PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints

buzzaro
12-17-2007, 05:55 AM
For the love of all thats holy, how do I make them stop??? They begin about 1mi into my run and dont stop till numbness sets in. Im sure I could have a much more pleasant and effective run, but Im not sure how to eliminate them.:hammer2: Im using Asics shoes with arch support insoles. Any runners out there with some insight?

RitcheyRch
12-17-2007, 05:57 AM
I have been wondering the same thing.

Sean5474
12-17-2007, 06:22 AM
I started running agian about a year ago and was having the same problem. I did a google search and found alot of different information. One problem was the way I was running. I was letting my foot slap down. Another thing that helped was streching and excersizing the shin muscle.
One article I read said just to run through the pain that it will go away.

ratso
12-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Just suck it up man...:D

Cigalert
12-17-2007, 07:01 AM
I actually learned about this from FloJo. During your stretching kneel down on one knee and tap your foot that's placed in front of you. Up and down until your shins are warm, usually about a minute on each. Then sit on your feet, knees together with your toes under you ass cheeks and lean back.
If that doesn't work you just need to keep going and work through the pain. Oh and vicodine for when you're done.

boatseller2
12-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Rest, put Ice on shins after running, Change to a softer running surface, and if all else fails : throw water on yourself after sitting under a tree, hold your breath until your face turns red, grab a cab, go to the nearest sports bar and tell everyone how hard your working. ;)
The old saying of it "hurts when I do whatever, then don't do whatever":D :D

catman-do
12-17-2007, 07:10 AM
One of the Sargents at Rio Hondo said that when I got them its because my stride. He said that I was landing with my feet too far in front of me and that the pressure from the heel being so far out causes your shin muscles to flex in order for your body to maintain its balance.

HPBoats83
12-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I had one trainer make me get on the steps and turn around so my heels are on the steps and the majority of my foot is hanging off. Then do like the opposite of a calf exercise and move your toes down as far as possible, then up as far as possible and just do that as an excercise. It has helped a little for me; however, I am going to go to the foot doctors because I still have them. The shoes don't seem to help me, whether I run in my etnies or my expensive nike running shoes.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-17-2007, 08:42 AM
I had one trainer make me get on the steps and turn around so my heels are on the steps and the majority of my foot is hanging off. Then do like the opposite of a calf exercise and move your toes down as far as possible, then up as far as possible and just do that as an excercise. It has helped a little for me; however, I am going to go to the foot doctors because I still have them. The shoes don't seem to help me, whether I run in my etnies or my expensive nike running shoes.
Shin splints are always a problem in our family (daughter's a cross country runner and dad tries to keep up :D ). These excersizes help, I've done toe taps also, with both knees bent, weight on the back leg, and keep the light legs heel on the ground while raising the toe up and down. It takes a lot of them, though. Ice afterward is a necessity. The best thing we've found is to tape the arch so that your foot is landing properly. I don't know if I can explain it, but here goes: Take some 1" athletic tape and put it on the bottom inside of your foot at the arch. Wrap it up towards the inside top of your foot and over the top (like you would "pul" your inside arch up), then continue the wrap 2-3 times around the foot. This causes you to use more the outside of your foot rather than the inside. It doesn't seem to cure it for my daughter, but it does for Jeff. It just helps the daughter, but she runs 5-10 miles a day. Good luck.

SinisterGrin
12-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I used to get them when I first joined the military then just a little yelling and constuctive motivation to fix the problem. First, run correctly, unless you are sprinting on your toes then you should be landing heel to toe. In other words almost roll from your heel to your toe. It takes away from the shock of letting all your wieght bear on you shins. Sencond, strengthen your shins, there are important muscles there. Sit on a bench and put a wieght on top of your feet, do 20 reps a day and work your way up each week. I'm out of the military now and run 5-10 miles a week and heven't had shin splints in nearly 10 years.:D

snake321
12-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I was told that running on asphalt aggrivates it.

Racey
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Start riding a bike instead.

Strippoker
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
After working in as a ast. trainer in college the best trick to keep the pain down until they get better is yes lay off the running for a bit. Second go by a large box of the dixi paper bathroom cups. Fill them and freeze them then you can can tear back the paper as you rub your shins down 1 cup should do to get them to ice up per leg. Make it a goal you have to use the entire glass before you stop rubbing. You have to ice them to the point it will hurt a tad then go nub. Lastly strech the hell out of your legs dont put heat on them or ice hot carp like that will just mess them up more. If anything go to a health foods store and ask to get some Arnica. the stuff rocks and will easy the muscles.

buzzaro
12-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Ill try the ice, Ive been stretching but maybe not enough. It probably doesnt help that part of the run is on concrete/asphalt and that I weigh 240:idea: . Im up to 5mi on the long runs and 15-20mi a week depending on how my schedule goes. It will be nice to get the shins to stop hurting so I can think about other things more.........like my legs aching or lungs burning:D

Phat Matt
12-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Quit running. Problem solved. :D

SummerBreeze
12-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Back in the day when I ran the 120 High Hurtles in High School we would run on the grass durning the week because of shin splints.
The only answer was a soft area to run in

BADBLOWN572
12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
I used to get shin splints REALLY bad. The solution for me was to go to my chiropractor and he made a set of "orthodics" for me. They step your foot in foam to get the exact impression of it then they cater them specifically for you. Once I got them, it made my feet have the proper arch supports and problem was solved. :)

BajaMike
12-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Quit running. Problem solved. :D
I agree....running is hard on your whole body.....get a bike, a treadmill or an elliptical machine. :idea: