PDA

View Full Version : Why Jets?

El Prosecutor
03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
WHY DO YOU DRIVE A JET?
In late 2005 I had some extra cash in my pocket from a home refi and, knowing nothing about boats thought that “a boat” looked like fun for the family. Saw this pretty clean jet boat in the local paper, and it reminded me of great memories of waterskiing behind a jet at church camp in the ‘80s. Price was right, boat looked way cooler than the Bayliners in the price range, the Little Red-Headed Girl was willing to go along with it, and voila! Jet boat! Since then I have rebuilt the jet due to cata$$trophic thrust bearing failure, been stranded on Ming 3 times (once with a rope up the pipe, twice with what I now think was a coil problem) spent hours in the garage and on the internet trying to figure the whole thing out, vaccumed gallons of oil out of the bilge, etc, etc. and LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT ALL!! Judging from the time you guys all spend on this board I think you love your jet boats too. What is it for you guys? “Cool” factor, safety, nostalgia, sound of headers, V8 vibe, inherited equipment, community, what’s the deal? Explain your addiction.

wright27
03-07-2006, 09:29 AM
I like the way they drive. I like the way the ass end is loose. I like the saftey of the jet over a prop. I like the fact that all jet boats are not fast. It is kinda like a challenge to get the speed, little tricks of the trade, if you will (which I still have alot to learn). Buy a flatty go 80 no big deal. Plus I have hit sandbars or shall I say rockbars, much less damage in a jet than a prop.

GunninGopher
03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
My reasons:
- It was all that anyone had while I was growing up
- If I can't see it, I won't hit it
- Safe with no prop waiting to cut someone up. (My kid banged his head on my last outboard's prop).
- There isn't any maintenence in the drive if you just lube it once and a while and are smart about caring for it
- Will take as much power as you can throw at it
- If it isn't working, I can probably fix it
I've had a pontoon and used my in-laws outboard often. The only advantage to an outboard in my opinion is the extra room in the boat, other than that I hate them.
As far as outdrives go, the only advantage to them is that they are more effecient, but I'm not a big speed guy anyways, so I don't care about that.

Aluminum Squirt
03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
I like driving in 3" of water and boating where nobody else will go. It's also kind of cool to have a roll cage (a real cage.....not a speaker support system)and seat belts in my boat. I've got a very nice prop boat for the family. It's got a 496HO in it and will go almost 70. I paid six times what I paid for my jet boat, and you know what, I don't care about it. I have no passion for it, I don't work on it, and its just kind of there. Now my piece of crap jet boat, I think about that thing all the time, work on it when I can, and save money for parts when I can't. That's what jetboating is all about-Aluminum Squirt

wright27
03-07-2006, 09:45 AM
I like driving in 3" of water and boating where nobody else will go. It's also kind of cool to have a roll cage (a real cage.....not a speaker support system)and seat belts in my boat. I've got a very nice prop boat for the family. It's got a 496HO in it and will go almost 70. I paid six times what I paid for my jet boat, and you know what, I don't care about it. I have no passion for it, I don't work on it, and its just kind of there. Now my piece of crap jet boat, I think about that thing all the time, work on it when I can, and save money for parts when I can't. That's what jetboating is all about-Aluminum Squirt
Same here had a $50,000 boat that sat in the garage. The wife and kids all prefered to take the $2500 jet boat out. So I sold the other boat and now am building another jet. The whole family has took part in the boat build.

QuickJet
03-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I bought my jet because it was the cleanest boat I could find for $8,500. A V-drive was out of my range money wise. I loved the rooster tail, the acceleration (82mph), the ride, the seating and two 10 gallon tanks. Since then I've sold the jet and bought a V-Drive due to better finances and a quest for more speed, however I still appreciate the jets.

LAFD
03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
i like the safety factor not having to worry about anyone getting propped or kickin a prop or anything like that. also love the handling very easy to operate. very little to go wrong almost anyone can fix a jet. not a whole lot to um.

cyclone
03-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Driving my jet boat is like driving a '69 Camaro Convertible on a gravel road with a 396 big block and a Muncie four speed. It's squirrely and a lot of fun.
I may a bit obssesive compulsive about working on it. I'm constantly tearing it apart and re-rigging things just to make the boat look different, cleaner, better, more user friendly etc. In fact its tore down to the bare hull right now and I'm enjoying every minute of working on it again. :)

BigBlockBaja
03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I like them cuase the suck and blow at the same time. Very important. :crossx:

centerhill condor
03-07-2006, 10:08 AM
simplicity... as complicated as a roll of toilet paper... lightweight... the rooster tail... and it is different... only one other in the whole marina!
and I've always wanted one. when I was younger my Dad and I test drove a real jet boat (ot headers etc) and I was hooked... we had a 18' execucraft big sturdy boat with tall sides and 120 hp merc i/o.. great boat but not as sexy as a jet!
you're right, when I come on here there's usually more just jet guys than others although cats/tunnells are a close second.
we probably got some phallic sigmund freud stuff going on here that we will never understand because it is subconcious...oh, well... at least I have the boat!

Jeanyus
03-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Becase this gives you forward and REVERSE, left and right, and trims your boat, up or down.
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/150-B-07.JPG
Look at all the hardware you have on any other type of drive, to get the same features.
Some boats have a lot of complicated hardware, cables and pullys :rolleyes: rods and plates, and after all that they don't have reverse.
Where the river has a swift current, or when the wind starts blowing hard, try geting your boat on the trailer without reverse, lots of people won't go out when the wind blows or the water gets a little choppy , thus the term Trailer Queen.

El Prosecutor
03-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Driving my jet boat is like driving a '69 Camaro Convertible on a gravel road with a 396 big block and a Muncie four speed. It's squirrely and a lot of fun.
:)
Loved that :)

QuickJet
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I sure as hell hope that you would never drive a '69 Camaro convertable with a 396 (SS car) and a 4 speed anywhere near a gravel road. I see your point but damn that made me cringe. :cry: :)

dmontzsta
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Not to start an argument, but the "safety" of a jet over a prop is a pretty lame case.
carry on...

El Prosecutor
03-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Not to start an argument, but the "safety" of a jet over a prop is a pretty lame case....
Yeah but it is a good reason to tell your wife that you need a cool jet boat instead of that Blahliner. "It's for the kids' safety honey!!" :cool: :D

BigBlockBaja
03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah but it is a good reason to tell your wife that you need a cool jet boat instead of that Blahliner. "It's for the kids' safety honey!!" :cool: :D
If someones wife believes that, I have a bridge to sell them.
:crossx: :crossx:

HammerDown
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Love my 21 Daytona...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1064DSC00046-med.jpg
just wish Jets in general were a little more efficient.

n8dawg
03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I bought my boat a few years after selling a '68 Camaro I had. That got me into so much trouble with the law that it landed me in county for 30 days. Alot of street racing going on when I lived in Santa Barbara back in the day. (before all the import stuff came along and ruined it for everybody...still bitter :mad: ) Anyways, I saw this boat in the local trade express and noticed that after about a month or so it was still for sale. I just came off of a 8 month project and had a little bit of $$$ in my pocket, my girlfriend told me to take a look at it...so I did. It didn't look pretty, but at the same time I was looking for a project to work on again. After talking it over with the gf we both went over to look at it. It started right up, sounded good. A little weary of the 455 Olds and jacuzzi jet. But for the price I paid I couldn't beat it. I also thought it was going to be a total nightmare project, thought the engine wouldn't last and I would be building a chevy for in no time. Well long story short... I paid 2,200 bucks for this boat. We cleaned it up, checked out the motor and ran it hard for one season before redoing the upholstry, new floor, new seat frames, new carpet, and glassed back in the gas tanks. Now the boat looks 10 times bettter than it did, rides real nice, and after carfully tuning the motor I'm running 65mph (without a diverter.) I'm totaly in love with this thing. I walk out into my garage at least ounce a day just to stare at it. Now it's become an investment for us.
You know how with fast cars you don't want to tell anybody what you have ( ahh ya just a stock 350, right?) well I thought that boats were going to be that way too. Untill we pulled into the cove at Big River and we saw some sweet looking boats, some that I recognized from here on the forums. And they wave us over to shoot the shit and meet everyone. No one's affraid to tell you what they have or what they did to get that horse power. And now you talk to fellow boaters on the forums and see how tight everybody is and willing to help eachother out. Thats what draws me in and keeps me going.
Alrighty folks thats my .02 and now I have to pack my stuff up cause we're going to Jackson Hole, Wy. for 5 days of pure powder snowboarding. See ya fockers!!!! :p :p :p
Oh yeah did I say long story short? Oh well enjoy! :crossx:

Avenger 1975
03-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Its the "think about it" factor that makes the jet different for me. I'm new to this but I find myself thinking about what I'm going to do with the boat next, I have a few clips I can play to hear and see the boat run during the winter, its a great escape from the daily routine. I can't wait to get on the water, much more so than on other boats I have owned.

