PDA

View Full Version : Should Oprah keep her mouth shut?????????

Not So Fast
12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
After seeing what has happened to Obama's poll rankings since Oprah came out in such strong support I'm wondering if celebrities should voice their opinion. Before any one says it I happen to watch once in a while because my wife likes her show along with an untold amount of viewers and the reason I say this is because this is one of the most popular and powerful women in the world.
I just think it's incorrect for her to influence (and she will, believe it!!) the vote of so many people that it could, and probably will affect the Presidential race:idea:
Whats your take??????????????? NSF <<>> Go Bolts

fatboy95
12-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Doesn't matter, Jesse and Al will step in and screw up everything for her...along with the NAACP

ratso
12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd like to pop that bitch in the jaw, then her mouth would be shut... wired shut.

Old Texan
12-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I'd like to pop that bitch in the jaw, then her mouth would be shut... wired shut.
Dr. Phil wants to sit down and have a long talk with you Mister.......:devil: :D

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Obama better be careful about filling up his campaign wagon full of celebs. They may very well overshadow him. It won't be easy making sure Will Smith and Oprah are only support characters. The crowds will be out to see the Hollywood faces, and Obama could end up as a sideshow.
If Obama gets his campaign too full of African American faces he may just derail his train with mainstream voters. Many won't vote for him because he is black. I think that is a small percentage though. However among those who wouldn't have an issue with a black president, might have an issue getting behind an all black steamroller full of african faces. If super vocal rascists like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson climb on board it may be too much "negro" for many voters to handle....
Oprah is popular, wildly so in fact. Many of her viewers now read the books she pushes. If Obama is good enough for her, Obama will be good enough for many of her viewers who don't have the time or inclination to do their own research.
One might say that if the celeb infusion gets more people out to vote, maybe it isn't such a bad thing.....if you are on their side of course. Fred Thompson and Rudy Giuliani might be a little lonely hanging out at the big gala events with Ted Nugent and Charleton Heston... :D
Mr White Bread Mitt Romney will be suffering from a different type of stereo typing and discrimination. As a Mormon, he has an uphill battle as well. Of course they used to say a Catholic would never be president, and that Kennedy fella sure proved them wrong.....as one of the most celebrated political faces of our time.
Some celebs that have come out in vocal support of left leaning causes have, in my opinion hurt their careers. I would never pay to see some movies with those anti american left leaning crazies in them. Janine Garafalo, Joe Piscapo, Michael Moore and others over there won't be getting any of my dough. I wouldn't support child molesters like Roman Polanski either.
As an American, I believe it is good to see more people involved. It may not be what's best for me personally, but I'll muddle through whatever they come up with.
Keep in mind when Clinton won, he did so with 43% of the vote....and Bush with even less, as I recall....
40% is democratic, 40% is republican....so its the "tweeners" that really decide the election. Far left and Far right are not automatically the winnning sides, it will more likely be someone dynamic who can inspire those voters in between.
There is still plenty of time for weird shit to happen to any of these campaigns. Hillary may have some tricks up her sleeve, and someone may have the dirt on her as well.....we will all just have to stay tuned.

ratso
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Dr. Phil wants to sit down and have a long talk with you Mister.......:devil: :D
:idea:

YeLLowBoaT
12-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Obama better be careful about filling up his campaign wagon full of celebs. They may very well overshadow him. It won't be easy making sure Will Smith and Oprah are only support characters. The crowds will be out to see the Hollywood faces, and Obama could end up as a sideshow.
If Obama gets his campaign too full of African American faces he may just derail his train with mainstream voters. Many won't vote for him because he is black. I think that is a small percentage though. However among those who wouldn't have an issue with a black president, might have an issue getting behind an all black steamroller full of african faces. If super vocal rascists like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson climb on board it may be too much "negro" for many voters to handle....
I know if I was going to vote of Obama and those two clowns were to Publicly support him, he would lose my vote.

cdog
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
She's an American just like the rest of us. She's got a right to her opinion. I've got the right to change the channel. And I've got the right to not vote for osama for the same reason she's supporting him. We can't start putting conditions on whom and what our freedom of speech applies for.
FYI. I’m not a bigot. I was using that as an example.:sqeyes:

Not So Fast
12-14-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not thinking black or white here, just that Oprah, like it or not wields a strong amount of support, probably more than any other celeb. Like Mandelon says it may convince some peolple to cast their vote for him just because she likes him. And thats OK if she likes him, dont get me wrong, but give her opinion if asked, dont start this huge bandwagon with her leading the way and asking all her followers to join in. The guy has a suspect past IMO but its just that, my opinion, period.
It's a sad lot to choose from in the first place :( :( NSF <<>> Go Bolts

