PDA

View Full Version : Any bathroom remodelers pro's here?

OutCole'd
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Got a question....

GOFSTSUMDAY
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
What's the question? I've remodeled more bathrooms than I really would have liked to do....

OutCole'd
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm gutting my bathroom and making a walk in shower, no doors, all stone. And I want to add some kind of heat in the shower stall. Any ideas rather than a forced air unit? Is there a electric heater of some kind I can put above the shower? Heat lamp maybe?
What's safe?
Thanks

atomickitn
12-13-2007, 01:12 PM
if you dont want air ......then you will have to suffer with heat lamps

PaPaG
12-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm gutting my bathroom and making a walk in shower, no doors, all stone. And I want to add some kind of heat in the shower stall. Any ideas rather than a forced air unit? Is there a electric heater of some kind I can put above the shower? Heat lamp maybe?
What's safe?
Thanks
Hey Baller, why not just buy another house with the remod's already done? :D

rocket98
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
If you want you can run some radiant heat in the floor.Radiant heat warms objects not the air

GOFSTSUMDAY
12-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I agree with atomickitn, you are pretty much stuck with ceiling mounted heat lamps if you don't want to go with forced heat. There are numerous options out there for you to choose from in various price ranges.

atomickitn
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
If you want you can run some radiant heat in the floor.Radiant heat warms objects not the air
that would require elect ......not good for in the shower use

OutCole'd
12-13-2007, 01:45 PM
if you dont want air ......then you will have to suffer with heat lamps
I agree, just looking for a heat lamp I can put above a shower. Preferably with a rheostat so I can turn it down if it's too hot.
Hey Baller, why not just buy another house with the remod's already done? :D
I'm cheap.
Looking for something to warm the air more than the floor. Thanks
I agree with atomickitn, you are pretty much stuck with ceiling mounted heat lamps if you don't want to go with forced heat. There are numerous options out there for you to choose from in various price ranges.
Any good links for a cool heat lamp set up?
Thanks

TeamGreene
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Try a steem shower and a radiant heat source in the floor is hot water plumbed under the tile or stone and should heat more than just the floor itself.

atomickitn
12-13-2007, 02:00 PM
most heat lamp set ups ..are really just a bulb but if your looking for something a lil hotter .....I have seen a ceramic style bulb that requires a specific case with thermal protection .....I personaly have never installed one yet .....but if you check with your local elect supply co ...they will be able to direct you in the right direction .......try graybar elect .....or better yet ask ( WYRD ) he is in the comm side of elect

atomickitn
12-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Try a steem shower and a radiant heat source in the floor is hot water plumbed under the tile or stone and should heat more than just the floor itself.
way costly .....and a pain in the but

Schiada76
12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
What's safe?
Thanks
Why no forced air?
Are you making the entire room a shower?
If you have a cabinet in the room put in a toe kick heater.

Not So Fast
12-13-2007, 02:07 PM
What's safe?
Thanks
After you get this figured out let me know cause our shower is a walk-in and always cold. Only thing I have is a light overhead??? NSF

OutCole'd
12-13-2007, 02:07 PM
most heat lamp set ups ..are really just a bulb but if your looking for something a lil hotter .....I have seen a ceramic style bulb that requires a specific case with thermal protection .....I personaly have never installed one yet .....but if you check with your local elect supply co ...they will be able to direct you in the right direction .......try graybar elect .....or better yet ask ( WYRD ) he is in the comm side of elect
Thanks for the info, after doing some more searching, I found this.set up. (http://www.lightingdirect.com/index.cfm/page/product:display/productId/P6952TG/manufacturer/Progress%20Lighting/categoryId/2626/finish/Satin%20Aluminum) I think this may work fine.

atomickitn
12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
that is perfect for your aplication.... there are several different heat range's of bulbs to select from ... happy hunting

2Driver
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Forget the french fry heaters.
You want radiant floor heating from these guys:
http://www.suntouch.com/
Easy to install and it goes under the tile prior to installing the tile- yes even under the shower tile. It uses very low energy. Not only does the floor get warm but it keeps the whole room warm as well. We it put in our Master bath when we remodeled and it is the best thing ever. The wall thermostat is programmable. We set ours on 88 in the winter and the floor is toasty warm.

