Outlaw
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
is there any reason I should not use stainless
to build my ride plate?

Jetaholic
12-15-2007, 07:46 PM
is there any reason I should not use stainless
to build my ride plate?
Most ride plates are made of aluminum (you probably already knew that)...which is a lot more flexible than steel. This flexibility will make it much easier to set the ride plate angle without having to drill "a bunch of holes in it" :D :D

IMPATIENT 1
12-15-2007, 07:46 PM
go for it, sucker will be strong:D

Jetaholic
12-15-2007, 07:49 PM
go for it, sucker will be strong:D
Unlike a BBF :D :D

IMPATIENT 1
12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Unlike a BBF :D :D
it obvious you've never owned, operated or built a bbf:D
rideplate warpage is a constant battle if you don't reinforce them. i doubt a stainless would warp much. and i'm sure getting a good ride plate angle can't be that tuff with stainless but then again i've never tried too.i build mine with 1/4 plate alum.

UBFJ #454
12-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Stainless is brittle i.e.; it does not have good shear strength so I wouldn't use it. Note too that no one uses stainless to make v-drive struts or rudders because of its brittleness and ride plates take far more of a beating than they do.
I prefer using 1/4 inch 7075 T6 Al 'Tool Plate', not the more common 1024 Al.

BrendellaJet
12-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Stainless is brittle i.e.; it does not have good shear strength so I wouldn't use it. Note too that no one uses stainless to make v-drive struts or rudders because of its brittleness and ride plates take far more of a beating than they do.
I prefer using 1/4 inch 7075 T6 Al 'Tool Plate', not the more common 1024 Al.
Im gonna disagree with your analysis of the v-drive parts taking less abuse, as well as the statement that struts & rudders aren't made with stainless. Fact is they do make them with stainless and they take a hell of a lot more abuse than a jetboat can dish out.

Outlaw
12-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I was planning on using 1/4 inch 7075
and add 4 strips spaced evenly across the plate
then started looking at a piece of 1/4" stainless
plate:idea:
I'm not an engineer but if a stainless impeller
is stronger than an aluminum one.....
my last ride plate is warped both ways and pitted
just aft of the shoe

Unchained
12-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Stainless would be great material to make it out of. You could drop down to 3//16 or thinner material thickness and still be way stronger than aluminum.
Stainless is not brittle. It is a very tough material and it is hard to machine which is why it is less desirable than aluminum which cuts like butter.
Drilling and tapping holes in stainless is a chore. Slow speeds and cutting oil will get the job done but its squeeling all the way and putting out blue chips.
V drive prop shafts are made from a stainless alloy and that has to be the most highly stressed part in any boat.
A 90 degree bend in a press brake will cause a fracture in 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum but stainless will bend just fine. 303 aluminum will bend better.

cyclone
12-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Stainless would be great material to make it out of. You could drop down to 3//16 or thinner material thickness and still be way stronger than aluminum.
Stainless is not brittle. It is a very tough material and it is hard to machine which is why it is less desirable than aluminum which cuts like butter.
Drilling and tapping holes in stainless is a chore. Slow speeds and cutting oil will get the job done but its squeeling all the way and putting out blue chips.
V drive prop shafts are made from a stainless alloy and that has to be the most highly stressed part in any boat.
A 90 degree bend in a press brake will cause a fracture in 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum but stainless will bend just fine. 303 aluminum will bend better.
Bingo.:)

BUSBY
12-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I agree with Mark (unchained) and Mike (cyclone) here ...

UBFJ #454
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Checked on my usage of the term 'Brittle' regarding sheet stainless and yes, I was wrong.
Even so, that does not change my preference for using 7075 T-6, or, T-651 for a ride plate given its tensile strength is within 2.35 percent of 303 SS and its density is 65 percent less than that of stainless. Also, there is the 'workability' factor ... as Mark has pointed out SS is much harded to cut, drill, etc. than is any alloyed Al.

Placecraft Dragstar
12-16-2007, 02:35 PM
There are other reasons to use aluminum for a ride plate other then the work ability of it. In using aluminum you can see how your set up is working as far as the burn marks on it and what pattern is forming on it.

BrendellaJet
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
There are other reasons to use aluminum for a ride plate other then the work ability of it. In using aluminum you can see how your set up is working as far as the burn marks on it and what pattern is forming on it.
Speedcoat the stainless. Problem solved.

Placecraft Dragstar
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Speedcoat the stainless. Problem solved.
READ WHAT I SAID
Maybe you dont understand what pattern to look for as far as burn marks on a plate.
Speed coating it has nothing to do with it.
We all know to speed coat things.
Unless burn marks would show up on stainless? Anybody know
I have always used aluminum

widowmaker
12-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Remember too that there are many grades of stainless. Some machine easier than others.
Here is a good link to the different types of stainless. Oh yea about four times the price:(
http://www.machinist-materials.com/stainless_table.htm

Warp Speed
12-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Slightly off topic, but I always wondered why loaders are not stainless??
Warp Speed :D

Wazoo
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Good question! I was wondering that myself. Anybody know?:idea:

Outlaw
12-16-2007, 07:52 PM
My loader is Stainless, its even has stainless welds.
besides stainless cuts like butter with a plasma cutter.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P10100471.JPG

BrendellaJet
12-16-2007, 08:52 PM
READ WHAT I SAID
Maybe you dont understand what pattern to look for as far as burn marks on a plate.
Speed coating it has nothing to do with it.
We all know to speed coat things.
Unless burn marks would show up on stainless? Anybody know
I have always used aluminum
A) Dont use caps. You want to yell, yell to my face, dont hide behind a keyboard.
B) The speedcoat will wear where burnmarks will appear. Very easy to see.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2007, 12:50 AM
A) Dont use caps. You want to yell, yell to my face, dont hide behind a keyboard.
Killing em' with kindness :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Why not start with a piece of .500 thick 6061 T6 plate? Mill it down to .250 where it meets the shoe and leave the rest of the plate at .500 for strength:idea:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2007, 12:54 AM
. This flexibility will make it much easier to set the ride plate angle without having to drill "a bunch of holes in it" :D :D
yes sir......
When peeps drill a bunch of holes in the plate, you weaken the material. When I did my stiffeners, I only used 5 holes to bolt them down with. This will yield a stronger plate because there is more material left on the plate............

Placecraft Dragstar
12-17-2007, 04:45 AM
I WOULD TELL YOU THE SAME IN PERSON IM NOT HIDING HERE BEHIND THE KEY BOARD. WHEN I MENTION BURN MARKS MAYBE I SHOULD SAY THE PITS IN THE ALUMINUM.
SO DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT PATTERN TO LOOK FOR YOU DID NOT ANSWER THAT.
HAVE A NICE DAY.

BrendellaJet
12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Internet toughguy! Im shaking, BIATCH!

BUSBY
12-17-2007, 07:42 AM
price ... too expensive. Some have made them but people didn't buy them due to price.
I guess if you find a loader that works for you application perfectly & aren't going to change it ever, it wouldn't be a bad investment to go stainless.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
awww yeah! Its getn hott in hereeeeeee :D :D