PDA

View Full Version : HB mag today

bead
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
is it me or was the jet,v-drive,and outboard tech missing in the new mag. and only 1 bad ass boat in the rear of the mag. hopefully they jus overlooked this and it will be in the march issue. :confused: hint hint.:)

Jetaholic
12-17-2007, 06:20 PM
is it me or was the jet,v-drive,and outboard tech missing in the new mag. and only 1 bad ass boat in the rear of the mag. hopefully they jus overlooked this and it will be in the march issue. :confused: hint hint.:)
Hot Boat has a magazine??? :D

jetboat
12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
i think since a few choice people were replaced at hot boat,there trying to find there nich again.i stoped buying the magizine myself and get moore info on these sites.

jrork
12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Yah, it's beautifully produced with lots of killer pictures, just of the wrong kind of boats for the gang here. Oh well, let's hope the rumor of some other guys stepping up and putting something together for the rest of us actually happens.
I will add though. That RaysonCraft is a very very nice boat. Congrats if you're on here somewhere......john

Goad
12-17-2007, 06:37 PM
i think i counted 3 boats under 24' in the entire magazine.
read the editors notes section....she mentions something about getting flack for not running a flatties section in last months issue...and saying they need content. I think that applies to us jetters too....
so ...unless we submit content, its not gunna satisfy us

bead
12-17-2007, 06:52 PM
they need to hire "Cyclone" back. whos with me ! CYCLONE ! CYCLONE!:D

beerjet
12-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah , just what they need . More flatties :rolleyes:
You'd be hard pressed to find a jet in the glossy pile of ass whip . :D
-beerjet-

Mrs.Racer277
12-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I noticed that myself.
:(

H20MOFO
12-17-2007, 07:45 PM
I didn't renew mine but I did ask for it for christmas:sqeyes: I thought the new owners did a pretty decent job with the dec-07 issue. my02 BTW is beer jet's avitar gettin better all the time? Duck huntin yeh right, looks like shoot and release to me!

Outlaw
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I wish they would put all the ads in one section
with tear away pages.
I know mags are there to sell advertising. but
they need some good content also.
my last issue reminded me a a Sharper Image catalog
and as far as submitting content did they trash everything
when it changed ownership??
BRING BACK READER RIDES

76 Bonneville
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
In the editers notes, it sounds like its turning into ***boat LITE, less girls but more tastefully done. Thats what happens when a chick takes over. We'll probably see topless guys and chicks in sweats. A page for jets and v drives in the back. I have a collection of Hot Boat mags. from 1986, and currently have 2 subs., 1 for home and 1 for work, could all be coming to an end. Just like Powerboat abandoned us in the early 90's. Looks like history is repeating itself.:mad: :( :mad: :(

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2007, 08:31 PM
I was going to subscribe but I dont want to look at all them boats that are 1/2 the price of a house:yuk: Why dont they get thier heads out of thier asses????:confused: Jets and flatties started "***boat" How can they forget thier roots:confused: I like big boats and those ads bring $$$ BUT so do jets and flatties. Just not as much :(

Outlaw
12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=76 Bonneville;2948889]In the editers notes, it sounds like its turning into ***boat LITE, less girls but more tastefully done. Thats what happens when a chick takes over.
Are you sure you didnt mean Cosmoboatin

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Hot Boat has a magazine??? :D
I knew that was comming :D :D : D

jet4fun
12-17-2007, 11:06 PM
they need to hire "Cyclone" back. whos with me ! CYCLONE ! CYCLONE!:D
gnaw, he can bearlee spel

TIMINATOR
12-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Jet tech will be back, the current issues submission was lost by e-mail, other small boat and engine articles will be back too, there is much confusion with having a lot less staff people, they are doing the best they can. Give it a few months. E-mail me with requests for articles. I also don't have time to be on here much, so e-mail or phone calls are everyones best bet to reach me. It will get better! TIMINATOR

bp
12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
read the editors notes section....she mentions something about getting flack for not running a flatties section in last months issue...and saying they need content. I think that applies to us jetters too....
goad, i think you might want to re-read that young ladies editorial. the editor stated: "we received a lot of hype about not running the flatbottom section, and here's my explanation; we only want to run [I]quality boats in this magazine. if we don't we won't. So if you have a [I]high quality flatbottom drop me a line....".
first, it was never a "flatbottom" section (and this is the "managing editor").
second, what is her definition of a "quality" boat? must be >30', cost >150k?
third, where's an article about the world finals? the parker marathon? perhaps the new regime doesn't consider those "hot boats"? or "quality" boats? or events worth mentioning? maybe the name should be changed to "pokerboat"???
as long as i've hung on to the subscription, this is a new low, in that there is nothing in this magazine of any interest to me. i could get tons more info browsing a summit catalog. HotRod is more in tune with my boating interest than this.
congrats to v-drivevideo for all those nice shots of boats floating:rolleyes:

