PDA

View Full Version : Question for Camera people....Help.....

Sleeper CP
12-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I need to invest in a new camera, I'm going to get a Digital SLR I kind of
narrowed it down to a Pentax K100D or a Nikon D40x.(My Christmas present)
I have had very good luck with both brands with my SLR's from the past 30 years of picture taking. I haven't been in the mood for about the last 7 years to take as many pictures as I used to. This will actually be my first digital other than my wife's little Nikon.
My current Nikon N65 has a 28-200 lens that I love. Am I looking at big buck's for that type of lens for the Digital SLR ?
Any "good" info would be appreciated. :)
Thanks
Sleeper CP
Big Inc Ford Lover:D

Jungle Boy
12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I bought the Nikon D40x about a year ago and it is great. I have since recommended it to 3 other friends and they have all liked the choice. Get the big/fast card and enjoy.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
The Nikon if ya have the Dough, and COSTCO had the best deal on them last we looked.

jjk94
12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
You can get the D80 and most likely use all of your old lenses. The D40 can use the old lense but will not autofocus

Baja Big Dog
12-18-2007, 02:06 PM
The Cuz just bought the Nikon from Costco rents, nice camera, way short compared to the Canon 40D or 30D.:D
But alot cheaper...

Garrddogg
12-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I just got the D40 and love it

Strippoker
12-18-2007, 02:15 PM
im a major cannon user but go with the d40 cant go wrong seeing how your lens will all match up.

Tom Brown
12-18-2007, 02:21 PM
The Cuz just bought the Nikon from Costco rents, nice camera, way short compared to the Canon 40D or 30D.
... and the 40D is junk compared to the 1Ds m. III.
Who cares? That comparison is completely silly.
Both cameras are excellent. There isn't a bad dSLR offering on the market at the moment, in my opinion.
If you want a fast camera for sports and action shots, the Nikon D40x is a better camera. It has a few more megapixels that you want but don't need, too.
The Pentax has more dynamic range than the D40x. If you care about low light photography, the D40x is not in the same league. For daylight outdoor shots, there will be no noticeable difference.
None of these factors are relevant. Forget which camera to buy. Buy the lens system you want and get the body to match.
I love my Pentax dSLRs and have no interest in changing but I would suggest you stay with Canon or Nikon, unless you know what you want. If you like primes, Pentax has some very interesting options. If you need some really long focal lengths, stay with Canon or Nikon.
Again... dSLRs are disposable. Before you try to argue that, who is still running a dSLR that's more than 5 years old? The bodies are disposable. The lenses are not. Choose a lens system and then get the body you like best.

Pete454
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Check out Broadway Photo. com.
best prices I have found.

Baja Big Dog
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
... and the 40D is junk compared to the 1Ds m. III.
Who cares? That comparison is completely silly.
Both cameras are excellent. There isn't a bad dSLR offering on the market at the moment, in my opinion.
If you want a fast camera for sports and action shots, the Nikon D40x is a better camera. It has a few more megapixels that you want but don't need, too.
The Pentax has more dynamic range than the D40x. If you care about low light photography, the D40x is not in the same league. For daylight outdoor shots, there will be no noticeable difference.
None of these factors are relevant. Forget which camera to buy. Buy the lens system you want and get the body to match.
I love my Pentax dSLRs and have no interest in changing but I would suggest you stay with Canon or Nikon, unless you know what you want. If you like primes, Pentax has some very interesting options. If you need some really long focal lengths, stay with Canon or Nikon.
Again... dSLRs are disposable. Before you try to argue that, who is still running a dSLR that's more than 5 years old? The bodies are disposable. The lenses are not. Choose a lens system and then get the body you like best.
This is an invitation to all that have the "junk" 40D's to send them to me!!!! I would much rather toss around my 40D and 30D insetead of my 1D, I can throw away three 40D's compared to one one 1DIII, and my needs dont require the features of the 1D.
And yes, and fricken 5 year old DSLR's is out of date now a days...that sucks!!!:D