Jeanyus
03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Not to start an argument, but the "safety" of a jet over a prop is a pretty lame case.
carry on...
Almost as lame as the argument that, v drive gets better fuel economy. Yea right big blocks are easy on the fuel :rolleyes:
http://www.savethemanatee.org/manatee&prop.jpg

Rooster
03-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Why Drive a Jet???
Why Not?
I got into jets because you sit in them, not on them.
You get feed-back when you turn.
Almost anyone can afford to buy a 70's jet to start. I bought a 79 southwind for 3k as my first boat, and it is still my favorite of all time!!!
They look sick for the money!
They are simple to work-on, pump, and engine... No injection, complicated ignition, etc.
Plus they make alot of noise!!!!

1978 Rogers
03-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Because they look cool. Pump & engine are very simple. The sound it makes on the water. Getting the thumbs up from people while I tow it down the street. It won't depreciate anymore. Its still worth what I paid for it 4 years ago. Line up a bunch of Bayliners on the beach and line up a bunch of old school jets and tell me which one looks cooler.

Squirtcha?
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
carry on...
I'd agree with ya, but I've seen a serious prop injury first hand. Little girl with a 3" gash on her thigh and plenty deep.
It got her a trip to the emergency room.
Granted it was an outboard, but still a prop with blood on it.

Red Horse
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
What really defines a "Hot boat"? Big Block and a rooster tail. Gotta have a jet for that.
Jets are a grassroots type of thing. I think everyone should own at least one jet as a rite of passage.
IF you watch others at the lake on shore or all rafted up when a big block is heard and a rooster tail shoots up EVERYONE watches. Now why is that?? :cool:

Sleek-Jet
03-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Because chicks dig jet-boats... :D
Ever notice how all the pictures of the v-drive functions look like a sausage fest??? Why??? Because all the girls are out riding around in the jet-boats while the "men" are back in the parking lot polishing their trailer queens. :crossx: :D :D :D

SmokinLowriderSS
03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Dad got into boating with an I/O Sea-Ray back about '72 when my sis & I were 1 & 5 respectively (tall sides to keep dumb kids from jumping/fallng overboard), 302 ford, Merc 888 drive, about 50 flat out. Nice solid boat.
Somewhere about 77 or so, he got a ride in Oklahoma at the lake with some guy named Zerk with a red/white/blue OT headered jetboat. I got in a ride once and didn't care for the noise, heck, I was 10 yrs old. Dad was hooked on the power, acceleration, turning responsiveness, he really had a blast. At a boat show in OK City early next spring I think, he saw this Taylor SS in her Red Jewel Flake top/bottom with Silver Jewel Flake seam band and Silver Pearl with Red accents interior and fell in love with the look. She still had sorta high sides so you felot like you were IN the boat, not atop it, the covered engine was quieter and doubled as a suntan deck, the drive cover/swim step helped getting in and didn't look as trashy as the ladders in the day. She seated 5 and dad chose the highest HP rated engine available at the time, Indmar 330HP 454 (the 460 rated 320HP). Didn't hurt dad prefered Chevys anyhow.
I always loved driving it, still do. The responsive steering, the controlability when docking/trailering even in less then perfect conditions. She's outrun a lot of boats in her day, mostly jets & wackers. Just firing her up at the ramp makes a day better, listening to that big block thump away is better than Prozac to make a happy mood. People's heads turn everywhere we go. We'll back down a ramp next to someone, I get in to fire her up, the usual social niceties are said (Hello, nice boat, Thx yours too), she gets LOTS of compliments on the orriginal color scheme. Then the Chevy roars to life, thumping strongly, with an attitude, hidden under her hood and more heads turn, questions of "What motor?" draw surprised comments and "wow!"s when I say "454 Chevy" (like they expect "aw, just a 350 man". :p (too many folks getting used to that lil v-6 :p )
Ya know, there is a whole generation of kids out there who think a 3-litre engine with oh, 250+HP and maybe 200 pounds of torque is a monster-powerful thing. :cry: So many have no idea what a Big Block (any brand) is. Engines of 7 Litres and go up from there, horsepowers and torque figures that just get started warming up at 400, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, the finer things in life.
I may one day own another boat as The Admiral wants a pontoon just to hang out & party on but Lowrider is gonna be passed down to a kid somewhere along the line, if they want it badly enough to wait 30 years. :cool:
Someday I want to build a longer (21 to 23') tunnel or hydro "family lake boat", seating for 5 or so in front of the blown big Chevy, 100mph-club, here I come. :idea: No budget currently. :cry: :cry:

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
The 1 reason that comes to mind is MONEY. When it comes to preformance boats a Jet drive is by far the cheapest to buy and run. Really show me any drive out there that can take alot of hp and not blow up. Another big factor is space... Most smaller jet boats can have a back seat, how many 16- 18 ft vdrives do you see that have a back seat? jet boats in general are more "family friendly", which at the end of the day is all that really matters.

Konabud
03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Definetly the cool and nostalgia factor for me along with the freedom that comes with boating in general. I had just decided to sell my ultimate dream salt water fishing boat because the state and Fed had regulated fishing to death and was looking for my next boating fix. I saw this boat on Ebay that just screamed BUY ME!!! So not knowing anything about jet boats I did. Luckily it was a local boat that I could look at and I was hooked. What else can you own that looks like an old vet, goes pretty damn fast, wont get you a ticket and wont break the bank? Plus I can take 5 or 6 other people with me to share the experience!!! How cool is that!:D :D :D

dmontzsta
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
I'd agree with ya, but I've seen a serious prop injury first hand. Little girl with a 3" gash on her thigh and plenty deep.
It got her a trip to the emergency room.
Granted it was an outboard, but still a prop with blood on it.
But how stupid can you be? the boat has to be in gear and moving at about 5-10mph. Are you going to let your kids hang off the back of the boat? and not just off the back but under it a good bit. They would bang up against the rudder before they touched the prop. I just dont understand it, maybe if your kids are out of control and you are drunk and stupid. I can really see it with an I/O but a V-Drive is pretty difficult.

dmontzsta
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Because chicks dig jet-boats... :D
Ever notice how all the pictures of the v-drive functions look like a sausage fest??? Why??? Because all the girls are out riding around in the jet-boats while the "men" are back in the parking lot polishing their trailer queens. :crossx: :D :D :D
You dont get out there much do you?

beerjet
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
All I can remember as a kid growing up was me and my dad going out early as all hell and wait for the sun to come up so we could get on the lake. We would get out there beach it and always had a blast cruisin around in dads whacker. As it turns out my father was running with some less than stand-up guys and his buddies occasionally dropped off some real cool toys and one of them was an 18' jet boat with ot pipes ,polished aluminum heads , polished tunnel ram , dual carbs . It was bad ass to say the least. Got that thing out on the lake and I could not hold onto the front seat (I was in the back seat) tight enough. I think my dad forgot my 8 year old ass was back there cuz he was not letting off at all. Even though at that moment I was fearing for my life, the feeling I got from that 460 screaming inches away from me was something that has completly consumed me till now. I love the boat that I have now and could never in a million years think about getting rid of it. No matter how big a piece of shit it is . For some reason I can not bring myself to even think about letting it go. For the past two years all of my weekends and time off revolve around it . From wrenching on it (which I do 95% of the time)to just standing around it looking at it. Geeeezzzzuuuussssss. sorry bout that.
-beerjet-

1968Droptop
03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Old school metal flakes so big you could throw them at someone, LOUD, OT exhaust (is there anything cooler looking?), BIG block engines, rooster tail from hell, tunnel rams, and when you look at it it just plain looks fast as chit (even if it's not) !

Squirtcha?
03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
But how stupid can you be? the boat has to be in gear and moving at about 5-10mph. Are you going to let your kids hang off the back of the boat? and not just off the back but under it a good bit. They would bang up against the rudder before they touched the prop. I just dont understand it, maybe if your kids are out of control and you are drunk and stupid. I can really see it with an I/O but a V-Drive is pretty difficult.
You're taking a lot for granted so I think I know who the stupid one is.
First it wasn't my boat, or my kid. I just witnessed the aftermath.
Secondly the prop boat was parked with the motor tilted up and not running.
The little girl was jumping off the back (while her parents were unloading) and landed on the prop on the way down.
Nice try though.

