PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a split foot throttle for twins?

mondorally
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
We're re-doing the controls for the 27' (twin small blocks) and are considering this to replace the hand throttles:
http://www.incontrolequipment.com/images/202FTR.jpg
Anyone use one? Easy to use? How is it in the rough? Do you prefer hand throttles? Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Justin

SummitKarl
03-07-2006, 03:55 PM
We're re-doing the controls for the 27' (twin small blocks) and are considering this to replace the hand throttles:
http://www.incontrolequipment.com/images/202FTR.jpg
Anyone use one? Easy to use? How is it in the rough? Do you prefer hand throttles? Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Justin
anything that frees up your hands to help control the boat is a good thing in my eyes. maybe it's just the CAR thing in me, but the foot controls the gas and the hand shifts the gears...just what makes me comfortable :)

BADBLOWN572
03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I have driven a twin outboard cat with them and I did not like it what so ever. It seemed like it was very difficult to keep both engines at a certain RPM without rolling your foot one direction or the other. Additionally, I found that the throttle return springs were very stiff. Personally I will take a hand throttle any day over the split foot throttles. Just my .02

mondorally
03-07-2006, 04:04 PM
anything that frees up your hands to help control the boat is a good thing in my eyes. maybe it's just the CAR thing in me, but the foot controls the gas and the hand shifts the gears...just what makes me comfortable :)
I've prefer foot throttles as well - but I was always driving single engine boats in the past. Not sure how this would work with twin engines.

OGShocker
03-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I put my trim tabs on that set up. I doesn't make me feel safer, but it freaks the fuk outta the passengers. :rollside:

mondorally
03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I have driven a twin outboard cat with them and I did not like it what so ever. It seemed like it was very difficult to keep both engines at a certain RPM without rolling your foot one direction or the other. Additionally, I found that the throttle return springs were very stiff. Personally I will take a hand throttle any day over the split foot throttles. Just my .02
Thanks for the input. Experiences are what I'm looking for.
Justin

LUVNLIFE
03-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Shooting you a PM. :)

mondorally
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Shooting you a PM. :)
Got it. Thanks!
Justin

LakeTrash
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I tried the twin foot and found it to be worthless and a pain in the "foot". Connect both engines to a standard hotfoot. Works like a charm. This is the last one we did and it had all three connected together.
http://airmasterstab.com/Wheelie-2.jpg
LT

mondorally
03-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I tried the twin foot and found it to be worthless and a pain in the "foot". Connect both engines to a standard hotfoot. Works like a charm. This is the last one we did and it had all three connected together.
http://airmasterstab.com/Wheelie-2.jpg
LT
Any problems starting the motors (first starts ok, by the time you get to the third its flooded, etc) when they're all hooked together? What about control around the docks?
Justin

LakeTrash
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Fuel injected motors so flooding was not an issue. Takes a little work to get all the throttles synced. Only ran the outside motors for docking. The center was locked in forward and only cranked when it was time to get it on.
The engines were 300 drags which are the most tempermental of all the Mercs and it was still pretty user friendly. Serious quick too.
LT

Jordy
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I've got the hand throttles in mine as well as the split foot and I use the foot 99% of the time. Much quicker response to come out of the throttle if need be. Granted it takes some getting used to in order to run them at the same RPM but I had them balanced on a regular basis in about 15 minutes. It's not rocket science.

gearcase
03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
boatmasters just installed that set up for us in a 28 skater 300x motors have not run it yet should be intresting. 6 month insurance layup and its not gettin wet tell june