SummitKarl
12-14-2007, 01:25 PM
After seeing what has happened to Obama's poll rankings since Oprah came out in such strong support I'm wondering if celebrities should voice their opinion. Before any one says it I happen to watch once in a while because my wife likes her show along with an untold amount of viewers and the reason I say this is because this is one of the most popular and powerful women in the world.
I just think it's incorrect for her to influence (and she will, believe it!!) the vote of so many people that it could, and probably will affect the Presidential race:idea:
I have nothing against Oprah or Obama, but being as Oprah has never supported a political candidate before, her "timing" to me seems a bit transparent:idea: so I don't put much value in her endorsement(s)
now if Billy Mays were to endorse a candidate on one of his infomercials:idea: , I would be all over that bandwagon:) :) :D
bottom line..do your own research, make up your own mind and try to vote with intelligence;)

Not So Fast
12-14-2007, 01:28 PM
She's an American just like the rest of us. She's got a right to her opinion. I've got the right to change the channel. And I've got the right to not vote for osama for the same reason she's supporting him. We can't start putting conditions on whom and what our freedom of speech applies for.
FYI. I’m not a bigot. I was using that as an example.:sqeyes:
Absolutely she has the right to her opinion!! My question is should, is as stated, SHOULD she try to impart her will on her followers of which the numbers support the notion that it could change the outcome of an election. Her popularity is more than just about any other person in the world. NSF

Schiada76
12-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Hell yes! She'd be able to drop a few pounds fo sho then.:eek: :D

OutCole'd
12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Absolutely she has the right to her opinion!! My question is should, is as stated, SHOULD she try to impart her will on her followers of which the numbers support the notion that it could change the outcome of an election. Her popularity is more than just about any other person in the world. NSF
I see what your saying Bobby, but I think there is no difference in her using her popularity to sway voters or a Billionair spending millions swaying voters. He's using cash, she's using popularity.
Either way, I hope voters will see between the BS and vote for someone who is going to get us moving more in best direction.

cdog
12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
It's a slippery slope I agree. We get the government we vote for. If you ask me only land owners should be allowed to vote. I'm in the camp that feels we as a country are on the decline. Most of those fools are not fit to be president. The only one who makes any sense is shunned as a crack pot. My vote would be for Ron Paul or Thompson. Anyone after that is choosing the least worst.:eek:
Rudy’s a democrap in a repubs suit. :messedup:
Romney is slightly more trustworthy.:eek:
Huckabee is all about the Jesus.:squiggle:
McCain is an establishment meet the new boss same as the old boss idiot.:coffeycup
I’m thrilled ant the line up.:rolleyes:

ULTRA26 # 1
12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Bobby,
I completely understand where you are coming from but is Oprah any different than lets say former Presidents or any other celeb. ?
If Oprah truely believes in her candidate, IMO, she should be able to speak her mind. I believe that ultimately, a candidate for President will win or lose on his or her own merits or lack thereof. Just my .02 :)

redneckcharlie
12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd be willing to bet Oprah and the like have alot less influence then you would think. I can't think of one celebrity in the past that has actually made a difference in an elections outcome. But regardless, she's entitled to express her opinion. I actually hope she keeps it up in full strength. ;)

Cole Trickle
12-14-2007, 02:02 PM
It'a no different than Clinton playing the sax on the Arsenio Hall show.
It's not the way I vote but you can bet that she could easily sway the polls. Realisticly the polls won't matter as it's alot easier to call cnn/abc on the phone or respond via email/text vs. getting your ass off the couch and heading to the voting booth. Pretty sure there is a huge percentage of women that don't vote so the end results won't be effected.
I'm voting for Perot:D

ratso
12-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I have nothing against Oprah or Obama, but being as Oprah has never supported a political candidate before, her "timing" to me seems a bit transparent:idea: so I don't put much value in her endorsement(s)
now if Billy Mays were to endorse a candidate on one of his infomercials:idea: , I would be all over that bandwagon:) :) :D
bottom line..do your own research, make up your own mind and try to vote with intelligence;)
LOL!:D Ya Think so?:idea:

soupersonic
12-14-2007, 02:16 PM
He is allowing her to speak up for him because he needs her credibility.His skills are what? One term as a junior senator? He is not qualified for the job IMO and poses no threat.

cdog
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM
There might be hope. Go Fred!
CNN POLL: SOUTH CAROLINA
Huckabee 24%
Thompson 17%
Giuliani 16%
Romney 16%
McCain 13%
Paul 11%

SB
12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Why would I care what her opinion is on politics? Does she call me for advice on tv productions?

