PDA

View Full Version : should i keep 455 olds or switch over to BBC?

Eric455
06-03-2002, 04:32 PM
i really dont knwo some people say with hardened crank, oil restrictors, 10 qrt oil pan i should be okay for another 10 years. some people say dont risk it? can anyone help me? please!

77charger
06-03-2002, 05:37 PM
if you just want to run the 455 will do and cab run well too if speed,hp, and HIGH RPM go bbc

GlastronGuy
06-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Anybody can build a 454. Stay with the 455.

Q-ball
06-03-2002, 07:40 PM
I was at the lake last weekend with my 455 powered boat having a trouble free perfect weekend. My wifes uncle was also there breaking in the cam on his brand new 454 chevy, his day was not so good. It seems milk may do a body good, but not an engine. Point being, I think all brands can fail, if your olds is running good then let it be. My boat is 29 years old, turns 4500 rpms, and only on its second 455. Good luck

MikeC
06-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Most of these fella's hit it on the head. If your just looking to have a good time and blast around the lake, a 455 no higher than 4700 rpms is all you'll need (as I did in my DayCruiser). Don't waist your time and money to fix something that is not broken and change it all to do the same thing. But I will say this, if you want to beat the pee out of er and make her happy, then go BBC. I've run allot of GM, but this is my first BBC and she runs 5800 rpms all freaken day!!!! Did I mention only a 2 bolt.
I couldn't imagine another GM Big Block trying that for long.
Like they said,
Good Luck,
MikeC

GlastronGuy
06-03-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by MikeC:
Most of these fella's hit it on the head. If your just looking to have a good time and blast around the lake, a 455 no higher than 4700 rpms is all you'll need (as I did in my DayCruiser). Don't waist your time and money to fix something that is not broken and change it all to do the same thing. But I will say this, if you want to beat the pee out of er and make her happy, then go BBC. I've run allot of GM, but this is my first BBC and she runs 5800 rpms all freaken day!!!! Did I mention only a 2 bolt.
I couldn't imagine another GM Big Block trying that for long.
Like they said,
Good Luck,
MikeC
Ya, but is it a "Real Jet Boat"? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif