PDA

View Full Version : Weights are IN!

Xerophobic
12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Well ok only one but still!
Customer is close to picking up his bare 21 tunnel so we got out the new crane scale and weighed it.
This boat is a "Lightweight FX" hull, the lightest of the 3 models we make.
Weight is hull, welded-in intake and race style rock grate.
<drum roll>
525 lbs
Let the comments fly lol
Cheers

VAMI
12-17-2007, 02:13 PM
hmmm, whats a standard one weigh? 30 40 lbs more

Sleeper CP
12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice :D
Lighter than I thought....what guage alloy ?
Sleeper CP
Big Inc Ford Lover:D

Xerophobic
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
We've advertised the standard tunnel as being 640 lbs for a while now and I want to verify that.
The lightweight 80 lbs lighter and the the FX lightweight 120 lbs lighter. So we appear to be right in line with what's been said for the past while in terms of the lightweight FX assuming the 640 to be accurate.
Whats most interesting about this weight is other than not being able to walk on the bow, the boat is actually still very strong. Of course if you stuff a roller wrong at 100 mph you're likely to push in the bow but the boat in general will still take heavy hits to the keel etc It will get you back to the trailer in almost all cases( if SHARP rocks are involved all bets are off lol)
We have several other bare tunnels kicking around right now and when the boys in the back have time to measure them I will add them here.
(We have to bring them inside overnite so we're not weighing 50 lbs of snow too LOL)
The boat measured today had a 3/8" keel, 0.063" deck, 0.125" air tunnels and 0.102" sides. (full specs below)
Cheers
Material spec
Keel 0.375 6061
Bow 0.160 5086
Air tunnels 0.160 5052
Sides 0.125 5052
Transom 0.125 5052
Deck 0.102 5052
Sponsons 0.160 5052
Lightweight Models
LW * LW FX **
Keel 0.375 0.375
Bow 0.160 0.125
Air tunnels 0.160 0.125
Sides 0.102 0.102
Transom 0.125 0.125
Deck 0.063 0.063
Sponsons 0.160 0.160

VAMI
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I think you need one sleeper.At least if you say you run a ford in a Eagle it will be ok then.:D

VAMI
12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Xero I think DHL is using my spoon to shovel snow with .I still have not got it.

Xerophobic
12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow that sucks I was about to ask you how you were making out installing it.
Do you have tracking info? I have no clue how long that normally takes.
:idea:
Ive heard they can be hard on hunks of aluminum at customs :rolleyes:

VAMI
12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I called bernie twice and has not heard back from dhl to track it.It mignt be considered a weapon of mass destruction crossing over to USA.I did get the bill from my credit card today.

Xerophobic
12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Yea and our shipping girl is in the middle of a move etc and hasn't been in much lately so thats probably not lightening his load. Bernie is a very busy guy as it is
Cheers

Sleeper CP
12-17-2007, 05:44 PM
I think you need one sleeper.At least if you say you run a ford in a Eagle it will be ok then.:D
hum.... at 525 lbs does that work out to be $58.00 per lb. :confused:
I do love those boat's though. A 21' open bow, but I would need a back seat.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

Wizard612
12-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Gee I was cleaning up around the house yesterday and found my old data plate from my Eliminator 19 Daytona from 1977 (no kidding) and the plate said 600 lbs for the bare hull. I thought that those alum. hulls were feather weights but tough. I guess tough still holds true...

VAMI
12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
19 foot vs 21 foot and more freeboard thats pretty light.

jet4fun
12-17-2007, 11:32 PM
pics?

Cs19
12-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Thats light for a 21 ft. boat. Very cool.

jet4fun
12-18-2007, 12:32 AM
i dont have the balls to do it. but how come nobody has ever tried to run an aluminum boat at the boat drags? there always seems to be a lot of debate about how superior these boats are to the fiberglass boats. but yet the only place i have ever really seen them run is in the river races that nobody will ever take a fiberglass boat to. so there has never really been a head to head comparison of the two. seems to me like there is a weight advatage here and can still be strong:confused: i dunno

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 07:13 AM
i dont have the balls to do it. but how come nobody has ever tried to run an aluminum boat at the boat drags? there always seems to be a lot of debate about how superior these boats are to the fiberglass boats. but yet the only place i have ever really seen them run is in the river races that nobody will ever take a fiberglass boat to. so there has never really been a head to head comparison of the two. seems to me like there is a weight advatage here and can still be strong:confused: i dunno
Dont be so sure! :D Its been done, just guys started to think there has to be a better way! lol
:eek:
http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/bradley_183.jpg
You gotta see the crap these guys are driving through on this DVD in a picklefork tunnel ! (looks like a Cougar ??)
Look at the AIR that guy has in the top right! LOL
http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/dscf0272_538.jpg
Cheers