Family Jewell
12-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Look at it this way!! If Oprah helps Obama and this in turn Keeps Clinton Out I am all for it. Life will not be the same if Clinton gets in!!! Some times you have to look at the entire picture!!!

cdog
12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I think obama is easier to defeat than clinton. The dems are now rooting for huckabee. They think he can be defeated due to all his religious pandering and the aids issue.
Sort of the battle beyond the battle if you will.

Not So Fast
12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Bobby,
I completely understand where you are coming from but is Oprah any different than lets say former Presidents or any other celeb. ?
If Oprah truely believes in her candidate, IMO, she should be able to speak her mind. I believe that ultimately, a candidate for President will win or lose on his or her own merits or lack thereof. Just my .02 :)
I think she is more influencial that any past President. She is immensely popular, thats the only reason I said this. and again it is her right, not disputing that. Just a thought after watching the jump in numbers for Obama since Oprah joined. NSF

YeLLowBoaT
12-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Whats sad is I think Oprah would be a better president then any of the people currently running. For the record, I do not even like her.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I believe that ultimately, a candidate for President will win or lose on his or her own merits or lack thereof. Just my .02 :)
IMHO, you're giving the American electorate WAY too much credit...Far too many people take what is force-fed to them by the media in sound bites as opposed to researching the candidates/issues for themselves so the merits are never really fully known...

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Whats sad is I think Oprah would be a better president then any of the people currently running. For the record, I do not even like her.
LMAO

sanger rat
12-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Forget Hollywood and the Media. The grass root support is what's going to win this election. http://ronpaul.meetup.com/about/

Baja Big Dog
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Its a sad day when ANYONE would vote for any candidate based on the word of any celeb!!!
Although may celebs are better qualified than the idiot they are supporting!!!:mad:

mbrown2
12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
You can't start questioning one's freedoms when it does not follow your opinion...
Transparent or Self Serving so what....its no different then the lobbyist that pour in billions to sway elections or bills..
The celebs have always swayed left....and right now the country is ready for the pendulum to swing from the right...
So Oprah helps to get someone in....so what .....if its the right person great, if it is the wrong person it will be 4 years or stale mates between the executive, legislative and judicial branches and Oprah's vote next time won't mean $hit

Rvr Swpr
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Let Oprah talk,she could help take out MR.& Mrs. Clinton. Obama is easily beaten by the right republican.:D

boatsnblondes
12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Let Oprah talk,she could help take out MR.& Mrs. Clinton. Obama is easily beaten by the right republican.:D
Exactly, she's trainling in all three primaries...thank God....maybe she will fold up by February??
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22217110

ULTRA26 # 1
12-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Too bad there is no 'Right Republican" :D
Exactly, she's trainling in all three primaries...thank God....maybe she will fold up by February??
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22217110
From your link
National polls still give Hillary a double-digit lead.
While I don't care much for Hilary but she is going to be tough to beat.
BTW How have you been?
Merry Christmas

Rvr Swpr
12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Should have typed ANY Republican.:D

Cheap Thrills
12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
DING!!!!!Thank You !
I said this in an earlier thread but was all but accused of being a racist.
How long has she been in the "Public Eye". How many presidential terms has she seen while in the public eye? and why is she just now endorsing a candidate ..Obamma?
Seems to me it's a little more of a racial issue than a political issue to me.
And to all the nay sayers. Why are you so blind to the obvious ?
Fock em all.....
T. Not a racist but recognizes a load of bullshit when he sees one.
T.

westair
12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Not a black/white issue now but the democrats are gonna make it one when Obama loses.

boatsnblondes
12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Too bad there is no 'Right Republican" :D
From your link
National polls still give Hillary a double-digit lead.
While I don't care much for Hilary but she is going to be tough to beat.
BTW How have you been?
Merry Christmas
Yeah, I saw that also, but decided that it was pertanent (sp) because it seems that whomever wins these first three can sort of set the standard for the race. So I think it will be telling to see if she makes it, or not. Personally, I hope not. But then, I haven't heard or seen anything from anyone on my side either that gives me hope.
In other breaking news, rumor has it that Pelosi is on her last legs as majority leader. Your thoughts?
AS for me, I'm fine, getting the house ready for Christmas, and back doing my thing. I'm just kinda slowing my life down a little, relaxing and enjoying this Christmas...kinda nice....but this board....has died...nothing interesting to read....so I have stayed away and done other stuff....amazing how many honey-do's I can get done when not on here yapping politico all day with you, huh? the very best to you and yours, and a very MERRY Christmas....