Squirtcha?
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
You dont get out there much do you?
Like that only happens to v-drivers? Dream on slick

Captain Assin' Off
03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Is that what's in my garage??? :skull:

dmontzsta
03-07-2006, 07:54 PM
You're taking a lot for granted so I think I know who the stupid one is.
First it wasn't my boat, or my kid. I just witnessed the aftermath.
Secondly the prop boat was parked with the motor tilted up and not running.
The little girl was jumping off the back (while her parents were unloading) and landed on the prop on the way down.
Nice try though.
So you are talking I/O not V-Drives correct?

dmontzsta
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Like that only happens to v-drivers? Dream on slick
I should hope not. I have been to both outings and let me tell you, there are not alot of chicks at either of them. Maybe back in the 70s/80s there was, but now it is mostly wifes, fiances or significant others, or young high school girls which are kids of the owners. All the chicks are in to the yuppie boats and havasu.

MBlaster
03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
WHY DO YOU DRIVE A JET?
So I can hang out in Just Jets, :p
any sane person would get a v-drive.

beerjet
03-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I should hope not. I have been to both outings and let me tell you, there are not alot of chicks at either of them. Maybe back in the 70s/80s there was, but now it is mostly wifes, fiances or significant others, or young high school girls which are kids of the owners. All the chicks are in to the yuppie boats and havasu.
I would cautious about putting my penis anywhere near the broads on those rainbow bright tuna boats. Even they couldnt tell you what's been in 'em earlier.

MikeF
03-07-2006, 08:31 PM
The fact remains that there is a very sharp propeller under there and a jet pump impeller is not gonna cut anyone unless you stick a body part up in there.

bp
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
in '76, i had a boat with a 50hp outboard that i towed my kids with. long story short, when shasta was down and crowded, it didn't take long to realize that if they went down, this slow turnin' thing would take all day to get back to them, which would not do. what would be the quickest thing to get back to 'em? sold it that winter, and the next year i had my first jet. ran that thing hard for 20 years, one major rebuild, sold it in '96 and bought what i have now. i'll take quick, and nothin' against the other stuff and the guys that like 'em, but i'll never have anything but a jet (or two). also, workin' in a power plant for 35 years, i have a thing for pumps too.

Sleek-Jet
03-08-2006, 07:08 AM
I should hope not. I have been to both outings and let me tell you, there are not alot of chicks at either of them.
Hell, I was giving the v-drivers the benefit of the doubt... it's worse than I thought then. :D :) :D
I say we call the next v-drive get together... Broke Back River. :crossx: :D
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11825&stc=1
Like I said, chicks dig jet boats. :D :D :D

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Hell, I was giving the v-drivers the benefit of the doubt... it's worse than I thought then. :D :) :D
I say we call the next v-drive get together... Broke Back River. :crossx: :D
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11825&stc=1
Like I said, chicks dig jet boats. :D :D :D
Chicks dig money, that is why they go around the big yuppie boats. BTW: Most chicks dont even know how a jetboat or a v-drive work.

Cs19
03-08-2006, 07:41 AM
dmontzta, this thread would have been just fine with out you.
now that your here, tell me, have YOU ever been in a fast jetboat? If so, whos was it? how fast? and where was this? Your obviously a jetboat hater and I want to know why..

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 07:52 AM
now that your here, tell me, have YOU ever been in a fast jetboat? If so, whos was it? how fast? and where was this? Your obviously a jetboat hater and I want to know why..
Thats fine, I can say that about some of your threads as well.
There are not too many fast ones; you, cyclone, hbjet, I have never rode in. If you consider going 75mph fast? then I have been in some fast jet boats, but never pegged 100mph in one, cause those are pretty rare.
Calling me a jet boat hater is pretty damn funny to me. You obviously do not know me, cause I have hung out and helped a shit load of jet boaters and never talked trash to them.
If you want to call me a hater for saying it is stupid to call prop boats unsafe, then go ahead. I am just doing a little defeding. But please find out who you are calling a hater before you use the word.

Devilman
03-08-2006, 07:54 AM
:D :D :D LOL

El Prosecutor
03-08-2006, 07:57 AM
. . .Most chicks dont even know how a jetboat or a v-drive work.
That reminded me of the movie "The Great Outdoors" where John Candy rents a really cool "Jet Boat" with a big engine and OT headers to take his kids skiing. At one point he inadvertently drives the "Jet Boat" up on the dock, where the prop is then seen spinning away under the boat in all its food processing glory. :cool:
Anyway, I think I got a little off topic. . . many great stories in the thread about why you chose a jet or ended up in a jet. Lowrider's story is very cool - what an inheritance! Any others out there?

sofa king smooth
03-08-2006, 08:02 AM
My wife sure as hell knows how a jet boat works. If you happen to pull up next to her on the river this summer I hope you have alot of go peddal or you will be getting your ass handed to you, even in your family v drive. :)
Jets and v-drives love them both.

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 08:10 AM
That reminded me of the movie "The Great Outdoors" where John Candy rents a really cool "Jet Boat" with a big engine and OT headers to take his kids skiing. At one point he inadvertently drives the "Jet Boat" up on the dock, where the prop is then seen spinning away under the boat in all its food processing glory. :cool:
Anyway, I think I got a little off topic. . . many great stories in the thread about why you chose a jet or ended up in a jet. Lowrider's story is very cool - what an inheritance! Any others out there?
That is a great movie, you just reminded me, I need to buy it. :)

Cs19
03-08-2006, 08:15 AM
dmonsta,a 100 mph jet is way more common than you think.

lilrick
03-08-2006, 08:16 AM
I would have to say the best part of my jet is the cost factor .. I'm out there racin' roundy rounds for a fraction of the price of a v-drive! Sure v-driives turn better and are faster, but the fun factor is the same for me!

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 08:18 AM
dmonsta,a 100 mph jet is way more common than you think.
I forgot, everyones boat is 100mph.
:rollside:
In all seriousness, I have not been to any other jet event other than CBBB, I have only seen a couple there.

NautiTwins
03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
No longer a jet boat owner, but I can tell you why I had one and what kept me coming back every summer.
The love of the water, sun, family and friends. The loud headers and quite nights around the camp sites. Floating down river with the best of friends talking and catching up on old times. Meeting new people every trip out! Playing horse shoes in the sand, while watching roosts going by in 3-4 feet of water. Knowing that I am not going to get swammped by bigger boats because they can not run where we did.
At the end of the day pulling the ski out and getting that last run in before the sun goes down. Watching the sunset with your wife as you float back to camp. Helping others in need and not expecting repayment, just that they might help you if something were wrong.
Blowing a reverse cable on your first trip out to the river and having a guy give you one that he just happened to have in his garage.
Firing up the BBQ and throwing on some Tri-trips.
These are some of the reasons I boat. V-drive, jet, outboard or I/O does not matter, just as long as you are out on the water with good friends.

Jeanyus
03-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Thats fine, I can say that about some of your threads as well.
There are not too many fast ones; you, cyclone, hbjet, I have never rode in. If you consider going 75mph fast? then I have been in some fast jet boats, but never pegged 100mph in one, cause those are pretty rare.
Calling me a jet boat hater is pretty damn funny to me. You obviously do not know me, cause I have hung out and helped a shit load of jet boaters and never talked trash to them.
If you want to call me a hater for saying it is stupid to call prop boats unsafe, then go ahead. I am just doing a little defeding. But please find out who you are calling a hater before you use the word.
Have you read your signature lines lately?

Sleek-Jet
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Most chicks dont even know how a jetboat or a v-drive work.
... and your point is???? :D :idea: :idea: :D
As long as she looks good sitting on the bow, I don't care if she can't speak english. :idea:

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Have you read your signature lines lately?
yeah, it is a joke from this weekend in Bakersfield.

LOWRIVER2
03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Purpose built for me:
Try running an I/O or even a Vdrive some days between Parker Bridge and Aha Quinn. Sure, it can be done but a lot easier with a jet.
Value: If you own a boat over 5-10 years, rebuild of a jet is much cheaper than an I/O, resale on older boats (21's) is always better on a jet vs. I/O in So Cal. And as for that comparison, most folks wanting a 21 ft.'er, boat in the shallow stuff and most 21 I/O guys are selling to get bigger I/O's for the lakes. Hence most used lake buyers want something bigger than a 21 these days.
Besides, who wants "Volvo" listed as a part on their boat?/LOL

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 01:58 PM
carry on...
Donald, has anyone ever told you that you are a lame case......... :crossx:

blender over
03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Shi* i loved my old blown bahner 18ft jet, loud fun and fast, a couple things i dont miss is the gas "gpm".
Whacker owner now :crossx: but jets are still cool :cool:

Wally_Gator
03-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Simplicity and compactness...
Jets ar simple and compact. Not to mention the prop factor.
Most prop accidents happen at the shore when someone accidentally kicks it or falls on it. Having three kids I feel more comfortable with my kids around the jet.
Don....
Consider this.. I have a very average Olds 455 and my boat has been gps'd at 71 mph. I consider my boat a slow one. All that coming from a 70 Rogers that originally cost me $600.00.
Most chicks may not know much about v-drive or prop.. But they do know when they are being beat up by a flatty.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
All chicks and other people notice the huge rooster:D

P-Money
03-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Because I couldn't find a 20.5 v-drive

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Donald, has anyone ever told you that you are a lame case......... :crossx:
Go pound 460s ass.
:220v:

Dogballs
03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
cause its fun to roost jet skis and you don't have to worry about shallow spots when you are all :220v:

1978 Rogers
03-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Has anyone mentioned you can beach one with having to worry about the drive being up/down or the prop & shafting hanging down on a V-drive. Just beach it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Go pound 460s ass.
THat would mean that he would be cheating on you :p

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Has anyone mentioned you can beach one with having to worry about the drive being up/down or the prop & shafting hanging down on a V-drive. Just beach it.
http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb04/cbbb040025.JPG
no problem, the prop in the sand keeps the boat from swinging around. :)
This can go on all day, the bottom line is a V-Drive is no less safe than the blast of a jet stream (I know it sounds dumb, but you know what I mean). I/Os are unsafe that is no denying.

