PDA

View Full Version : Old flattie porpoising badly - suggestions?

VDriver66
12-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone, I've been trying to help a friend of mine get his boat ready for CFW and we've run into some issues with it. Here is how the boat is setup:
1966 Hallet
Casale top loader vdrive with 1.17 gears (seems to have a steep angle as the vdrive sits behind the driver)
Borrowed an 11.5 x 14 steel 2 blad prop to run it this morning
502 BBC, 12:1 comp, solid roller cam, 990 iron heads, big single plane manifold with holley 1050 dominator
We took it out this morning and ran it at calero reservoir in south san jose. Motor was running well (except for smoke, another issue...looks like it's going to need rings). The boat comes out of the water hard (gets air to the point where I could see the prop from the dock) and it never seems to find it's set. It continues to porpoise until you back off the throttle. If he put the plate all the way down and rolled on the throttle gently, it was ok, but touchy. He was hitting the rev limiter at 7000rpm real quick.
Any suggestions? Will a smaller diameter prop help to not pop the boat out of the water and therefore help the boat find it's set? We will be pulling the motor to re ring it, so we could move the motor forward. There is a little room, but not much. Will 6" help? He doesn't currently have a down pedal, just a lockout handle. Hopefully he will change that soon.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point he will probably just show up to CFW with the boat as is and we will pull the motor sometime in january.

Hass828
12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey everyone, I've been trying to help a friend of mine get his boat ready for CFW and we've run into some issues with it. Here is how the boat is setup:
1966 Hallet
Casale top loader vdrive with 1.17 gears (seems to have a steep angle as the vdrive sits behind the driver)
Borrowed an 11.5 x 14 steel 2 blad prop to run it this morning
502 BBC, 12:1 comp, solid roller cam, 990 iron heads, big single plane manifold with holley 1050 dominator
We took it out this morning and ran it at calero reservoir in south san jose. Motor was running well (except for smoke, another issue...looks like it's going to need rings). The boat comes out of the water hard (gets air to the point where I could see the prop from the dock) and it never seems to find it's set. It continues to porpoise until you back off the throttle. If he put the plate all the way down and rolled on the throttle gently, it was ok, but touchy. He was hitting the rev limiter at 7000rpm real quick.
Any suggestions? Will a smaller diameter prop help to not pop the boat out of the water and therefore help the boat find it's set? We will be pulling the motor to re ring it, so we could move the motor forward. There is a little room, but not much. Will 6" help? He doesn't currently have a down pedal, just a lockout handle. Hopefully he will change that soon.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point he will probably just show up to CFW with the boat as is and we will pull the motor sometime in january.
Hope your friend isnt Lot Lizzard:D

jimthetoolman
12-16-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127177&highlight=jimthetoolman

GofastRacer
12-16-2007, 06:01 PM
A friend of mine had the exact same boat back in the day and it was one flyer, I sure hope it's got all the good hardware and not ski boat stuff, and it needs a whirlaway with that much power!. I know for a fact the shaft angle is too steep and I'll bet the motor is way too far back also!.. And definitely needs a down pedal!..