Sleeper CP
12-14-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm not thinking black or white here, just that Oprah, like it or not wields a strong amount of support, probably more than any other celeb. Like Mandelon says it may convince some peolple to cast their vote for him just because she likes him. And thats OK if she likes him, dont get me wrong, but give her opinion if asked, dont start this huge bandwagon with her leading the way and asking all her followers to join in. The guy has a suspect past IMO but its just that, my opinion, period.
It's a sad lot to choose from in the first place :( :( NSF <<>> Go Bolts
I have'nt read this entire thread yet, but I will point out that you may not be thinking black and white, but Oprah sure is. What other qualifications does Obama have:confused: The answer is: next to none. Check out his voting record on www.votesmart.org he is one of the most left wing voting senators in Congress. He vote's to the left of Ted Kennedy on most issue's.
His only qualification that Oprah is supporting him for is that he is Black , just like many Women will support Hil because she is women. It's a "F"ing shame that's for sure. But your original question was " should Oprah keep her mouth shut" well I don't think Rush or Hannity or Medved or Hewitt or Praiger should have to keep their mouths shut. But they do speak to different group of people.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Its too bad Duncan Hunter isn't getting more attention. He may be the right candidate. Immigration reform is his deal. He's a congressman from San Diego. He just doesn't seem to generate any press. :confused:
http://www.gohunter08.com/inner.asp?z=3

Sleeper CP
12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
I saw what Ultra wrote and he is right. Do we have "the right republican" I hope we do:idea:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

ULTRA26 # 1
12-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I saw that also, but decided that it was pertanent (sp) because it seems that whomever wins these first three can sort of set the standard for the race. So I think it will be telling to see if she makes it, or not. Personally, I hope not. But then, I haven't heard or seen anything from anyone on my side either that gives me hope.
In other breaking news, rumor has it that Pelosi is on her last legs as majority leader. Your thoughts?
AS for me, I'm fine, getting the house ready for Christmas, and back doing my thing. I'm just kinda slowing my life down a little, relaxing and enjoying this Christmas...kinda nice....but this board....has died...nothing interesting to read....so I have stayed away and done other stuff....amazing how many honey-do's I can get done when not on here yapping politico all day with you, huh? the very best to you and yours, and a very MERRY Christmas....
Been doing the same here. I look forward to doing somethng a little different each year with the exterior lights and decor. It's fun.
I hadn't heard anything about Pelosi at all. Not sure what her furture holds.
Glad your doing well. You seem much more laid back and relaxed which is a good thing. Again, Merry Christmas to you, your wife (it's Chris isn't it?) and your family.
UL :D

boatsnblondes
12-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Been doing the same here. I look forward to doing somethng a little different each year with the exterior lights and decor. It's fun.
I hadn't heard anything about Pelosi at all. Not sure what her furture holds.
Glad your doing well. You seem much more laid back and relaxed which is a good thing. Again, Merry Christmas to you, your wife (it's Chris isn't it?) and your family.
UL :D
We did the entire house this year, and that tall peak to the right? 30' in the air....not an easy light job....but, it looks great, and I bought a 5' wide lit wreath to hang above the office window, the window to the front of the house, downstairs, with the rock work around it. I'll see if I can get the camera to take a few pics if ya want.
Yeah, if you hadn't heard about Pelosi, I guess it is a rumor after all....
As for Chris and I, we are doing ok, we have found out that Chris mother's fight with Melanoma has taken a grave turn for the worse, and has metastasized up near her spine...we are hopeful, but not too optimistic. So we will give her the best Christmas ever this year, and go into next year knowing her little light that shines so brightly, will most likely be a dim memory this time next year.....and yes, my heart is breaking.....I am one of those guys that loves and adores his mother in law, and it's like losing my own mom...I have no words....so keep us in your prayers up here...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45254&stc=1&d=1197688673

pancho
12-14-2007, 07:26 PM
TURN OFF THE TV,this is a talk show host ,when did this person become important,this ridiculouos fascination with celebs has got to stop,so i guess the person with the most airtime or popularity sways the lambs,go back to endorsing books and recipes,i am so sick of hearing what she`s worth is that the measure of a person (lame).BNB welcome back,that was a cool post,hope all is well on youre side