1978 Rogers
03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
[IMG]
Good point. :rollside:
I don't mind going all day. Its better than doing work at work. :D

El Prosecutor
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
cause its fun to roost jet skis .... :220v:
All chicks and other people notice the huge rooster
Playing horse shoes in the sand, while watching roosts going by in 3-4 feet of water
. . . BIG block engines, rooster tail . . .
***Next year, - DIVERTER !!!!:wink:

Jeanyus
03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb04/cbbb040025.JPG
This can go on all day, the bottom line is a V-Drive is no less safe than the blast of a jet stream (I know it sounds dumb, but you know what I mean). I/Os are unsafe that is no denying.
If your going to leave the boat siting all day wouldent it be better to leave it on the trailer like the rest of the Queens?

TRG
03-08-2006, 04:04 PM
All you peop's are on restriction!...let don talk what he wants, hell he wont even get that b boat wet this year, if he would have wised up and ran with the chevy, he would have had the cash to have the entire project funded and completed by now! BTW don, i'll give you a run for your $ when you decide to get the b wet,... :crossx: in my slow, safe, jet boat!
Todd

Jbb
03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Cause Barney sez.....Chicks dig jetboats....

MAINEVENT
03-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Cause they suck :crossx: LOL

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 07:07 PM
All you peop's are on restriction!...let don talk what he wants, hell he wont even get that b boat wet this year, if he would have wised up and ran with the chevy, he would have had the cash to have the entire project funded and completed by now! BTW don, i'll give you a run for your $ when you decide to get the b wet,... :crossx: in my slow, safe, jet boat!
Todd
There is still a chance, I would rather spend the extra $$$ and do it right with a Ford! I could always throw carpet on the floor and call it a day, like you jetters. :) You run sounds fun, I will take you up on that. ;)

Devilman
03-08-2006, 07:22 PM
73 coats of wax later..... :rolleyes:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
73 coats of wax later..... :rolleyes:
Donald is a pro waxing man :D I bet he is waxing right now.. :) :)

BigBlockBaja
03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Damn, This popcorn is good.....
http://www.bounceopolis.com/images/rentals/popcorn.jpg

Devilman
03-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Donald is a pro waxing man :D I bet he is waxing right now.. :) :)
He's a trip, no doubt...:D I do agree with him though, about the safety thing. I/O yeah, you got a possible hazard, but with a V-drive? I'd think a person would damn near have to be under the boat to worry about that. I'd be more worried about busting my shins on those plates than worry about a prop....
Wonder what he means with the floor comment regarding jet boat owners. V-drives don't ever need their floors replaced? :cool:

dmontzsta
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
He's a trip, no doubt...:D I do agree with him though, about the safety thing. I/O yeah, you got a possible hazard, but with a V-drive? I'd think a person would damn near have to be under the boat to worry about that. I'd be more worried about busting my shins on those plates than worry about a prop....
Wonder what he means with the floor comment regarding jet boat owners. V-drives don't ever need their floors replaced? :cool:
Thanks, atleast you see my point. If everyone would go back to my beginning posts I never bashed any jets. It is when I was approached that I chipped some jabs back. My original point in this thread was "safety". I see this pop up occasionally and it makes me think of how uneducated the person spitting it out is. It also puts out this misconception that v-drives are great whites and will hurt you or something. I think the force of the water coming out of a pump is dangerous too. The chances of being hit with it is slim, like the chances of someone being underneath a v-drive.
In regards to the floor comment. Jetboats usually have carpet thrown in there, with some ugly floors underneath. V-Drives usually have nicely coated floors with the natural wood shining through. That way you can notice any trouble spots before they happen. If you have carpet, you cannot really see whats happening with the floor.

MikeF
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
And besides, w/ all that water and oil sloshing around in the bottom of that vdrive boat, You'll ruin a good carpet in no time. :skull:

Cs19
03-08-2006, 08:24 PM
dmonnsta,your mistaken.
Show up to the power tour and you will see for yourself providing you know what your looking at. A 100 mph jet is a standard deal now.There will be quite a few river jets that can turn 8.50s or better at the races prowling up and down the river this season.
Come see for yourself at the power tour.

canuck1
03-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I would have to say the best part of my jet is the cost factor .. I'm out there racin' roundy rounds for a fraction of the price of a v-drive! Sure v-driives turn better and are faster, but the fun factor is the same for me!
Turn better???????? Not in this life time.....

Aluminum Squirt
03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Ya....what Canuck1 said. I think I understand your genaralization, Lilrick, with the turning statement, but my boat is made to turn......ever see those sprint racers? (I know, I know, me, Canuck1, and maybe 1% of all the boaters on the planet run sprint boats, but don't forget us :boxed: ) And while I'm on the aluminum boat bandwagon, I'll take my floor in bare aluminum, no carpet or wood, thx-Aluminum Squirt

DEL51
03-08-2006, 11:29 PM
when you have a "slow jet" and constantly out acccelerate the other guys it feels good. Drive repair and maintenance is simple.Safety.FUN. That said, I do respect V-Drives, Outoards,I/O systems. I personally like to make changes and tweek power. Jets are great in this aspect. I would like to own other types and play the game but one at a time. This stuff is fun. Check out Posts by Unchained. He is a jet guy that recently purchased a v-drive. I am sure he will enjoy trying different hardware. You can have turn key and go, or 1/4 dragster, follow your desire.Freedom is Great.

LVjetboy
03-09-2006, 03:00 AM
My original point in this thread was "safety". I see this pop up occasionally and it makes me think of how uneducated the person spitting it out is. It also puts out this misconception that v-drives are great whites and will hurt you or something.
Unless you're a dolphin or riding in a jet boat when the v-drive rolls over you? Then maybe you'd think twice. :yuk:
But I tend to agree dmontzsta. One thing I can say, prop safety was not my concern when I chose a jet, and still isn't. And I'd agree an O/B or I/O is more a safety problem than a v-drive prop. My wife cut her leg on our I/O prop last summer. Mored, engine off. But I think most choose drive type for reasons other than safety, later a few mention safety to justify drive choice.
That said I DO value relaxing lake outings with a high performance boat. As in not worrying about damaging a prop or drive on a submerged rock...stranded. And where I boat, sometimes at night, it's really bad to be stranded.
I can tell you first-hand, even with a depth gage, a prop is a constant worry I've never had with a jet. I've scratched my jet hull on a rock at night (idle speed) Would've standed me if I'd had a v-drive or run the i/o that night.
Do you want a true all-purpose lake boat or a limited-purpose trailer queen you worry about pulling into every cove and put on the trailer before dark?
CS-19's right...and I'm sure he doesn't consider 75 mph fast. I'm not saying 100 mph jets are standard but not so rare these days either. Just as 100 mph v-drives are not as "common" as some claim. V-drivers are a shy bunch when it comes to talking numbers, but over the years I've collected a lot of v-drive numbers well under 100, just ask me I'll gladly quote my sources.
The point is, if you've only experienced a 75 mph jet, then you have less credibility comparing a truly fast jet to a fast v-drive. Just as someone running a 65 mph 19' charger w/a mild 429 then trades for an 18' v-drive flat with a lot more power can't objectively compare the two based on drive.
jer

