PDA

View Full Version : Cam ???

Jetaholic
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
So I was playing with my engine config in Desktop Dyno...
I was kinda messing with the cam timing to change the duration and widen the LSA...ended up removing all overlap...
The results were 537 peak horsepower at 6000 RPM, and 540 ft lbs peak torque at 4500 RPM...0 overlap @ .050 and a 113 LSA.
If you could achieve these kind of numbers with a cam with no overlap, what exactly is the purpose of the overlap in a cam? What are the differences between a narrow and wide LSA performancewise?

Josh@JBP
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0405_camshaft_variables_basics/index.html half way down the page
This explains it better than I could retype it. Just remember DTD doesnt tell you how these changes affect vacuum, cylinder psi....and other little things that affect the way the engine runs in real life.

IMPATIENT 1
12-14-2007, 02:41 PM
use the dd iterator program, punch in a wide range of ivo ivc etc. and let the program run all day if you have too. it'll pick out a better cam than what you can buy off the shelf;)
look towards the top lh of the dd page, the little I icon is the iterator program. i play with it more than anything else on the computer! its pretty good to.