PDA

View Full Version : rhino oil

IT'SONLYMONEY
12-16-2007, 12:12 PM
hey guys yet another rhino question.
what oil are you running.
i've been told as long as you run the right weight of oil it doesn't matter. i have people running motor oil 10/30 and then i have people saying that the motor oil will cause the floating clutch to heat up slip and feeze. the guys that have been running the motor oil have had no problems at all. but you have the other guys saying that it is a wreck waiting to happen.
any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated. going to change the oil for the first time and don't want any drama in the desert for new years.
thanks
chuck

djunkie
12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Yamalube!!!!!!!! Its what comes in the rhino so you know it has to be ok for it. A little pricey but better than screwing something up with the wrong oil.

caroftheweek
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
i've been told as long as you run the right weight of oil it doesn't matter. i have people running motor oil 10/30 and then i have people saying that the motor oil will cause the floating clutch to heat up slip and feeze. the guys that have been running the motor oil have had no problems at all. but you have the other guys saying that it is a wreck waiting to happen.
any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated. going to change the oil for the first time and don't want any drama in the desert for new years.
thanks
chuck
I would hope everyone is running motor oil. Are you questioning synthetic vs. conventional?

Ivan Dan
12-16-2007, 01:02 PM
I would hope everyone is running motor oil. Are you questioning synthetic vs. conventional?
Smarta$$ :D
I used Motul 4 stroke engine oil. I think if you are changing it on a regular basis it doesn't really matter what oil you use.

OCMerrill
12-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Smarta$$ :D
I used Motul 4 stroke engine oil. I think if you are changing it on a regular basis it doesn't really matter what oil you use.
There you go. Motul is about the best of the best.

02HoWaRd26
12-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Just stay away from Synthetic and you will be golden!!! I use a stright 40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter...

BigDoug
12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
What's wrong with useing synthetic ?

02HoWaRd26
12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
It tear's up the wet clutch. I am unsure the exact's but Have read alot on it in the past Yamaha even strongly suggest's against it...

BigDoug
12-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you, i was inquireing for the use on our Arctic Cat is all ???? :D

Beer-30
12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I would run a full synthetic in any of them. Free up some HP (less friction) and help keep the clutch cool. Twice the endurance of regular. Out in the middle of the desert, 20 miles from camp at 115 degrees, I would want the best I could put in it.
http://www.torcousa.com/ProductImages/060913091236t4sr_4stroke_pop.jpg
Product Description
T-4SR is a 100% synthetic oil designed for highly stressed 4-stroke racing engines. T-4SR is an MPZ® formula that offers the ultimate in viscosity control, anti-friction, anti-wear and improved power output. It is formulated to reduce engine temperatures and provide the highest degree of protection under the most severe temperature and load conditions. A selective additive system and polymer chemistry also provides anti-oxidation, anti-foam, anti-rust and consistent clutch engagement for motorcycles with integrated transmissions. T-4SR offers the best protection for engines running at consistently high RPM, high temperatures and under extreme loads or endurance type conditions.
Features & Benefits
- 100% advanced synthetic technology
- MPZ® frictional loss technology
- Protects under the most severe temperatures
- Provides smooth, positive clutch activation
- Highest anti-wear and deposit free performance
Typical Uses
Recommended for use in racing or modified air cooled or liquid cooled 4-cycle engines. Highly recommended for high endurance or severe temperature applications.

RiverRatMike
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Yamalube!!!!!!!! Its what comes in the rhino so you know it has to be ok for it. A little pricey but better than screwing something up with the wrong oil.
I agree, Yamalube has been awesome to me. I own 3 other high performance Yamaha products and Yamalube has been all I've used in my machines and no problems.

djunkie
12-17-2007, 01:29 AM
I would run a full synthetic in any of them. Free up some HP (less friction) and help keep the clutch cool. Twice the endurance of regular. Out in the middle of the desert, 20 miles from camp at 115 degrees, I would want the best I could put in it.
http://www.torcousa.com/ProductImages/060913091236t4sr_4stroke_pop.jpg
Thats great in a bike with a manual clutch but the wet clutch system in a rhino is different. I have read many different places that claim the rhino's clutch system does not like synthetic oils.

OGShocker
12-17-2007, 05:52 AM
What's wrong with useing synthetic ?
It is no worse than using and E in U S I N G. :D

Jordy
12-17-2007, 07:41 AM
It is no worse than using and E in U S I N G. :D
Using "and" E??? :idea: :D

BigDoug
12-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Alright you two.......................you got me !! :D

havaduner
12-17-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree, Yamalube has been awesome to me. I own 3 other high performance Yamaha products and Yamalube has been all I've used in my machines and no problems.
I dont think you can consider a Rhino high performance!:D :D

phebus
12-17-2007, 08:16 AM
I dont think you can consider a Rhino high performance!:D :D
O.K., how about "high priced to see performance". Sure costs a lot to do anything to them.

havaduner
12-17-2007, 08:52 AM
O.K., how about "high priced to see performance". Sure costs a lot to do anything to them.
Rhino is just a five letter word, a name for an animal that runs wild, also used as a name for a hole to throw money into. I should know. I own two of them now.:jawdrop:

OGShocker
12-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Using "and" E??? :idea: :D
5:52 in the morning, you are lucky I didn't type, FOCK OFF, Jordy..:D

rivercrazy
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM
I've been using the Yamaha semi-syn oil. No problems to date. Over 1,000 miles on mine (or about 72 hours).

Cole Trickle
12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Keep it simple.....I run yamalube:)

hoolign
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
thanks
chuck
I'd use seal oil.once you get used to the whining they do when you club em..its a cheap substitute!

IT'SONLYMONEY
12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
i did the math and using conventional oil is only going to save about 8 bucks a change.
called my mechanic and he said that it is true that unless you find a motor oil that has all the properties that is listed in the manual, a floating clutch will slip, creating heat, and eventually weld itself together. not worth the head ache on a 25mile ride. some local guys use gtx but i'm staying true to the factory specs.
beer 30 is right go with what works, but the syns oils are not good for the wet clutch. and who camps in the desert during the summer. 112 my trailer and gen. would probably melt or catch on fire trying to run the air all day and night:)
sticking to what came in her the first time. i have a feeling if you stray from that and then have an issue, your shop is going to bill you and not your extended bumper to bumper coverage.
thanks for all the knowledge
have a great holiday
be safe
chuck

Beer-30
12-18-2007, 10:05 AM
sticking to what came in her the first time. i have a feeling if you stray from that and then have an issue, your shop is going to bill you and not your extended bumper to bumper coverage.
chuck
Sounds like the best idea. Easiest and safest.