dmontzsta
03-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Unless you're a dolphin or riding in a jet boat when the v-drive rolls over you? Then maybe you'd think twice. :yuk:
But I tend to agree dmontzsta. One thing I can say, prop safety was not my concern when I chose a jet, and still isn't. And I'd agree an O/B or I/O is more a safety problem than a v-drive prop. My wife cut her leg on our I/O prop last summer. Mored, engine off. But I think most choose drive type for reasons other than safety, later a few mention safety to justify drive choice.
That said I DO value relaxing lake outings with a high performance boat. As in not worrying about damaging a prop or drive on a submerged rock...stranded. And where I boat, sometimes at night, it's really bad to be stranded.
I can tell you first-hand, even with a depth gage, a prop is a constant worry I've never had with a jet. I've scratched my jet hull on a rock at night (idle speed) Would've standed me if I'd had a v-drive or run the i/o that night.
Do you want a true all-purpose lake boat or a limited-purpose trailer queen you worry about pulling into every cove and put on the trailer before dark?
CS-19's right...and I'm sure he doesn't consider 75 mph fast. I'm not saying 100 mph jets mostly common but not so rare these days either. Just as 100 mph v-drives are not as "common" as some claim. V-drivers are a shy bunch when it comes to talking numbers, but over the years I've collected a lot of v-drive numbers well under 100, just ask me I'll gladly quote my sources.
The point is, if you've only experienced a 75 mph jet, then you have less credibility comparing a truly fast jet to a fast v-drive. Just as someone running a 65 mph 19' charger w/a mild 429 then trades for an 18' v-drive flat with a lot more power can't objectively compare the two based on drive.
jer
Look what the cat drug in. :)
This is one post I will not argue with. Jer, I think it is one of your finer posts. :)

Cs19
03-09-2006, 08:10 AM
dmonsta must not be feeling well today, he didnt argue it.

El Prosecutor
03-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Look what the cat drug in. :)
This is one post I will not argue with. Jer, I think it is one of your finer posts. :)
Nice Kitty.
Jer - good to see you posting and thanks again for the help back in Jan.

LVjetboy
03-10-2006, 04:33 AM
You're welcome.
As for "why jets?" Online I think the real deal gets lost in v-drive ego: Jets labeled slow and v-drives fast so, "which one do you have the balls to drive?"
Yet a jet can be fast. But you have to invest the time, effort and money to make up an average of 10-15 mph performance hit for the same power. I'm talking in very general terms here to make a point. Don't get me wrong, v-drives are hotrods just like jets, and I love all hotrods.
So here's an interesting test for "why a jet:" How much money does it take to make a jet perform the same as a v-drive in the 100 mph range...with similar hulls and loaded weight?
Then the follow-up. If you had to spend say, 15-20% more on a jet to get the same performance, would you? A 19' tunnel jet w/lake layup can run 100 mph with 650 hp on 89 octane dock gas and no blower. A comparable v-drive may run a bit faster, depends.
So say it takes $20,000 to get your 100 mph jet and only $17,000 to do it in a v-drive. For a savings of $3,000 you get a v-drive with no reverse, hard to manuever in that canyon cove, break out a paddle. If you add a transmission for reverse, you may cut performance and interior room. Even w/o transmission you need gears ahead of the engine...less interior room and potentially more maintenance.
For the savings you get a prop and turning fin under the hull, a worry in tight spots, or with changing reservoir and river levels.
For some it's all about maximum performance period. Burn rocket fuel and don't go back! For others, high performance is important, but so also things like "no worries just gas her at the dock" Or listening to music. Things that make being on the water a bit more relaxing and enjoyable. I think a jet can be the best of both worlds.
jer

1978 Rogers
03-10-2006, 09:00 AM
How about we start a Why V-Drives? It can even happen in here since not many post in the other forum.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 10:26 AM
How about we start a Why V-Drives? It can even happen in here since not many post in the other forum.
Alright.
1. I grew up in a V-Drive.
2. It takes less hp to get a V-Drive moving.
3. I like the idea of changing gears in the parking lot. You can switch to a hole shot gear or a top speed gear. They give you a bit more to play with as far as gear/prop combos.
4. There is nothing like the back of a flatty, just the look with the plates and turnbuckles is awesome.
5. I like being able to bury the plates and whip a quick turn.
6. Its awesome to get the boat up out of the water with hardly any hp, it doesnt take much to lift a flatty up and have just the prop in the water.
7. I am sure there are some things I am forgetting. The one I like is that you can dial one in to do this...
http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/SigsAndAvatars/FaulknerRecord.jpg

LVjetboy
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
dmontzsta, I gotta say that's ^^^ impressive for 650 hp, maybe not typical. I'm sure he's got it dialed and light weight. And at those speeds I'm not sure if my tunnel would be less drag than his flat. Also, I haven't changed my setup much since I ran 75 mph with 340 hp, so my plates, shoe and loader are not dialed for what I run now. Need a track to do that.
But I think most jetters will agree that on average, for similar boats, a v-drive runs about 10 mph faster with the same power...am I right?
That and as you go faster, jets hits the wall before a v-drive. But now we're talking speeds that most of us lake guys will never see...and don't really want to see. :eek:
jer

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
dmontzsta, I gotta say that's ^^^ impressive for 650 hp, maybe not typical. I'm sure he's got it dialed and light weight. And at those speeds I'm not sure if my tunnel would be less drag than his flat. Also, I haven't changed my setup much since I ran 75 mph with 340 hp, so my plates, shoe and loader are not dialed for what I run now. Need a track to do that.
But I think most jetters will agree that on average, for similar boats, a v-drive runs about 10 mph faster with the same power...am I right?
That and as you go faster, jets hits the wall before a v-drive. But now we're talking speeds that most of us lake guys will never see...and don't really want to see. :eek:
jer
Jer,
What has gotten in to you? I am agreeing with you lately. I think I am starting to like you. :)
As I am sure you know, the bottom of the boat has to be done right. Most SS boats run 110mph wide open with 625-650hp.
You got everything else right.
I have to get Rex to look at your posts, he will not believe it.

old rigger
03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
here's a few pictures I just found out inthe garage.
I think, and was always taught and showed this, hull for hull, running the same HP, a prop will always be faster than a jet. Maybe not as quick outa the hole, but always faster.
Here's a good example. These pictures are from the '88 or '89 Parker enduro. we were running the Banshee hull that normally we rigged as outboards or jets. The outbaords ran pretty good, the jets, with out a ton of horsepower, were slow and a very wet ride.
This I/O on the other hand was very fast out of the hole and ran hard on the top end. With a single carbed SBC, low manifold, nothing fancy inside (I have no idea how much HP the engine was making. If I knew back then I forgot it now. It couldn't have been over 400 though), even had power steering to boot!
It ran over 120, and set the Kilo record at 116 and change. The record still stands today after almost 20 years in the ETII class.
The same hull set up with the same engine running a jet could never approach that speed. That I/O really allowed the bottom to work as designed.
We raced the Mississippi race (1000 miles in 2 days) twice, one DNF and one first, set the Kilo and then raced the Parker race. Flipped and sunk in the first turn. lol
Jets, v-drives, I/O and outboards, doesn't matter to me really what I have in the driveway, I like them all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/advantage1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/advantage203-10-22.jpg

superdave013
03-10-2006, 02:26 PM
7. I am sure there are some things I am forgetting. The one I like is that you can dial one in to do this...
Hey dmontzsta, I bet YOU can't even get close to doing what Gordy and the Faulkners do with that boat. lol You are tossing up the best of the best and making it sound easy. You need to hit the race track with your own horse on your own dime and find out just how hard it is.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey dmontzsta, I bet YOU can't even get close to doing what Gordy and the Faulkners do with that boat. lol You are tossing up the best of the best and making it sound easy. You need to hit the race track with your own horse on your own dime and find out just how hard it is.
yeah. My point is that is what a v-drive is capable of.

LVjetboy
03-10-2006, 02:28 PM
dmontzsta, I've posted my thoughts on v-drive/jet speed before...as well as power vs. speed for more typical lake v-drives. So let's not get too cozy. You guys still blow :)
Almost forgot. V-drive plates and turnbuckles are cool, but we jetters got them too...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/RearView.jpg
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/TrimPlate.jpg
jer

superdave013
03-10-2006, 02:33 PM
yeah, no shit. My point is that is what a v-drive is capable of.
go to lake ming this weekend and you will see what jets are capable of. there is some very impressive jet boats out there too. when someone like Jerry Hicks gets up there it's like Holy $hit that's bad a$$.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 02:36 PM
go to lake ming this weekend and you will see what jets are capable of. there is some very impressive jet boats out there too. when someone like Jerry Hicks gets up there it's like Holy $hit that's bad a$$.
no doubt, I am not goint to make it this weekend, since I was just up there last weekend. My son has a soccer game and I have to go purchase a diamond. :yuk: Those are the trailer queen jets right?

1978 Rogers
03-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Jets, v-drives, I/O and outboards, doesn't matter to me really what I have in the driveway, I like them all.
The smartest man here. I got my jet from my buddy's father when he found I wanted to buy something low and fast on the water. At the time I new nothing of Rogers and that jets threw rooster tails.