GAWnCA
12-18-2007, 11:39 AM
There's the problem. SHE only thinks a boat is one that costs several hundred thousand dollars and worth the coverage. They/SHE always has content for these boats.

Goad
12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
goad, i think you might want to re-read that young ladies editorial. the editor stated: "we received a lot of hype about not running the flatbottom section, and here's my explanation; we only want to run [I]quality boats in this magazine. if we don't we won't. So if you have a [I]high quality flatbottom drop me a line....".
first, it was never a "flatbottom" section (and this is the "managing editor").
second, what is her definition of a "quality" boat? must be >30', cost >150k?
third, where's an article about the world finals? the parker marathon? perhaps the new regime doesn't consider those "hot boats"? or "quality" boats? or events worth mentioning? maybe the name should be changed to "pokerboat"???
as long as i've hung on to the subscription, this is a new low, in that there is nothing in this magazine of any interest to me. i could get tons more info browsing a summit catalog. HotRod is more in tune with my boating interest than this.
I was just trying to get people to do something about it rather then bitch.....trust me, i agree with you.....they rather cover $150k+ boats floating in a cove doing an event that doesnt require any talent.
we did 2 historical events lately (ran circles with the njba and first apba compjet race in 20+ years) and they are blind to it....not to mention all the events you referred to.
they might as well put the sandbar drama into print too :rolleyes:
ive read some hints of rumors of someone starting up a more 'grass roots' driven mag....to who ever you are, you have my support 100%, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I am all about giving the people what they want.
but i must say the quality of the mag (not content) is much nicer...i could tell the second i pulled it from the mailbox......hopefully they will turn it around and get the content back on track as timinator said.

bp
12-18-2007, 12:32 PM
not bitching so much as disappointed. i agree that the wider pages and "quality" of the print are a marginal improvement, but who thought the previous editions were deficient in that area. compared to my '80s copies, yes, improvement in that area is significant. but the '80s issues actually included articles of interest.

LandSpeedRacer
12-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I have to say I just bought the latest issue of Hot Rod . . . . the first time in years . . . . BECAUSE they had an older boat in there and the caption said something like "Hot Rods don't need wheels to be in Hot Rod" . . . . maybe this is a sign that they are looking for different material instead of Camaro's and Mustang's. Nothing wrong with either, but if I start seeing jets and v-drives or boating events covered in there I will subscribe.
After reading this thread I cant wait to get my new HB:rolleyes: :sleeping: :(
Scott

