow or widower
* Your divorce papers, if applicable
* Dependent children's Social Security numbers, if available
* The name of your bank, as well as your account numbers, for direct deposit

topless
12-13-2007, 05:06 PM
If we divorce. I get the kids and the money. Doesn't matter who leaves who. She wouldn't fight it, I'm pretty sure.Famous last words. :idea:

YeLLowBoaT
12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
If we divorce. I get the kids and the money. Doesn't matter who leaves who. She wouldn't fight it, I'm pretty sure.
Famous last words.

topless
12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Famous last words.I've heard that somewhere before.:eek:

topless
12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I fully expect that she would honor her commitments.
A woman scorned will do things you can't imagine.

ULTRA26 # 1
12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
My wife is not vindictive in the least. When given the choice between seeking revenge or sleeping for an extra hour before going to work, she's picking the sleep 100 times out of 100.
Not that we're planning on getting divorced. We've been married for 10 years. But, she did take off once for a couple days when the kids were babies. That's when the legal paperwork came out.
Aren't you a stay home Dad? I was lucky enough to do this until Jon was about 4. His Mom and a split when he was 12 and he stayed with me. My Son and I are best friends.

pancho
12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
dosen`t a screw start out small and work it`s way to large at the end

Riverkid
12-13-2007, 06:17 PM
you didn't take REB939's head weedwacker job... :D :D :D
He's a killer! :)

Riverkid
12-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I've been meaning to talk to you again. Where I'm at now, I'm over it. ;) Because most of his employees can't count, he thinks he can monkey with my pay. He also just arbitrarily changed one of my invoices because "the customer refused to pay more than x amount." I guess that would be fine if I had contracted with his customer for the work.
Always room for people that have good skills. I think you would do well wherever you end up.... We get PO's, and change orders, but never a short pay... ;)

Riverkid
12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
He shorted me $550 off one invoice and then "lost" four 5 week old invoices totaling another ~$3000. I'm really pissed. I basically just left at 1:30 today.
Oh, and of course, it's been almost 8 weeks since he last cut me a check. My invoices are net 10.
That could get ugly super quick... He's using the money somewhere... :mad:

Riverkid
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Already there, IMO. I have two cars "in progress", plus he now owes me about $5k. I'd like to tell him to kick rocks, but I want what's owed and what I've got going. I'm already into the "in progress" cars a couple hundreds in parts.
This guy is doing nice sand cars? Never screw with good people/subs/employees... He won't last too long doing that. Maybe he spent too much when it was big a year ago and can't slow down?

FOXMAN
12-13-2007, 07:59 PM
I hate when bitches do this to men, I myself would never do it to a woman, I just want them to go away and I dont need their money.
And Yes I do know what it is like to raise a family by myself.
Yes there would be money.. its called social security. If either parent dies the surviving parent collects until the child is 18.

FOXMAN
12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I have my 2 kids from my first marriage 50% of the time. joint custody and placement. The biaatch took me to court and gets support because i make more than her. Although they did give me a break because she only works part time..(her new hubby was furious when they did that):D The laws are different everywhere though.

C-2
12-13-2007, 09:00 PM
A woman scorned will do things you can't imagine.
Word
Need I remind you guys about my neighbor who has his kids 70% of the time...but his ex, after seeing him happily married again [10 years later], decided she needs child support.
Apparently she only has $1mil left out of the $5mil she won on the lotto.
Nice

copterzach
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Pre nump my friends. If you have $20 million, you can live on half. If you have $20,000, you can not live on half!!

CBadDad
12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Word
Need I remind you guys about my neighbor who has his kids 70% of the time...but his ex, after seeing him happily married again [10 years later], decided she needs child support.
Apparently she only has $1mil left out of the $5mil she won on the lotto.
Nice
The liars, er lawyers, will smoke thru that...