Jeanyus
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Alright.
1. I grew up in a V-Drive.
2. It takes less hp to get a V-Drive moving.
3. I like the idea of changing gears in the parking lot. You can switch to a hole shot gear or a top speed gear. They give you a bit more to play with as far as gear/prop combos.
4. There is nothing like the back of a flatty, just the look with the plates and turnbuckles is awesome.
5. I like being able to bury the plates and whip a quick turn.
6. Its awesome to get the boat up out of the water with hardly any hp, it doesnt take much to lift a flatty up and have just the prop in the water.
Wow that boat is fast!
I have a couple questions for you.
How fast was your old v-drive ? The one you sold.
How fast is the boat you have now?
You must have some fast boats, since you are always talking about fast boats.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Wow that boat is fast!
I have a couple questions for you.
How fast was your old v-drive ? The one you sold.
How fast is the boat you have now?
You must have some fast boats, since you are always talking about fast boats.
I dont know what the old boat ran. The only gps I did was a 72 or 74 all motor with the stock 390. I had made a cam swap, intake manifold, ignition and added OTs and a 175 shot of n20, so I dont really know what it ran after that. It was a porpoising machine, which probably helped it.
No idea what the new one will run. I do know nelson (the previous owner) ran 94-96mph with a 610-620hp 466. I am completely changing the setup and will be running 625-675hp, so I hope to run 95-105mph. Once everything is adjusted and running.
Funny how you boys get so sensitive over your jets.
:crossx:

Jeanyus
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I dont know what the old boat ran. The only gps I did was a 72 or 74 all motor with the stock 390. I had made a cam swap, intake manifold, ignition and added OTs and a 175 shot of n20, so I dont really know what it ran after that. It was a porpoising machine, which probably helped it.
No idea what the new one will run. I do know nelson (the previous owner) ran 94-96mph with a 610-620hp 466. I am completely changing the setup and will be running 625-675hp, so I hope to run 95-105mph. Once everything is adjusted and running.
So basicly your boats are slow.
:crossx: Funny how you v-drive guys are so sensitive every time you get whipped by a jet. :)

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
So basicly your boats are slow.
:crossx: Funny how you v-drive guys are so sensitive every time you get whipped by a jet. :)
Go piss another kidney stone and sell it on ebay.
:crossx: :)

Jeanyus
03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Go piss another kidney stone and sell it on ebay.
:crossx: :)
:) ouch :cry: :rollside:

SmokinLowriderSS
03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks, atleast you see my point. If everyone would go back to my beginning posts I never bashed any jets. It is when I was approached that I chipped some jabs back. My original point in this thread was "safety". I see this pop up occasionally and it makes me think of how uneducated the person spitting it out is. It also puts out this misconception that v-drives are great whites and will hurt you or something. I think the force of the water coming out of a pump is dangerous too. The chances of being hit with it is slim, like the chances of someone being underneath a v-drive.
In regards to the floor comment. Jetboats usually have carpet thrown in there, with some ugly floors underneath. V-Drives usually have nicely coated floors with the natural wood shining through. That way you can notice any trouble spots before they happen. If you have carpet, you cannot really see whats happening with the floor.
Then perhaps you should have qualified your "jets are no safer than props" comment by saying how equally difficult it is to get injured on a V-DRIVE instead of the deliberate vaugeness.
I do not run rivers arround here. There are pittifully few in the midwest that are even jet-navagable. I cannot recall the last time I saw a v-drive on a lake I frequented (from small ones such as 6,000 acre ElDorado to Grand Lake of the Cherokees or Texoma), unless you count the non-I/O houseboats & cruisers. The ONLY prop boats I ever see here in the midwest are either I/O's or O/B's, both of which hurt a lot of people every year. I would bet the I/O's have a distinct edge in cut-causing doe to having nothing over their top areas.
When it comes to accident injuries, a jet is FAR less dangerous to the people arround it than a PROP I/O or Outboard. A V-drive, I'm with you. I fail to see how anyone could get hurt swimming arround one that was not running. I would STILL not want anyone aqs close to the back of a running V-drive as I have allowed once to my jet.
I would never try the following story with a v-drive.
Summer '89. Discovered while skiing with friends that my battery was going south in a hurry. We salvaged the last 2 hrs skiing by simply never shutting down when changing skiiers till we trailered for fuel. I knew that if I shut down, even as fast as the engine started, there was a VERY good chance it would die before firing as slow as it spun. The swim step atop my drive even gave everyone easy footing and nobody could even slip on the bowl, steering mechanism, or the cavitation plate (Berk "F"). I have always since then kept myself out of that situation, but it was workable once.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Then perhaps you should have qualified your "jets are no safer than props" comment by saying how equally difficult it is to get injured on a V-DRIVE instead of the deliberate vaugeness.
I do not run rivers arround here. There are pittifully few in the midwest that are even jet-navagable. I cannot recall the last time I saw a v-drive on a lake I frequented (from small ones such as 6,000 acre ElDorado to Grand Lake of the Cherokees or Texoma), unless you count the non-I/O houseboats & cruisers. The ONLY prop boats I ever see here in the midwest are either I/O's or O/B's, both of which hurt a lot of people every year. I would bet the I/O's have a distinct edge in cut-causing doe to having nothing over their top areas.
When it comes to accident injuries, a jet is FAR less dangerous to the people arround it than a PROP I/O or Outboard. A V-drive, I'm with you. I fail to see how anyone could get hurt swimming arround one that was not running. I would STILL not want anyone aqs close to the back of a running V-drive as I have allowed once to my jet.
I would never try the following story with a v-drive.
Summer '89. Discovered while skiing with friends that my battery was going south in a hurry. We salvaged the last 2 hrs skiing by simply never shutting down when changing skiiers till we trailered for fuel. I knew that if I shut down, even as fast as the engine started, there was a VERY good chance it would die before firing as slow as it spun. The swim step atop my drive even gave everyone easy footing and nobody could even slip on the bowl, steering mechanism, or the cavitation plate (Berk "F"). I have always since then kept myself out of that situation, but it was workable once.
Thanks for understanding. :)

old rigger
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
When it comes to accident injuries, a jet is FAR less dangerous to the people arround it than a PROP I/O or Outboard.
I don't think so.
In all the years I've been going to the river, since 1961, I've seen far more boats, people and docks get hit by some dumbass not knowing how to drive a jet boat. I've never seen anyone get cut by a prop.

Cs19
03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I am completely changing the setup and will be running 625-675hp, so I hope to run 95-105mph. Once everything is adjusted and running.
We aernt being sensitive, its called frustration. Your clueless on the subject yet you talk like a guy thats been there done that..You just dont get it dude.
So lets say you get it to run 105. How do you think that is going to hold up when its time to race a 100 mph jetboat at the river?
Dont get your hopes up. 100 in a flat is different that 100 in a jet, totally different deal, but you knew that already, right?

Oldsquirt
03-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't think so.
In all the years I've been going to the river, since 1961, I've seen far more boats, people and docks get hit by some dumbass not knowing how to drive a jet boat. I've never seen anyone get cut by a prop.
Lots of dumb ass boaters out there OR. For 30 years I've been frequenting a particular lake here in NorCal that is used by all types of boaters. There is a small local paper that used to report all the on-water incidents and accidents as well as the Sheriffs's logs. Think it came out weekly. There was not a single issue that I read that didn't include at least one report of serious injury due to a prop. Ranged from lacerations to lost limbs to DOA. I have been fortunate enough to have never witnessed ANY boating related injury. Doesn't mean they didn't/don't happen

wsuwrhr
03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Welcome back LV.
Good to read you again, keep these types of posts coming.
Brian
You're welcome.
As for "why jets?" Online I think the real deal gets lost in v-drive ego: Jets labeled slow and v-drives fast so, "which one do you have the balls to drive?"
Yet a jet can be fast. But you have to invest the time, effort and money to make up an average of 10-15 mph performance hit for the same power. I'm talking in very general terms here to make a point. Don't get me wrong, v-drives are hotrods just like jets, and I love all hotrods.
So here's an interesting test for "why a jet:" How much money does it take to make a jet perform the same as a v-drive in the 100 mph range...with similar hulls and loaded weight?
Then the follow-up. If you had to spend say, 15-20% more on a jet to get the same performance, would you? A 19' tunnel jet w/lake layup can run 100 mph with 650 hp on 89 octane dock gas and no blower. A comparable v-drive may run a bit faster, depends.
So say it takes $20,000 to get your 100 mph jet and only $17,000 to do it in a v-drive. For a savings of $3,000 you get a v-drive with no reverse, hard to manuever in that canyon cove, break out a paddle. If you add a transmission for reverse, you may cut performance and interior room. Even w/o transmission you need gears ahead of the engine...less interior room and potentially more maintenance.
For the savings you get a prop and turning fin under the hull, a worry in tight spots, or with changing reservoir and river levels.
For some it's all about maximum performance period. Burn rocket fuel and don't go back! For others, high performance is important, but so also things like "no worries just gas her at the dock" Or listening to music. Things that make being on the water a bit more relaxing and enjoyable. I think a jet can be the best of both worlds.
jer