1978 Rogers
12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=76 Bonneville;2948889]In the editers notes, it sounds like its turning into ***boat LITE, less girls but more tastefully done. Thats what happens when a chick takes over.
Are you sure you didnt mean Cosmoboatin
My thoughts exactly. How old is the editor? She looks like she's in her mid 20's. What does she know, other than riding around on daddy's boat as a kid.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Care to elaborate on this Bob? :confused:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I was just trying to get people to do something about it rather then bitch.....trust me, i agree with you.....they rather cover $150k+ boats floating in a cove doing an event that doesnt require any talent.
we did 2 historical events lately (ran circles with the njba and first apba compjet race in 20+ years) and they are blind to it....not to mention all the events you referred to.
they might as well put the sandbar drama into print too :rolleyes:
ive read some hints of rumors of someone starting up a more 'grass roots' driven mag....to who ever you are, you have my support 100%, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I am all about giving the people what they want.
but i must say the quality of the mag (not content) is much nicer...i could tell the second i pulled it from the mailbox......hopefully they will turn it around and get the content back on track as timinator said.
I agree Brad. Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Morgan last night along with some pics including the one below. So far no response. I'll give it a few days before dismissing.
Hello Morgan,
I wish you guys the best with the new endeavor and hope to see "normal" size lake boats return to the pages of ***boat. Don't get me wrong, I understand the market and how things are run but, in the circles I run in, these huge 24 + foot ocean/lake boats are boring. They're like riding in a school bus compared to a corvette.
If you park a brand new 30 ft dcb next to any of the boats I attached below at say the next John Force car show, you'll see the flatbottoms receiving the majority of the attention. The average Joe may not want to own a flattbottom ( scared, or can't handle a few bumps, or not mechanically capable etc) but everyone wants to see them.
I freelance offshore races for the TV production sometimes and nobody (spectators) shows up to those races! The racers even pay for the tv production. Go to a big dragboat race and you'll see a crowd.
I litterally have thousands of friends who share my perspective (and passion) for the roots and cutting edge of true "***boating". My business thrives from this culture.
I didn't renew my subscription nor will I until ***boat starts making a consorted effort at showcasing the top of the boating foodchain as it relates to horsepower speed and beauty.
The worlds quickest boats are 18 feet long and reach 260 mph in 4.5 seconds. Only Ken Warby's "Spirit of Australia is faster (not quicker) and he'd be sitting at the bar alone if you rounded up the rest of the guys "living"who have set speed records using jet fighter aircraft engines.
When you're ready for the "baddest" ***boats, look me up.
Sincerely,
- Jerry Griffin
V-Drive Video Productions
I'm probably one of the biggest skeptics but at least I make an effort.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10365DSC01247.JPG

Outlaw
12-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I wish you would have mentioned JET BOATS.
all they need to do is look at the Forum count
Just Jets is second only to the Sandbar.
I started getting HB when a 21 was a large boat.:idea:

cave
12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Here comes the NEW Boss Same as the OLD Boss.
Awe man so I like the Who. I guess the new owners
didn't read any of the threads on Hot Boat forums.
I was really hoping to re subscribe. Specialty mags like
this shouldn't alienate the "smaller boats" We all spend the
same money on engines & specialty products. Its the extra
fiberglass that separates us. I hope she reads this thread
but I'm sure she has better things to do.
I know many on here that have smaller boats with engines
that blow away any of the 30+ boat motors.
Those motors weren't cheap. probably more than she knows
just in polishing. Sad thing is if this mag fails this whole
adventure will go away. So I hope they get their Shizzel together.
I have yet to see the new format. I have no need to look at hi roller
boats when I can see that at our local lake every day in Summer.
But you see a clean V drive or jet rumble up and many come
over to check em out.
HB mag would be very lucky to have V drive video or Cyclone on there staff

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I wish you would have mentioned JET BOATS.
all they need to do is look at the Forum count
Just Jets is second only to the Sandbar.
I started getting HB when a 21 was a large boat.:idea:
You don't need me to represent you... her e-mail is morgan@***boat.com

firstjetinMN
12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
I will give them some credit for the larger pics and the higher quality of the paper it is printed on...... now lets see JET BOATS...... flatbottoms?
Man they need to at least get the lingo down.....
HB is pandering to a bunch of yuppies who are going to get screwed when the stock market goes down further.....Then they will be selling there boats for a dime on the dollar and the working man will be sitting in his garage having a beer and polishing up his old jet or v-drive boat.....having the last laugh
Long live jets and v-drives!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
HB mag would be very lucky to have V drive video or Cyclone on there staff
Thanks Cave!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-18-2007, 06:02 PM
I will give them some credit for the larger pics and the higher quality of the paper it is printed on...... now lets see JET BOATS...... flatbottoms?
Man they need to at least get the lingo down.....
HB is pandering to a bunch of yuppies who are going to get screwed when the stock market goes down further.....Then they will be selling there boats for a dime on the dollar and the working man will be sitting in his garage having a beer and polishing up his old jet or v-drive boat.....having the last laugh
Long live jets and v-drives!
You could be right. And don't forget, Powerboat mag already caters to the same crowd! You would think they would go after the untapped market.:confused:

sstjet
12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
What is ***boat Magazine? :confused:

Goad
12-18-2007, 06:52 PM
i dont understand why people continue to say this....its getting old :rolleyes:

4604me
12-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I think Ill pass on my subscription also. I understand thay have to pay the bills, but I would like to see more than one page, on the old school boats we all love

76 Bonneville
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
It's Powerboats Magazines little sister.