View Full Version : starting problem

Tbigrat
06-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Can any one help me? I just replaced my starter and battery. But whaen I go to start nothing happens. I've got 12.45 volts at the starter and on the battery. On the juction block on one terminal I get 12v and on another I get 1v But no voltage on the ignition terminal. Could the circuit breaker have gone bad? Has this ever happened to anyone? Please help Tony (1978 Tahiti)

Moneypitt
06-30-2003, 11:32 PM
What kind of boat, stock, custom, hotrod, ETC, and the same info about the wiring, controls etc........Moneypitt

Snorider
07-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Check the starter relay

Moneypitt
07-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Ford ,chevy, dodge ,olds???????

Tbigrat
07-01-2003, 09:19 PM
1978 Tahiti Chevy big block bored and stroked to 496 cubic inches. JE dome pistons 10.25-1, Eagle 6.385 H beam rods, Childs & Albert rings, Crower 4.250 4340 Crank, Jesel belt drive and shaft mounted rockers, Crower roller cam with matching springs, Brodix 2 plus heads, full MSD ingition, Edlebrock tunnel ram with Race Demon 925 carb, Basset ot headers, Braided lines through out, Dolley 10q Pan with scraper and screen, Trickflow 1 piece pushrods, Holley high volume fuel pump with regulator, Tilton hd starter, Stock wiring in boat, fuel and water separator, Panther pump. please help Tony

Moneypitt
07-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Alright!!!from the description of this engine it should stsrt when you snap your fingers, wow, what a bunch of great stuff. To your problem, the 12 v at the starter, is that at the large battery cable terminal, or the small "start" term. while in the start posistion of the key? Ok scratch that, what happens if you connect, (hot wire), 12v to the small term. on the starter? does it crank? if you have the large batt cable hooked to the starter, and a solid ground to the block (good battery, right?) and hit the "trigger" term w/ 12v and nothing happens, the starter is bad. If on the other hand, the starter works when "hot wired" in this manner, the problem falls back to: (1) the wiring between the "start" pos. on the switch and the trigger term. (2) the switch it's self, while in the "start pos. (3) the source, 12v, to the switch. a volt meter will tell you where the 12v stops, check the back of the switch for 12v "IN", and follow the path, to the "run" term., and the "start" term., It is not un common for the switch to fail in the start position due to corosion. If this is the case, a simple "starter button", wired from the battery pos.(+) term.,to the button, to the trigger term., on the starter will solve the problem. Remember that ALL the battery conections must be clean and tight, including the ground conections at both ends. and of course the pos. side at the starter. This also relates to any connections at the dash.. and any terminal blocks.. Hope this helps... Moneypitt

Moneypitt
07-01-2003, 10:14 PM
One more thing, if this is a fresh piece, all polished and painted, the paint may be preventing a good ground connection on the block..

Cas
07-01-2003, 11:00 PM
tbig,
You've got to come to Tower Park on Aug 23/24! I'd love to have another Panther show up especially one with what you've got in front of it. We already have 3, possibly 4, showing up along with about 40 other boats. It's going to be a great time.
I know this might be dumb and I'm sure you've probably already checked it but, have you made sure you didn't cross the wires at the solenoid?
If it's stock wiring, there's probably a white wire, a red wire and an orange wire going from the terminal block to the starter. The white wire should be mounted to the terminal closest to the block. The orange wire with goes to the outside terminal and the red wire with the large connector goes to the center terminal.
What kind of numbers are you running with your set up?

Havasu Hangin'
07-02-2003, 05:45 AM
A Ford relay may solve the problem...it did on my boat.

Cas
07-02-2003, 06:39 AM
this diagram ought to help you.
http://www.liquidaddiction.net/Images2/ignitionandgage.jpg

Tahiti Owner
07-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Does it start on the trailer but not in the water? Mine used to be that way and I ended up attaching a heavy braided ground strap from the starter cover right to the block. I sanded away any paint from both points of attachment with a Dremel tool.