PDA

View Full Version : Jets in salt water

Mandelon
05-30-2002, 03:01 PM
I'm thinking of going to a jet on my next boat purchase. My kids are getting old enough to drag behind on wakeboards and skis. This of course means tons of starts and stops with them and soon, I'm sure their friends. I worry a little about the prop danger and their wee little feet meeting up with my Bravo drive. But....we boat a lot of Mission Bay. What is the deal with jets and that funky salt water??

Hallett19
05-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Since jets use water from the body you are in to cool the motor, you are risking lots of rust and extra wear and tear to your parts with the salt, salt is abrasive and very corosive, so you will eventually run into problems, and the resale value will drop, however if your pump parts are stainless and painted/powdercoated well, it will be fine, but the motor, I don't know if there is anything you can do to make that prevent rust other than rinse it out very very well as soon as you get out of the water.

Mandelon
05-30-2002, 03:54 PM
You're right about the salt and corrosion. My current trailers' brakes froze up in one season, despite my best attempts to flush the drums. I took out the adjusters and brake early now!! I do wash it out and run water through it for 20 minutes after we get home.
[This message has been edited by Mandelon (edited May 30, 2002).]

cncer691
05-30-2002, 05:11 PM
I've been in the salt for 6 months now, and except for the pain in the ass of washing and flushing every time out, I haven't noticed anything bad. I do feel like I am mistreating my boat, though.

Mandelon
05-30-2002, 05:29 PM
How do you wash out the through the intake?

Blown509Liberator
05-31-2002, 07:19 AM
I would think you would be better off going to a closed cooling system.

HavasuDreamin'
05-31-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Blown509Liberator:
I would think you would be better off going to a closed cooling system.
Booyah! Never thought of that, but that would eliminate running salt water through your motor. You would still need to flush out your pump though. That is definately the way to go.

Hallett19
05-31-2002, 09:10 AM
is there such thing as a close system cooling thingy for jets ?

flat broke
05-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Sure,
It'd be the exact same setup as on an I/O except it would have the option of getting the cooing water for the heat exchanger either from a water pump like in a I/O, or from the Jet (would probably use a regulator in front of the exchanger though to ensure you're not running too much PSI to it at WOT.
Chris

77charger
05-31-2002, 09:34 PM
Have done it before a wide open pass in newport harbor(very highly not recomended) a few years ago.would not recomend salt water with bassets though i was too tired at 3 am when i got home to wipe off and waited til morn to flush motor now have a water stain on headers that will not come off.As for the motor after flushing it is no problem.alot of in the ater boats do not use a closed cooling system but are always filled with salt water.It is the exposure to air which causes rapid rust.So when you pull your boat out of the water the water in the engine drains out and is easier to rust.Point is if you flush the motor and wash everything properly it shouldnt be a problem.
I use to take my jet to dana point a few times to go tubing but stayed just outside the breakwater.

RiverDave
06-01-2002, 12:50 AM
While I'll never encourage someone to buy a jet over a prop http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif If you were to put together a jet with a 496HO Merc Motor, it would come stock with closed cooling, then the only thing you'd have to flush is the pump. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
(Or so I've been told.)
RD

flat broke
06-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave:
While I'll never encourage someone to buy a jet over a prop http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif If you were to put together a jet with a 496HO Merc Motor, it would come stock with closed cooling, then the only thing you'd have to flush is the pump. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Dave,
Wouldn't you still want to flush out the heat exchanger? I've never had a closed cooling system boat, but would figure that since the exchanger is in direct contact with the saltwater, you'd want to make sure it got flushed.
Youre mercruiser prowess is required for my enlightenment Sensei of the I/O and battlebot http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Chris
(Or so I've been told.)
RD

HOSS
06-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Closed cooling is a must for salt applications. Yes, you will still have to flush it! And the pump will corrode from the hard water. But so does everything else. An outboard is the way to go in salt. The water passages are gold iridited from 93 and up if I`m not mistaken (OMC).

Mandelon
06-03-2002, 11:14 AM
It sounds like I'll just be extra careful with the peewee size skiers and go with the outdrive. I only seem to bust a prop (always around Laughlin) every other year anyway.
But I was kinda looking forward to cranking up a rooster tail on the little punks riding on the tube!!!

Chestah Cheetah
06-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon:
But I was kinda looking forward to cranking up a rooster tail on the little punks riding on the tube!!!
Can you feel the love?

Eric
06-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon:
Do NOT underestimate how much fun that can be!!!!
The only problem is eventually they figure out they can lean back and pull the front of the tube up to block the rooster. Oh Well, you can still catch 'em offguard every once in a while http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

boatlessd
07-04-2002, 10:08 AM
mandelon,
just saw your topic and was thinking the same thing. What size boat are you thinking about with the jet. I too want to go in the ocean and am looking for a 23' boat. Anyone seen a bigger boat with a deeper V with a jet? A 21 just doesn't handle well enough in the chop.