PDA

View Full Version : Another Stringer Question.....I know, I know!!

sawtooth
12-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I am just about ready to replace the stringers in my boat and had read that you should not set the stringers onto the bottom of the boat as it could/will cause hard spots leading to cracking. So my question is what should I use for "bedding" in the new stringers and where can I purchase the products. Any info whould he helpful, Thanks.

H20MOFO
12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
West systems marine have a free phamplet avail. through the mail or at one of there outlets. If I remember right they showed taking some of there 105 epoxy resin, and thickining it with some of there "filler" applying the thickened epoxy to the boat and set the stringer on that. I don't know if you can belive everything you read?? Maybe others can chime in?

sawtooth
12-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks H2OMOFO, I thought that it had to be like a thin foam or a non harding putty or some thing like that so the stringer would "float" off the bottom of the boat and not become ridged :confused: I will keep searching and maybe somebody that's knows will post up.

SGettmann
12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Chris - drop Lee an email over at Schiada. I'l pm his email to you. He's very helpful to us guys building up Schiada's. He would have some good insite, but I believe H20MOFO is on track with the 105 epoxy. Just make sure it's warm when you're mixing that stuff up. It doesn't like the cold from what I understand.
I'll be in Havisu this next week, let me know if you're in town and I'll drop you a line. I'm camping out at Cattail cove and getting some winter cycling in. Maybe even bumb a ski ride off of some fisherman:)