PDA

View Full Version : Re-sleeving BBC???

SGettmann
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Does anyone have any experience with re-sleeving a BBC and running it with success? This is one option for putting together a 502 BBC with a Gentry Turbo System. I know the quality engine builders want to start with all fresh stuff, but I'm trying to do this on a budget to get her back in the water. (I know, what am I doing with a Gentry Turbo if I'm on a budget). Anyway, wanted some feedback. My spinning assembly looks good, but will work with my existing block. If I get a new block, then I'll need new pistons, etc. Your thoughts?
There was some good info on RedRocker's thread on getting ahold of engine parts on a budget - may need to look into this.
Oh, the reason for the re sleeving - didn't get all the water out of my block and freeze plugs popped and it got cylinder #4 - a small micro crack. :mad: I get the jack ass award of the season for this one, but atleast I know where my low point drain plugs on the block are now.

flat broke
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Sean,
What bore does the block need to be for your old pistons to work? Tall deck or std? I would think it shouldn't be too hard to find a useable block with all 8 cylinders in good shape to use instead of going the sleeve route.
There are probably lots of opinions both ways with regard to the sleeve, but also remember that you are enlisting the services of a professional who believes in his way of doing things based upon his experiences. If he has made a recommendation, you may want to pay some creedance to that. IMHO, there isn't much point in paying someone for their expertise and then turning around and telling them how you want things done. Listen to Alexi on this one and I think that you'll be happy in the long run, even if it means waiting a little longer to get back on the water.
Chris

Moneypitt
03-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I have no problem with a sleeve in a N/A engine. However the turbo deal is something I have zero experience with. Maybe pick up another block as mentioned above, and sleeve and use the other one down the road in a N/A engine, so it's not a total loss...........MP

GofastRacer
03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I would not sleeve a BBC(stock block) unless it's for a daily driver, the deck is too thin and with any amount of compression and running high rpm's the deck will split to the closest head bolt hole, wasted money twice lerning that lesson!.. :mad:

SK48
03-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm not familiar with where Moscow Id. is, but if I were in your state,
I would talk to Larry Decker at Decker's machine shop in Jerome Id.
He has been building race motors for more years than I can count. His
machine shop is as high tech as anything I've seen in Southern Calif.

BIG TIME
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
There Is Only One Problem Sleevin A Bbc.......it Leaves 7 Other Holes Less That Acceptable.

Fiat48
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Done it with mixed results. Unblown lasted a couple seasons. Blown alcohol lasted a couple passes. It's rather a gamble.

469 the coyote
03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I have done it on two of my race motors. The new motor has 14.5 to 1 and makes over 900 HP. Use a good sleeve, no cheap ones. Joey Grose did all the work. Yours will be more than fine to sleeve, since there is no big hole like my block had. If you have a good sleeve and a good machine shop do the work it will last and be fine.

FlatStupid
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Joey WHO??????????????????????????? :skull:

SGettmann
03-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. Getting ahold of a block with the same bore might be the best solution. My spinning assembly is in good shape, though it's nothing super high end. Pistons look in good shape and are reusable, I'll need to look at the size. The block only had 1 cut on it from what I recall. Everything is down in Paso Robles, sitting in my dad's barn on a stand. There's a few machinists in the are with good reputation, so I will ask their opinions, but I was interested in getting feedback from anyone that had experience on re-sleeving. Sounds like a gamble (few passes or a few seasons). I would love to have Alexi do the work, which I was very impressed with the shop, but until I move up in pay scale, I'm not at that point in my financial bracket. I also don't question Alexi's professional judgement, since he has lots of experience building quality motors. I'm not a big fan of being on a budget and having to make choices, but who is? Just looking for alternatives and this was very helpful. Thanks.

DansBlown73Nordic
03-10-2006, 02:31 AM
I have been running a Blown 454 with four sleeves.They are all on one side. So far I have never had a problem. About 10 psi. boost...

BIG TIME
03-10-2006, 06:23 PM
if the sleeve is installed correctly....its better than a stock block...just think most diesels and all alum blocks have sleeves.....

DansBlown73Nordic
03-11-2006, 01:59 AM
If done correct you will never have a problem. I bought my motor and found the sleeves later. :crossx:

Roaddogg 4040
03-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I had a 427" (440) with three sleeves and ran the snot out of it for two years with no problems but it was not a blown set up, just a tunnel ram dealieo. Good luck with your project...
Steve

FASTRAT
03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
i ran a 364" SBC injected on nitro (B/FD) back in the '70's with 3 sleeves & never had any probs...as mentioned...if done rite...i see n/p
fastrat