PDA

View Full Version : Froggystyle or any Naval Aviation Maintenance Guys Out There...

Jetaholic
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Any of you know anything about prior service members wanting to rejoin the service? I was an Aviation Electronics Technician (AT) O level in the Navy from 1998-2002. I hold NEC's for F/A-18A - D, as well as for E & F, and was on the weapon release check team (AKA the wire check team) for VFA - 146. I've done two WESTPAC cruises as well.
I got out with an honorable discharge with an RE-1 reenlistment code.
What would I have to do (where to go, who to talk to) about re-enlisting in the Navy? I'm not sure what the cutoff age is for reenlistment (I will be 28 in a couple weeks) but have been seriously rethinking going back in. I would want to go back in as an AT if I did so I wouldn't have to crossrate. I did 4 years of sea duty on my first term...I was up for shore duty orders before I got out...would they put me on shore duty upon reenlistment, or would I have to do sea duty again? I know I wouldn't have to redo boot camp.
Anyone who could give me any information in regards to this subject please post...it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Formula Dude
12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Any of you know anything about prior service members wanting to rejoin the service? I was an Aviation Electronics Technician (AT) O level in the Navy from 1998-2002. I hold NEC's for F/A-18A - D, as well as for E & F, and was on the weapon release check team (AKA the wire check team) for VFA - 146. I've done two WESTPAC cruises as well.
I got out with an honorable discharge with an RE-1 reenlistment code.
What would I have to do (where to go, who to talk to) about re-enlisting in the Navy? I'm not sure what the cutoff age is for reenlistment (I will be 28 in a couple weeks) but have been seriously rethinking going back in. I would want to go back in as an AT if I did so I wouldn't have to crossrate. I did 4 years of sea duty on my first term...I was up for shore duty orders before I got out...would they put me on shore duty upon reenlistment, or would I have to do sea duty again? I know I wouldn't have to redo boot camp.
Anyone who could give me any information in regards to this subject please post...it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
34 years old is the age limit. Why do you want to re-inlist? F/A-18 Avionics and Mech's are in high demand and get payed decent $. Do you have your A & P license? What part of the country are you located?

Sleeper CP
12-13-2007, 10:51 AM
You can try the San Diego Navy Recruiting office at 619-524-6734.
Sleeper CP

Jetaholic
12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm in Fresno CA.
I was talking to a friend of mine who has always been curious about my prior Navy experience...telling them some of the stories of the good times I had in the service...stories I haven't really thought about in the last 5 years...and it made me realize how good I really had it in the service. On top of that, the F/A-18 was a fun aircraft to work on...I used to rebuild a lot of wire harnesses on those things (the older Lot 10 aircraft had Kapton wire due to its light weight, which after it's been in contact with petroleum products such as hydraulic fluid or JP5 it eventually breaks down and becomes really brittle, which caused a lot of broken wires...I was repairing a lot of these) and I loved every minute of that.
Second reason...of course would be...
Australia. Need I say more? :D
No I don't have my A&P or my FCC license unfortunately. My question in regards to that is how much does it cost to go to school or take whatever test to get those licenses?

Jbb
12-13-2007, 11:11 AM
No I don't have my A&P or my FCC license unfortunately. My question in regards to that is how much does it cost to go to school or take whatever test to get those licenses?
I'll sell you mine!...make offer...:p

Jetaholic
12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
I'll sell you mine!...make offer...:p
Uh...$255. :D :D

Formula Dude
12-13-2007, 11:23 AM
If you are looking to work on F/A-18, there are job openings in NAS Lemoore & China Lake. These are civilian jobs paying much better $. There are a lot of high paying jobs overseas for F/A 15, 16 & 18 experienced technicians.

Jetaholic
12-13-2007, 11:27 AM
If you are looking to work on F/A-18, there are job openings in NAS Lemoore & China Lake. These are civilian jobs paying much better $. There are a lot of high paying jobs overseas for F/A 15, 16 & 18 experienced technicians.
Yeah I had wanted to get into that at one time. They have a Naval Aviation Depot (NADEP) at Lemoore NAS...worked with a lot of the civilians there while I was in on trying to troubleshoot MUX (multiplex buss) problems and helped them do the ARC-182 - ARC-210 comm radio conversion as well.
I may just have to go down and pay them a visit.

Formula Dude
12-13-2007, 11:42 AM
[No I don't have my A&P or my FCC license unfortunately. My question in regards to that is how much does it cost to go to school or take whatever test to get those licenses?[/QUOTE]
SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY COLLEGE INC
4985 E. ANDERSEN AVE.
FRESNO, CA 93727
(559)651-2500
Do not go to a Aviation School specializing in A & P? You can save $35k and buy your Snap-on tools.
Your navy experience might be applicable towards your A & P. You need to look up the codes and see if the FAA credits any of them. Some info:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office%5Forg/field%5Foffices/fsdo/fat/
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/fat/audience/fsdo_mechanics/
A lot of F/A-18 jobs may not require an A & P due to working for the government. In the the airline sector, most everyone has an A & P.

Infomaniac
12-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll sell you my A&P too. LOL
Dude you can contract to work on overseas military jets for big bucks.
Do a search on aviation jobs. Also contractor level maintenance on Navy jets would be much better than joining up again.

Pete454
12-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Any Recuiting office,
I was in AM for 22 years, I was a all systems QAR, on P-3 orions stationed in Jax. One of my buddies called looking for rework help, but I personally was just not intrested. I will say the retirement check each month is nice especially when work is slow.
To catch up to some old friends try:
http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/index.jsp
You may get the right answers and get a good hook up.