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
We aernt being sensitive, its called frustration. Your clueless on the subject yet you talk like a guy thats been there done that..You just dont get it dude.
So lets say you get it to run 105. How do you think that is going to hold up when its time to race a 100 mph jetboat at the river?
Dont get your hopes up. 100 in a flat is different that 100 in a jet, totally different deal, but you knew that already, right?
I have only heard of the insane acceleration produced by jets, never actually felt it. The jetboats I rode in where anything from 55mph-70mph and they did not pull hard. I know a runnberbottom showed up at a jet outing last year and layed down some wake on a few of the fast jets. 100mph in any boat is bitchen, but I am sure you out of EVERYONE know how much work it takes to get there, right? How will I hold up against a 100mph jet boat on the river? I will let you know when that day comes. I am not building a drag boat, if I was I would have bought a hydro or runnerbottom.
Back to the safety point, this thread has gotten a little crazy.
How unsafe are those rooster tails? I hear so much about lake lice being sprayed by them and how cool it is. So humans on lake lice have no feelings? What about the guy in the cruiser driving with his family, who just happens to be sprayed by one and loses his sight and crashes into another boat or the shore? I have been close to a fag who threw up his roost and I actually swerved left to avoid it, I did feel the mist, it could have been dangerous.

boater012
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
We were moored in the channel in havasu two years ago on memorial weekend (im pretty sure it was two years mighta been three). the lady next to us was an attorney and talking with us about how she had just opened her new practice in sand diego (I think) she had a new wakeboarding boat with a tower and it was a vdrive. It was a moomba or something! She started up the boat and had it in reverse before even looking over the transom! She ended up running over some passer by that was talking to her son and daughter behind the boat! They were standing there chatting it up when she started the boat!! I heard the boy yell to his mom that he wasnt in the boat yet but it was too late! she backed over her own kids and some innocent person. The guy was maybe two or three years older than her daughter and pushed the daughter out of the way and ended up getting his leg sliced from the hip to the ankle!! her son was a little sliced up from pulling the guy out from under the boat!!!
This happened right in the channel, two spaces from the patrol boat parking spot (who just happened to be watching when it happened) I dont know about you but ever since that day I wont even get behind a boat unless the keys to it are in MY pocket!!!! If I see someone untying there boat I get myself and my g/f the fawk away from them quick. Just a true tale of the damage possible when you mix ignorance and a propellor!!! :skull:

boater012
03-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Gqchris from the boards was standing right next to me when it happened he had just handed me a fresh cold one and we had just popped em open!! :crossx: at least something good came from it! :crossx:

old rigger
03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Lots of dumb ass boaters out there OR. For 30 years I've been frequenting a particular lake here in NorCal that is used by all types of boaters. There is a small local paper that used to report all the on-water incidents and accidents as well as the Sheriffs's logs. Think it came out weekly. There was not a single issue that I read that didn't include at least one report of serious injury due to a prop. Ranged from lacerations to lost limbs to DOA. I have been fortunate enough to have never witnessed ANY boating related injury. Doesn't mean they didn't/don't happen
I didn't say they didn't happen OS, I simply posted what I've seen. I'd put my trust in a flat owner any day rather than most jet owners.
And to be fair, most of the dumbass's I was refering to were on the water back in the 70's when 'the thing' to do was to own a jet boat. Most of them shouldn't have been on the water. lol
Hell, I've been hit by a boat and it was an outboard flatbottom AND my dad was driving it. (broken steering cable) But I still don't put much faith in most jet boat drivers today. They make me very nervious....just like being around PWCs.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I didn't say they didn't happen OS, I simply posted what I've seen. I'd put my trust in a flat owner any day rather than most jet owners.
And to be fair, most of the dumbass's I was refering to were on the water back in the 70's when 'the thing' to do was to own a jet boat. Most of them shouldn't have been on the water. lol
Hell, I've been hit by a boat and it was an outboard flatbottom AND my dad was driving it. But I still don't put much faith in most jet boat drivers today. They make me very nervious....just like being around PWCs.
You want to know what the REAL scary thing is? Most of the idiots that do not know how to drive buy the huge 26'-35' yuppie I/O boats and slam in to all kinds of neat stuff with no clue or care for who is around them. They buy them cause it is the cool "bling bling" thing to do. It makes me want to buy a jet boat and run places they dont dare venture in to.

boater012
03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
You want to know what the REAL scary thing is? Most of the idiots that do not know how to drive buy the huge 26'-35' yuppie I/O boats and slam in to all kinds of neat stuff with no clue or care for who is around them. They buy them cause it is the cool "bling bling" thing to do. It makes me want to buy a jet boat and run places they dont dare venture in to.
Now you know why I have a jet dmonsta!!!!!!! ive been driving boats since I was 6 years old and I still have some things to learn about driving a boat! But I agree with OLDRIGGER people who own boats almsot never have a clue as to how to run them safely! p.s. oldrigger I wasnt attacking simply saying what id seen!!!

LVjetboy
03-10-2006, 04:43 PM
OR, PWC's and SeaDoos make me nervous too. But when I talk about "Why Jets", I'm talking Real Jet Boats...not rentals. And ya, I'd trust a flat owner or jet owner over a renter with little experience. But anyone can make a mistake. We've read about that here. Boat long enough you see it all.
jer

bottom feeder
03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
First let me say Nice to you Jer,
Now for the reason I have a jet. Because it is what I like most!
I like the fact that you drive wide open most of the time. Just burp it to get the hull wet and right back to the floor. I enjoy working on the motor, pump and set up.
Dmon here is a old picture of my boat you wana ride? Great acceleration the only thing to turn harder is a F-1 tunnel boat. Lots of safety gear, Roll bar, seat belts, etc I will be down this summer for a few select events just let me know.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1501back_right.JPG

cyclone
03-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Anyone is capable of making dumbass moves when behind the wheel of boat. doesn't matter if they own a custom rigged flatty, a 2,000 dollar jet boat, a sea doo, or a bass boat. Thinking that just because the guy has been boating for 20 years or has a fast or great looking boat means that he's any smarter behind the wheel than a 20 year old kid with a jet boat doesn't make much sense to me.

boater012
03-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Anyone is capable of making dumbass moves when behind the wheel of boat. doesn't matter if they own a custom rigged flatty, a 2,000 dollar jet boat, a sea doo, or a bass boat. Thinking that just because the guy has been boating for 20 years or has a fast or great looking boat means that he's any smarter behind the wheel than a 20 year old kid with a jet boat doesn't make much sense to me.
What are you talking about ??? You mean to tell me that you'd put your wife and kids into a boat driven by a 20 year old kid that had never seen a boat!!! before you'd put her in a boat with someone who grew up around them!!! Has owned at least one boat at all times and usally has at least two at any given moment????????????
That my friend does not make sense to me!! :argue: Im going to go back to my old sigline for a refresher!!! Arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics!! Even If you win you're still retarded!! :crossx:

canuck1
03-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I guess that running the same speeds with a jet at 567 HP that you are hoping to run with 620 - 675HP makes your V-drive faster with the same power..... :rollside:

old rigger
03-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Mike I agree with ya about anyone making a dumbass mistake, but I don't when it come to your reasoning about time spent behind the wheel. Some guy that's not the sharpest knife in the rack, but has been behind the wheel of a boat for 20 years, vs some kid with with a jet boat, give me the nit wit any day of the week.
Gimme the 20 year old a few years down the road, and yes I know there are exceptions to that.
I've built more boats, mostly jets, for guys that honestly scared me when I thought about them being on the water, than I care to rmemeber. To make matters worse, I had to test drive their boat with them. Does this mean I think all jetters are bad boaters, not at all and that's especially true when talking about the boaters on this board (for the most part I think). The guys here are obviously really into thier boats, be it a 2000 dollar jet or some over priced (insert any name). I think the people here are the upper 1% of boaters though. There are lots of scary people on the water that shouldn't be.