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Gee I was cleaning up around the house yesterday and found my old data plate from my Eliminator 19 Daytona from 1977 (no kidding) and the plate said 600 lbs for the bare hull. I thought that those alum. hulls were feather weights but tough. I guess tough still holds true...
I think you sorta explained it in your own statement. While the FX boat mentioned "is" a lightweight boat its a lightweight boat by whitewater standards, it still has to survive the same race course any oither boat does. While I wouldnt say its on the utter limit of weight I doubt the extra performance gained by making it lighter would warrant the risk of damaging the hull.
Now if we went by a more drag racing standard of lightweight where the boat basically wouldnt survive a run that deviated much from a "normal pass" then it would be a different gameplan. A thinner keel may be possible but also take note here the lighter the sheets the more difficult the hull to fabricate. And I'd venture to say that difficulty goes up exponentially.
For how strong that hull is compared to a glass boat thats VERY light
(example: we've tried 0.102" transoms but found they didn't last very long and started cracking, but get this: they were doing that as a result of trailering!)
Cheers

VAMI
12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Santa brought my spoon today.

jet4fun
12-18-2007, 09:49 AM
k,:rolleyes: you got me one the fiberglass river boat. it was kinda just a generalization anyways. you proved my point.
so back to my original question. why doesnt someone build an aluminum drag boat?

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Get to work! and this time I want video of your results!....god knows we could use something up here to warm us up!
brrrrrrrrrrr
minus 13 this morning (8 degree's for you folks south of the border)

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
k,:rolleyes: you got me one the fiberglass river boat. it was kinda just a generalization anyways. you proved my point.
so back to my original question. why doesnt someone build an aluminum drag boat?
I have absolutly no clue lol
<shrugs>

jet4fun
12-18-2007, 10:06 AM
well all i ever hear is how superior the aluminum boats are to the fiberglass as far as weight to strength ratio. us morons down here in cali keep making these cracker jack lightweight boats out of fiberglass and some of them are on the verge of coming apart. i personally could care less about racing in river rapids and scraping the bottom all day. i am however interested in drag boat racing and river racing without hitting rocks or sandbars.
so how come nobody has ever attempted (as far as i know) to build an aluminum drag boat. seems to me like you could make an extremely lightweight boat that is much stronger than fglass. has anyone ever tried? i am going to be in the market for a new lightweight hull somtime in the future and maybe aluminum is a possibility. but i'm not gonna be the guinea pig, can't afford to do that.
by the way, pics?

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 10:31 AM
well all i ever hear is how superior the aluminum boats are to the fiberglass as far as weight to strength ratio. us morons down here in cali keep making these cracker jack lightweight boats out of fiberglass and some of them are on the verge of coming apart. i personally could care less about racing in river rapids and scraping the bottom all day. i am however interested in drag boat racing and river racing without hitting rocks or sandbars.
so how come nobody has ever attempted (as far as i know) to build an aluminum drag boat. seems to me like you could make an extremely lightweight boat that is much stronger than fglass. has anyone ever tried? i am going to be in the market for a new lightweight hull somtime in the future and maybe aluminum is a possibility. but i'm not gonna be the guinea pig, can't afford to do that.
by the way, pics?
I think you hit the nail on the head there. You're not willing to be the guineapig and Im sure thats a feeling shared by most guys. I see no reason why it shouldnt work, the boat dont care its just a boat no matter what its made from. The key is how light it can be without disintigrating.
The only other issue is these boats are "relatively" modern and since they last so long and are so easily repaired and really dont deteriorate you just dont find those ~$1000 used hulls lying around like you do with glass boats.
I'd love to see someone step up and try it, but understandably much like you we're also not about to build a hull that may sit here for ages waiting for a buyer.
Cheers
p.s. what are you wanting pictures of? The hull we weighed?

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Nothing you guys haven't seen before but here is the FX boat, as weighed.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF0261r.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF0262r.JPG
May even have been lighter if it wasn't dirty lol
Cheers

Jungle Boy
12-18-2007, 12:44 PM
James, Quit hanging boats and start fixing mine. Spring is coming and I'm going to be the first azzhole on it. Now get to work. New Years party in the shop. You around?

Xerophobic
12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
James, Quit hanging boats and start fixing mine. Spring is coming and I'm going to be the first azzhole on it. Now get to work. New Years party in the shop. You around?
Geeez we just got one more test for these guys, we're gonna do a "drop of doom" with this heap of crap green hull we got out back. :D :D :D
Show these guys how strong they are lol
Im not sure yet what Im doing for new years but you can bet if im around I'm there!
Was hopin one of the boys could build me a 17 X over the holidays but not sure it will get done till the new year. Better late than never!
Cheers