Mandelon
12-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Better to put a door on it. And frankly I am insulted you didn't call.
You can use the radiant heat wiring behind the walls and floor, but it will take a while to heat up all that mass to make the room warm. It can be set up with a timer, so it will come on every morning at 6:00 am to 7:00 am if that's what you want, then it would be toasty when you finally got your lazy ass out of bed.
A heat lamp will cook the top of your head. I'd place it outside of the shower, but near it. Plus splashing water on that smoking hot bulb might produce some bad results...
Just having an electric wall furnace could do the trick, mounted anywhere in the bath. if you have a exhaust/vent fan above the shower, it will draw in the warmer (heated) make-up air. The unit could have a fan or not. Newer style units aren't as ugly as those old chrome things. Of course you would want billet aluminum.....:idea:
I have used those snailshell type showers with no door, and they are too cold for me. Whatever part of you isn't it the water stream gets cold.

2Driver
12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Our floor is set at 88 all day and all night. Room is always warm and the floor feels great on the toes. I was surprised how little energy it took.

WestTNRiverRat
12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Easy to install and it goes under the tile prior to installing the tile- yes even under the shower tile. It uses very low energy. Not only does the floor get warm but it keeps the whole room warm as well. We it put in our Master bath when we remodeled and it is the best thing ever. The wall thermostat is programmable. We set ours on 88 in the winter and the floor is toasty warm.
Ditto. Remodeled a bath in my home and did the same thing. Works great.

Ziggy
12-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Floor heating is da bomb..I was in a ice cold bathroom in Europe that had floor heating and it was the best thing since sliced bread.....
Now that I think about it, here's a guy in Vegas who is cold? wtf?:D :D

YeLLowBoaT
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Nutone makes a combo vent/ heater/ light deal... I've installed maybe 25 of them... for a small bathroom ( say 80 ish sqft) it takes only about 2 mins to get them hot. They do require thier own breaker, and wiring them is a little bit of work ( as you need 7 wires) not really hard, if you fallow then instructions... They can not be placed in the shower. They are also not very loud.
link (http://www.nutone.com/product-detail.asp?ProductID=10217)

77charger
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I have seen the kind that are under all the tile ones that heat the floor only a couple of times and according to the contractors they work well alot of tubing under the floor though probaly been about 5 years since i have seen that kind of set up.How about a steam set up in the shower area?
I only see about 5 showers a day since i waterproof them for the last 13 years.

YeLLowBoaT
12-13-2007, 05:14 PM
If its not enclosed a steam shower really won't do much.

OutCole'd
12-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Better to put a door on it. And frankly I am insulted you didn't call.
You can use the radiant heat wiring behind the walls and floor, but it will take a while to heat up all that mass to make the room warm. It can be set up with a timer, so it will come on every morning at 6:00 am to 7:00 am if that's what you want, then it would be toasty when you finally got your lazy ass out of bed.
A heat lamp will cook the top of your head. I'd place it outside of the shower, but near it. Plus splashing water on that smoking hot bulb might produce some bad results...
Just having an electric wall furnace could do the trick, mounted anywhere in the bath. if you have a exhaust/vent fan above the shower, it will draw in the warmer (heated) make-up air. The unit could have a fan or not. Newer style units aren't as ugly as those old chrome things. Of course you would want billet aluminum.....:idea:
I have used those snailshell type showers with no door, and they are too cold for me. Whatever part of you isn't it the water stream gets cold.
I didn't call you because I'm still not over the CD mix you gave me.:D
Radiant seems like a great way to go for the whole bathroom, although my main concern is just realy the shower area.
We have no extra heat in there now and it's never been a big deal. Just with a new shower, I thought adding this would be nice.
I know the heat lamp is hot, but it's a 9' ceiling, and I'm 6' tall. That's a 3' gap. I was hoping to add a rheostat or a lower wattage bulb if it gets too hot. Also, I don't see water splashing that high, it does not splash the ceiling now.
The electric furnace is out, I've looked at them online and not an easy way to work that into the design.
Plus, it is Vegas, I would use a heater for about two months out of the year.
Any idea of cost for the materials for something like this? It's a decent size bathroom, about 12' x 10'.
Like I said above, I'm not too concerned about heating the whole bathroom, mainly the shower area. Right now, when it gets cold, like it is now, you're freezing in the shower except where the water is hitting you. With a heat lamp, it will hit the air and warm up the entire area, not just the floor.

