PDA

View Full Version : Pump Sealer

uLtRADeNniS
12-17-2007, 11:52 AM
What silicone brand?

Jetaholic
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
What silicone brand?
Some will tell you that you use a marine grade silicone, but here's a money saving tip.
All marine grade silicone is is 100% silicone. You can get that at Home Depot a lot cheaper than you can buy marine grade for. GE make Silicone I and II. The difference being that one of them has a mildewcide in it (can't remember which one does).

uLtRADeNniS
12-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Some will tell you that you use a marine grade silicone, but here's a money saving tip.
All marine grade silicone is is 100% silicone. You can get that at Home Depot a lot cheaper than you can buy marine grade for. GE make Silicone I and II. The difference being that one of them has a mildewcide in it (can't remember which one does).
Cool thanks!

HammerDown
12-17-2007, 01:58 PM
What silicone brand?
Seal the pump...where?
Not the Bowl or Intake I hope, use the gaskets and slather on some white Lithium grease heavily...really;)
For the Transom to bowl seal/bead, I used the 3M product (I think)> 4200???

uLtRADeNniS
12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Seal the pump...where?
Not the Bowl or Intake I hope, use the gaskets and slather on some white Lithium grease heavily...really;)
For the Transom to bowl seal/bead, I used the 3M product (I think)> 4200???
Transom

VAMI
12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Duct tape works the best.:D

Cs19
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
GE window and door. home depot

HammerDown
12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Transom
Some silicones are not meant for extended under water use...as clearly marked on the label.
I think the 3M product 4200 I used was a urethane...?
Which ever product you choose, use it sparingly as any parts coated with adhesive/sealant can be a p.i.t.a. to remove if/when needed.

Heatseeker
12-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Use the GE stuff marked for bathroom use(either Silicone I or II, I can't remember either). It comes in a gold caulking tube. A thin bead will seal well and is easily removed. When I go to remove the transom adapter, I run a razor blade around the bowl and use a flat wedge(a good putty knife works well) all the way around at the transom and the adapter pops right off.

uLtRADeNniS
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Thank you!
Another question... Im really getting the moneys worth out of my bilgue pumps....My intake grate keeps coming loose. Marine Lock tite doesn't work. Help please.

sleekcrafter
12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Thank you!
Another question... Im really getting the moneys worth out of my bilgue pumps....My intake grate keeps coming loose. Marine Lock tite doesn't work. Help please.
Thru drill your loader bolt holes and tap the rest of the way thru. Then install longer bolts, and lock nuts on the top side.

BrendellaJet
12-18-2007, 06:38 AM
I used Boatlife(Rex carries it) The GE crap doesn't even compare.