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I guess that running the same speeds with a jet at 567 HP that you are hoping to run with 620 - 675HP makes your V-drive faster with the same power..... :rollside:
I am being conservative since I have no idea. If you are saying a jet is more efficient, now we have another battle. As you know there are tons of different hulls and set ups. Could you take an old heavy ski flat with 550hp and run the same as a tunnel jet with 550hp? no. Could you take a v-drive hydro with 550hp and run the same as a v bottom jet with 550hp? no.
To find out which is more efficient, it must be apples to apples.

wsuwrhr
03-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Is this an open invite?
I'll jump on that.
I would love a ride in a beer can.
I don't know why these boats haven't cought on for rec purposes.
Brian
First let me say Nice to you Jer,
Now for the reason I have a jet. Because it is what I like most!
I like the fact that you drive wide open most of the time. Just burp it to get the hull wet and right back to the floor. I enjoy working on the motor, pump and set up.
Dmon here is a old picture of my boat you wana ride? Great acceleration the only thing to turn harder is a F-1 tunnel boat. Lots of safety gear, Roll bar, seat belts, etc I will be down this summer for a few select events just let me know.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1501back_right.JPG

canuck1
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I am being conservative since I have no idea. If you are saying a jet is more efficient, now we have another battle. As you know there are tons of different hulls and set ups. Could you take an old heavy ski flat with 550hp and run the same as a tunnel jet with 550hp? no. Could you take a v-drive hydro with 550hp and run the same as a v bottom jet with 550hp? no.
To find out which is more efficient, it must be apples to apples.
Ahhh now you are being specific and not making generalized statements. I guess I made my point.
And I wasn't talking about a tunnel either
Why don't you post some pics of your new ride

bottom feeder
03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Not a problem on the ride. Any thing thing for a tin cutter. I think they have not became popular because they have no room inside?

canuck1
03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Is this an open invite?
I'll jump on that.
I would love a ride in a beer can.
I don't know why these boats haven't cought on for rec purposes.
Brian
They have around here

canuck1
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Not a problem on the ride. Any thing thing for a tin cutter. I think they have not became popular because they have no room inside?
Mine kinda does

bottom feeder
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Be quiet you want to ruin our fun

bottom feeder
03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
You must have one of them long 16 footers :)

canuck1
03-10-2006, 05:48 PM
You must have one of them long 16 footers :)
Yep. after the torpedo got wrecked I got a big boat

boater012
03-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Those aluminum boats are sick guys I dont know how many of you have to been to a race but its amazing what they get those fockers to do!! i saw one when I was in oregon for a few weeks and they had a place on the track (loose term for a trickling stream) where you actually had to jump a damn ramp to get to the next level up above the little water fall!! I have seen some amazing shite in my life but that was truly amazing.
I stood there looking at the ramp going????? what in the fock is this the end of line or what???? then a few seconds later a coors can flies by going sixty and jumps the farkin thing forty feet up a ramp!!! I almost crapped myself!!! I was thirty feet from this whole thing!!! You should go see one before anyone goes busting on it too hard!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

LVjetboy
03-10-2006, 06:11 PM
River runners like Canuk1 and Bottom feeder don't get enough credit here yet in some ways they're the essence of jet boating. I'd like to see more of their knowledge blended with ours.
I'd also like to have an aluminum jet so I could try my idea of drilling holes in the bottom.
jer

boater012
03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
River runners like Canuk1 and Bottom feeder don't get enough credit here yet in some ways they're the essence of jet boating. I'd like to see more of their knowledge blended with ours.
I'd also like to have an aluminum jet so I could try my idea of drilling holes in the bottom.
jer
I have ten sheets of 3/16 aluminum plate at my shop! And five boxes of welding wire come over we'll make one!!! could'nt take that long could it???? I have probably twenty pieces of 2" aluminum poles probably could get a damn fine roll cage out of that!!

canuck1
03-10-2006, 06:17 PM
jer
OK Jer
I gotta ask about the holes

Wally_Gator
03-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Don,
You are a good guy. We have shared the beach a couple of times...
But....
Why argue and take the individual choices of others so personally?
AND...
How much seat time do you have in a v-drive or a Jet for that matter?
I would say that if you want to stir the pot, go to the sandbar and have fun over there...
I had a great opportunity to build a Sanger v-drive, yet passed it up...
Why? Cost of the project and it did not fit my family.
My personal opionons and preferences...
Want to argue the cost of speed, open a new thread...
I have been there when there was a v-drive full of people and it was being towed in.. I offered to help ease the crowd by taking on people..
Other than that let me know when you and your dad are going to Elsinore. I'll meet you there and offer you a beer after a ride in my slow inefficeint (yet fun) jet.

Wally_Gator
03-10-2006, 06:25 PM
On Roosting Jet Skis....
It can be argued that it can be a bit dangerous, Yet...
If a jet ski will not get the wave off hint that they are too close...
I am going to roost their ass...
I will not have a jet ski collision like a friend of mine had years ago because some
idiot can lay down cash and get on one with out any instruction. Only to go home that day and not care what he/she did that day.
What is the reccomended stand off distance between any two watercraft? 50 feet, 100 feet?
I can go on about that but will stop...

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Don,
You are a good guy. We have shared the beach a couple of times...
But....
Why argue and take the individual choices of others so personally?
AND...
How much seat time do you have in a v-drive or a Jet for that matter?
I would say that if you want to stir the pot, go to the sandbar and have fun over there...
I had a great opportunity to build a Sanger v-drive, yet passed it up...
Why? Cost of the project and it did not fit my family.
My personal opionons and preferences...
Want to argue the cost of speed, open a new thread...
I have been there when there was a v-drive full of people and it was being towed in.. I offered to help ease the crowd by taking on people..
Other than that let me know when you and your dad are going to Elsinore. I'll meet you there and offer you a beer after a ride in my slow inefficeint (yet fun) jet.
Wally, I wish everyone else knew me like you do. :) Unfortunately alot of the stuff you read online makes you out to be worse than you really are. To answer your seat time question, my Dad bought a flatty when I was 14 years old. Of course like any parent he wanted to get me behind the wheel. I soon took the wheel and have been driving a flatty ever since and I am now 26. I really soak things up that I am taught and try to improve over and over again. I actually taught my dad how to turn hard, he can tell you the story some time. :) Just ask him "I heard you had an experience turning the old flatty", that will wake him up.
We should be out there for RWYB.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-10-2006, 06:45 PM
The only reason I wasn't run over by some moron in/on a Jet Ski back in '89 (I guess the red was too hard to see) was because my old, slow, carpet-floored, need 40 acres to turn, jet spun us a hard left at 6grand (yea, cavitating HARD) trying to dodge the mfer. Spun us stern to him and as I straightened the whel, she LAUNCHED, HARD. I HOPE he got roosted from the 20 feet he was behind us. He was in the water as we left. :mad: :mad:

LVjetboy
03-10-2006, 07:28 PM
OK Jer
I gotta ask about the holes
It's off-topic but has to do with reducing hull drag like a hocky puck on an air table. An aluminum hull makes testing the idea a heck of a lot easier than fiberglass. That's another thread.
jer

4604me
03-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think it matters if you can go 100 mph, or how safe a jet or prop is, after all how cool can you look in a bayliner, so it's the cool facter for me. jet or flat, I like the way thay look and sound, loud and low, how cool is that.

Unchained
03-11-2006, 04:38 AM
It's off-topic but has to do with reducing hull drag like a hocky puck on an air table. An aluminum hull makes testing the idea a heck of a lot easier than fiberglass. That's another thread.
jer
I remember that discussion from the old RJB board.
I suggested a similar idea and you would have thought I was insulting someones mother.
It seems any new ideas meet with the old "it won't work" kneejerk response from most.

bottom feeder
03-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I remember that discussion from the old RJB board.
I suggested a similar idea and you would have though I was insulting someones mother.
It seems any new ideas meet with the old "it won't work" kneejerk response from most.
I recall someting about this. But hey I am not scared to try new ideas or at least retry old ideas I have not heard of. I like the ideas i have seen from you and old guy allong with many others. Too bad most of the time it becomes a pissing match.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-11-2006, 01:12 PM
jer
Now THAT could be an interesting thread, and a much MORE interesting experiment. There is only 1 real way to find out if it is/was workable or not. Even if it was tried 20 years ago, might be time for another approach. Approaches change, tools & techniques change, technology changes a LOT. What was not feasable 30 years ago is simple today in many areas.
Sorry for the hi-jack.

beerjet
03-11-2006, 05:35 PM
What were we talkin about again. :D

SmokinLowriderSS
03-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Your avatar. Damn! that one never gets old. :) :)

dmontzsta
03-16-2006, 07:04 PM
I thought you boys might enjoy these trailer queens. :)
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/samples/sample.htm

SmokinLowriderSS
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Sweet video Dmontzsta.

dmontzsta
03-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Sweet video Dmontzsta.
Thanks, but you can thank Mr.V-DriveVideo for that one. I just posted it, thought I would spread the love around, Free videos are always good.
:)