Sigus
12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Are any of you guys in the business of design and remodel? I have two baths that could really use a face lift in Anaheim. Or can you suggest a someone?
Maybe I should start this in another thread.

haulina29
12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I use radiant in all my projects showers and tile floors and it is awsome...

Mandelon
12-13-2007, 06:11 PM
You're 6 feet tall? Oops, my bad. I thought this was a post by Billy.

2Driver
12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
IAny idea of cost for the materials for something like this? It's a decent size bathroom, about 12' x 10'.
Like I said above, I'm not too concerned about heating the whole bathroom, mainly the shower area. Right now, when it gets cold, like it is now, you're freezing in the shower except where the water is hitting you. With a heat lamp, it will hit the air and warm up the entire area, not just the floor.
We had a big master as well. I think it was about $750 for the whole thing. Call them. You can send them your floor plan and they will lay it out and give you the correct amount to order.

OutCole'd
12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
You're 6 feet tall? Oops, my bad. I thought this was a post by Billy.
:D
We had a big master as well. I think it was about $750 for the whole thing. Call them. You can send them your floor plan and they will lay it out and give you the correct amount to order.
OK, Thanks, I'll do that.

phebus
12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Just wear a wetsuit. :idea:

maxwedge
12-13-2007, 10:08 PM
As long as your ripping up the whole bathroom anyway, radiant heat is easy. They make electric grids that get mortared right under the tile, even in shower stalls if you want, or you could use a hydronic (hot water) system, that would likely be far more expensive to install, but probably will be more effcient to run, especially if you are using a gas water heater. Also, hydronic is generally easier to install if it can be placed directly in the slab when it's poured or if there is access between the joists on a wood floor. The electric mat systems cost anywhere for $300 and up depending on size, quality, features, etc. The nice thing about the mats is you can place them just in areas where you are likely to be standing, like right in front of the sink or shower, so you don't neccsarily have to cover the whole area, especially if it is already heated by other means. The main drawback with any of the radiant systems I've used is that it they take a while to heat up (several hours) so you pretty much have to leave it on all the time, or use a timer, but it does keep you nice and toasty in a way forced air can't. Also it's important that the installer knows what they are doing or you are going to have tons of cracked tiles.

BoatPI
12-14-2007, 06:24 AM
I solved some of this recently during a remodel of two bathrooms.
It is cool and damp at the beach most of the time so we insulated all walls INCLUDING the interior walls, and added a plastic vapor barrier taping all seams. Do not forget to foam fill the holes that the pipes travel through.

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I solved some of this recently during a remodel of two bathrooms.
It is cool and damp at the beach most of the time so we insulated all walls INCLUDING the interior walls, and added a plastic vapor barrier taping all seams. Do not forget to foam fill the holes that the pipes travel through.
Plastic vapor barrier? Visqueen or Tyvek?
Visqueen=bad. No vapor transfer at all.....condensation can form in the wall and cause real moisture problems.

YeLLowBoaT
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
most people these days just use a closed cell foam in bathrooms( atleast on higher end homes)

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM
most people these days just use a closed cell foam in bathrooms( atleast on higher end homes)
That can be bad too. People don't understand about vapor transfer and the dangers of condensation within closed up wall cavities. A house exhausts moisture vapors through the walls...yes right through the drywall. And when it can't get out.....it can condense inside especially given large temp differences.

YeLLowBoaT
12-14-2007, 08:41 AM
the idea behind the closed cell stuff is that its so dense that it allow moisture to travel very slow. Atleast thats info I've gotton from 3 insulation contractors I have spoken with about it. I have to admit is pretty cool watching them spray that stuff as a liquid and watching it expand.
I hate fiber glass...

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
As long as the vapor can transfer.....that's what matters. That's why Tyvek is the shizz. It has pores small enough for water vapor to transfer, but not liquid itself.

BoatPI
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Tyvek IS the SAI. My whole house has it and the new bathrooms, then tar paper layer and metal screen as my tule contractor even floated the walls so they are 100% flat and level. Entire room in travertine except ceiling that is cedar.
When I built the upstairs master it got the 11" valted ceiling and amazingly NO mold even in the corners. living by the beach is fine but it has challenges.