Tom Brown
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM
This is an invitation to all that have the "junk" 40D's to send them to me!!!!
If I had one, you could have it. :D
Hey... I've not used a 40D yet but I've spent some time behind a 30D and I had a 20D for a while. I enjoy the entire Canon dSLR line, right down to the little Rebel XT. I've seen some serious photography done with an XT.
The difference in image quality between a Canon 5D and the lowest end eVolt is shockingly small under most circumstances. Any dSLR can take great pictures. The performance differences are only of interest to professionals and hard core amateurs. Casual users who buy pimp cameras are only benefiting from the bling aspect and, even then, that benefit only lasts about 5 minutes until the next great new body comes along.
Here's a shot taken with my K100D. It's a near-night shot with over 1 second exposuresand ISO 800. I've always lusted the 5D because of it's noise profile but the K100D is almost identical, in terms of dynamic range and low noise performance.
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/pano-wascana-ss.jpg

Sleeper CP
12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
You can get the D80 and most likely use all of your old lenses. The D40 can use the old lense but will not autofocus
Thanks to all for the info , much appreciated.
The use of two lenses that I already have may make the choice easier.:)
Thanks for this info.
If I had one, you could have it. :D
Hey... I've not used a 40D yet but I've spent some time behind a 30D and I had a 20D for a while. I enjoy the entire Canon dSLR line, right down to the little Rebel XT. I've seen some serious photography done with an XT.
The difference in image quality between a Canon 5D and the lowest end eVolt is shockingly small under most circumstances. Any dSLR can take great pictures. The performance differences are only of interest to professionals and hard core amateurs. Casual users who buy pimp cameras are only benefiting from the bling aspect and, even then, that benefit only lasts about 5 minutes until the next great new body comes along.
Here's a shot taken with my K100D. It's a near-night shot with over 1 second exposuresand ISO 800. I've always lusted the 5D because of it's noise profile but the K100D is almost identical, in terms of dynamic range and low noise performance.
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/pano-wascana-ss.jpg
Brown thanks for the info. That is a beautiful picture. If I go the Nikon route
I just need to get the highest pixel count I can afford, it would seem?
Edit : Brown the K100D is 10.2 MP (mega pixels) ?
Thanks again to all the posted with info.
Sleeper CP:D

Baja Big Dog
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks to all for the info , much appreciated.
The use of two lenses that I already have may make the choice easier.:)
Thanks for this info.
Brown thanks for the info. That is a beautiful picture. If I go the Nikon route
I just need to get the highest pixel count I can afford, it would seem?
Thanks again to all the posted with info.
Disagree, its not a pixel count battle, some of the little pocket cameras do 10 plus, not many people need wall size prints.
Go for the features, Tom likes the noise issues, I like the fast turn on times, and the rapid fire capabilities, I need a camera to be ready to shoot right now, and be able to take more action shots to filter through to get the picture that I want. It all depends on the type of pictures you are gonna take. Ill take a 30D, and a 40D to the desert with different lens to be ready for any shots that come by!!

Sleeper CP
12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Baja Thanks,
But is there a huge difference between a 6.1 to 10.2 mega pixel picture say
like a Hydro at Firebird shot from 60 yards away with a 200 mm lens ?
Or is it to small of a difference to not worry about ?
Nikon D40 6.1 MP or Nikon D40x 10.2 MP

77charger
12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Baja Thanks,
But is there a huge difference between a 6.1 to 10.2 mega pixel picture say
like a Hydro at Firebird shot from 60 yards away with a 200 mm lens ?
Or is it to small of a difference to not worry about ?
Nikon D40 6.1 MP or Nikon D40x 10.2 MP
I still havea 10d which is a 6.3 pixel and a 20d which is a 8.1 pixel On 13x19 print no real noticable difference,Glass is everything on canons get L glass you will see the difference in sharpness.
Also knowing how to use the camera is another plus there are alot of peeps buying dslrs these days who "think they need a 40d" when they only leave the camera in auto mode.And wonder my my 10d with L glass gets better pictures.1400 dollar cameras and 100 dollar lense go figure
I aint familiar with nikons and their equivelent lenses.but get one that can use all the good nikon lenses like the upper models so if you do upgrade in the future.

Pete454
12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Taken with a Canon 1D MK II, sigma 50-500 zoom
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/freddytwm3.jpg
Taken with a Canon Rebel xt same lense
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/Key%20west%20sunday/IMG_0869.jpg

Pete454
12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Canon rebel as well
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/Sothern%20Nationals%202007/Southern%20Nationals%202007/TFH02-1.jpg