PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia-Death of freedom

Seadog
12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I am mad enough to spit. It seems that a gentleman started his eatery in Philly in 1966 with just a few bucks. He now has a great business that is earning him a good living. It is so busy, that he posted a couple of small signs saying 'This is America, please speak English'. There are a lot of immigrants (guess what kind) in the area, and if they can't speak english, it slows things down. Now the Commission on Human Rights is accusing him of intimidation tactics and brought in a sociology professor to back up their claim. It seems to me that this guy might just be ready for retirement. So are we going to see a small business close its doors because some jackarse lawyer is trying to justify his job?
In the same type of carp, there was also a story where a small airline put out a calendar of some of its stewardesses in bikinis. Spain is protesting to the EU that since they did not have any males posing, it was discriminatory.

Wet Dream
12-15-2007, 05:17 PM
This is actually kind of old. This came to light almost 2 years ago, maybe longer, and has garnered plenty of national support from across the nation. He's not going anywhere unless he's ready.

Sean5474
12-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I heard of this a while ago. There was a story on the news about it last night, but I missed it. Is the owner going to comply with the commission of human rights? Or let his place get shut down? I think I'd comply instead of loosing my business, and I don't think I'd want to spend a bunch of money in court just so I could keep up a little sign.
It's to bad that we live in america and a small business owner can't run it his way. He doesn't need the sign, just don't serve anyone who can't tell you what they want in english. If they can't read the menu, they don't need to order.

sanger rat
12-15-2007, 06:04 PM
It's time for a rEVOLution.

Blown 472
12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
It's time for a rEVOLution.
Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

bchbum
12-15-2007, 11:37 PM
What if you posted it in Spanish ? Would the a-hole lawyer be able to read it ?

jdf
12-16-2007, 04:43 AM
dude you in the usa speak english ....it woulbe the same if we were in they country ..

HammerDown
12-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Last update on my local Philly news...
95% support the owner-
5% want the sign down-
Think I'll drive in town today and get me a Geno's Cheese Steak...;)

OKIE-JET
12-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Dayyyummm, BOB.......You wake up on the wrong side of the rhino this mornin'?:D

Heater
12-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Good luck with that.:rolleyes:
GO F$&k yourself Blown, you are an idiot. There isn't an issue that comes up that you don't blame the President and it gets old.......keep pointing the finger and bitching, its real classy....

Brooski
12-16-2007, 11:27 AM
When interviewed the owner of the joint said it best, "The sign is written in English, so if they can't read it how can they be offended by it?"
Its stupid, as a business owner he has the right to verbally say I dont understand you, you need to speak english. But put it on a sign and all hell breaks loose.

Baja Big Dog
12-16-2007, 12:14 PM
WOW...this one went into the shitter in a hurry, lots of Christmas aggression here today!!:eek:

Seadog
12-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I guess SWB got ahold of some bad torpedo juice. Half of what he said did not make any sense. I don't see where I said anything about Mexicans. And I don't see why some idiots in Spain complaining about discrimination to the EU over some nice bikini shots have anything to do with them.

HammerDown
12-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I just visited Geno's for a great Philly Cheese Steak...they hear every day from locals and people that visit out of state..."F'em leave the sign up";)
My grandparents came over from Naples Italy...they were proud to learn the American language and become a asset to this great Country. Unlike the people crying about that sign at Geno's.

FOXMAN
12-16-2007, 04:15 PM
The Statue of Liberty welomes all that come to our country.. So do I.. But i belive you should speak english! I dont think that is to much to ask of a person.

FOXMAN
12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
By the way.. My great grand parents came over to America on a BOAT. From Germany.. And they didnt go around BITCH'N that nobody spoke German. Why should it be any diferent for ANY one else??:confused:

FOXMAN
12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Hola? Guten Tag!! Hello?? NO REPLYS???