PDA

View Full Version : Axles

Community
12-17-2007, 10:12 AM
If I wanted to build a triple axle trailer for a 10' mini Schiada using golf cart wheels, what kind of axle would you use to help keep the wheels close together but still provide some suspension?

Moneypitt
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Search "trailer supplies" or "Trailer axles". They come in various lengths, with several "rated" spring set ups.....Also different wheel bolt patterns..........MP

Community
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks.

YeLLowBoaT
12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
just make sure what ever tires you get are DOT approved and speed rated for highway speeds. Barings are also going to have to be maintaned ALOT as those little wheels spin really fast.

brianthomas
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
If I wanted to build a triple axle trailer for a 10' mini Schiada using golf cart wheels, what kind of axle would you use to help keep the wheels close together but still provide some suspension?
Probably stating the obvious here but golf cart tires are not DOT aproved. The wheel speed would be incredible at 70MPH.

Nord
12-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Do a search on here on "bubbles" I would do what RD did and do a double axle with regular size wheels. Your not going to be able to get away with Golf Cart Tires unless your towing off regulated streets.

RiverDave
12-17-2007, 11:04 AM
To keep the wheel spacing close together your going to have to end up using Torsion axles. The problem is the torsions aren't going to be rated for something that light. The torsions that were on my tandem trailer were custom made for the trailer. If my understanding of it is correct, I think they took normal 1500 lb axles, and then cut the rubber torsion down to the correct ratings.. The people that make the Torsions are the people that did this as a favor for Trevor.
RD

SB
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
The problem is the torsions aren't going to be rated for something that light.
Which means your trailer is going to bounce around and your cargo will get beat to death.
Maybe 2 "fake" wheels on each side that aren't really holding up anything?

Community
12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
i doubt the thing will see much highway time at all. Was planning on keeping in a toy hauler with the golf cart to move it around at the river/lake. Something to really waste time and money on :)

superdave013
12-17-2007, 11:36 AM
just weld them up yourself. Could use coil springs to get the correct spring rate. Then toss on some cheap O shocks to control the springs.

snake321
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Open snowmobile trailers use small tires

maxwedge
12-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Open snowmobile trailers use small tires
Yep and that's why many of those trailers get left on the side of the road or at random gas stations throughout WI, IL and MI every year do to failed wheel bearings or flat tires. Probably get left anywhere else they get used too, but I don't see them there.

snake321
12-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Yep and that's why many of those trailers get left on the side of the road or at random gas stations throughout WI, IL and MI every year do to failed wheel bearings or flat tires. Probably get left anywhere else they get used too, but I don't see them there.
Both lack of maintenance issues and/or nail issues