77Woodbridge
12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
It'a no different than Clinton playing the sax on the Arsenio Hall show.
It's not the way I vote but you can bet that she could easily sway the polls. Realisticly the polls won't matter as it's alot easier to call cnn/abc on the phone or respond via email/text vs. getting your ass off the couch and heading to the voting booth. Pretty sure there is a huge percentage of women that don't vote so the end results won't be effected.
I'm voting for Perot:D
:D :D :D

The Doctor
12-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Where much is given,
Much is required!
It's my opinion that she needs to be very cautious wielding with the celebrity status she has.

Excessive Force
12-14-2007, 09:45 PM
....If super vocal rascists like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson climb on board it may be too much "negro" for many voters to handle....
Now that thers funny!!!!!!

homelessinaz
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Isn't asking Oprah not to express her opinion because she's just too influential a bit like asking her to give up her freedom of speech? Is there going to be a limit to how much influence a person can wield without government apporval? Is she going to need to get a permit for such a powerful voice, you know, kinda like a permit for a Class III weapon?
Isn't anyone going to address the 500 pound gorilla in this room; the fact that Chuck Norris just endorsed Huckabee? You talk about star power.
Homeless

OverKill
12-15-2007, 01:55 AM
DING!!!!!Thank You !
I said this in an earlier thread but was all but accused of being a racist.
How long has she been in the "Public Eye". How many presidential terms has she seen while in the public eye? and why is she just now endorsing a candidate ..Obamma?
Seems to me it's a little more of a racial issue than a political issue to me.
And to all the nay sayers. Why are you so blind to the obvious ?
Fock em all.....
T. Not a racist but recognizes a load of bullshit when he sees one.
T.
Couldn't agreel more. Oprah has been a national icon for more than 2 decades. So now all of the sudden she supports one of the canidates. Why not any of the others. It just to happens the one Black person running she supports, what are the odds. IMO let her run her mouth, it will hurt his numbers big time in the end. If he were smart he would back away from her until election was over. Also IMO he is to young and still wet behind the ears to be President. I tell ya who ever gets the job has alot of S**T to clean up.
OverKill

pancho
12-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Couldn't agreel more. Oprah has been a national icon for more than 2 decades. So now all of the sudden she supports one of the canidates. Why not any of the others. It just to happens the one Black person running she supports, what are the odds. IMO let her run her mouth, it will hurt his numbers big time in the end. If he were smart he would back away from her until election was over. Also IMO he is to young and still wet behind the ears to be President. I tell ya who ever gets the job has alot of S**T to clean up.
OverKill
Oprah has carefully and calculatingly climbed to the top,none of this was dumb luck,her stepping out now stinks for both parties,being linked to a loss is never good for someone in the public eye.She has played her political poker hand very well up to now,i think the whole thing is gonna stink in the end but should make for some interesting media

pancho
12-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Oprahs climb to the top is every bit a political campaign,when i watch her show i cant help but think she is saying what she thinks people want to hear,curious to see if she actually speaks her mind,i`m pancho and i approve this message

Not So Fast
12-15-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't care for Oprah, personally, but she's much more influential than a celebrity. She's a national icon. She is the only black woman billionaire in the world. She had been called the most influential woman in the world, possibly in the history of the world. She's not a celebrity. Paris Hilton is a celebrity.
Bingo, thats the point I was trying to make. She and she alone could influence the election, thats the question. NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
We did the entire house this year, and that tall peak to the right? 30' in the air....not an easy light job....but, it looks great, and I bought a 5' wide lit wreath to hang above the office window, the window to the front of the house, downstairs, with the rock work around it. I'll see if I can get the camera to take a few pics if ya want.
Yeah, if you hadn't heard about Pelosi, I guess it is a rumor after all....
As for Chris and I, we are doing ok, we have found out that Chris mother's fight with Melanoma has taken a grave turn for the worse, and has metastasized up near her spine...we are hopeful, but not too optimistic. So we will give her the best Christmas ever this year, and go into next year knowing her little light that shines so brightly, will most likely be a dim memory this time next year.....and yes, my heart is breaking.....I am one of those guys that loves and adores his mother in law, and it's like losing my own mom...I have no words....so keep us in your prayers up here...
Always sorry to hear sad news. Will do.