PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new boat

boatlessd
02-22-2002, 11:09 AM
I am in the market for a new 23' boat. I want a model that I can take in the ocean to Catalina and offshore, but also sporty enough for the river/lake. Best case scenario, it needs to also fit in my garage (total length 25'). I have looked at the Ultra 23xs and the Eliminator 23 Eagle. Any advice and other suggestions.
Thanks

roln 20s
02-22-2002, 12:32 PM
If you are interested in a boat in that size range- take a look at Howard. Their 220 Bowrider has a great V and their workmanship is top notch. Great people to deal with. The performance of that boat is great also- i've seen them handle some super rough water in havasu and powell- but not sure how any boat of this size would stack up traveling to catalina. The boats you mentioned- the Eliminator and Ultra are really nice boats also. I was very impressed with Ultra's work, reputation and people-GREAT boat, especially for the money. Good luck in your search!
Roln20s
Note: I do not own any of these brands, just really like them and have visited the showrooms/factories frequently!

JimK
02-22-2002, 02:14 PM
We took our 22 foot Howard bowrider to Catalina. Its hull has a pretty deep-V, lots of freeboard and never felt "too small" in the Catalina Channel. It handled the big lakes (Mead and Powell) just great, even when others were having a bit of a tough time. Just some input from a happy owner. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Infomaniac
02-22-2002, 02:23 PM
boatlessd My 21' boat won't fit in a 25' Garage. The outdrive and trailer prevent it.

spectras only
02-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Boatlessd ,You'll have a hard time finding 23 footer that would fit in a 25' garage,unless you cut a hole in the garage door for the trailer tongue.I wouldn't go any less in size than a 22 Donzi ZX ,or Scarab to go to catalina.If you choose a swingaway tongue trailer ,you'll still have a problem with the S/D sticking out.The only boat that would fit in your 25' garage is a 22 23 foot V-drive model without swimgrid.Check Howard or Hallett for V-drive models ,or the other models mentioned above.

RumRunner
02-24-2002, 05:40 AM
My garage is 27' from the back wall, to the double door. I can fit my 25' Sunsation in there. (VERY tight!!!) I do put it on a slight angle.

2prop
02-24-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey Rumrunner i saw a 32' Sunsation at a boat show , what is your thought on this boat , it really looks good, i like the new paint scheme,i am in the market for somthing new and thought about ,Sunsation,Powerquest,ect,any feedback is helpful, i like 30' plus size boats for the comfort aspect,,,,

1stepcloser
02-26-2002, 01:29 PM
I have a 230 eagle, I love it! Never been in the ocean, (salt water is bad juju for all the aluminum) But it handles the worst Holiday weekends at havasu with relative comfort. plenty of interior room, great handling and (I think) a darn nice lookin' boat. Wont fit in my garage though, with the trailer tounge and the outdrive it comes in at just under 26'. I have a full canopy "house" on the rv pad though that does a pretty good job of keeping the elements out.

Sunsation Kirk
02-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Hey 2prop I have a 32' Sunsation, It's a great boat, One of the reasons I wen't with the Sunsation is their customer service, It's second to none. I had some trouble with my previous boat, and wasn't happy with the way I was treated. So this time around Customer service was one of my top requirements.
The boat itself is awesome, the glass work is some of the best in the industry. I would recomend going with the McLeod interior if you get a Sunsation. The power bolsters are very comfortable, sitting or standing, and the moulded foot rests are in the perfect location for both. The steering wheel and throttels are located just wright as well, at least for me. It's a very comfortable boat to be behind the wheel of.
Performance is great 78-80 with the 496 Mags (375 HP) 80+ with the HO's (425 HP) Acceleration is great, but more importantly (at least to me) you can cruise comfortable between 50-60 MPH. If you have any more question feel free to e-mail me. If you get a chance you chould take a tour of the factory.
Check out their website www.sunsationboat.com (http://www.sunsationboats.com) You should send David Hare an e-mail ( his adress is on the web page) tell him what you are interested in, he'll send you some info no sales pressure either. He is a great guy. Good Luck
If you do deside to go with a Sunsation give Ryan at Premier Motorsports 616-792-8080 he is another first class guy. Tell him I gave you his name and number.
Kirk
[This message has been edited by Sunsation Kirk (edited February 28, 2002).]

Sunsation Kirk
02-28-2002, 07:55 AM
www.sunsationboats.com (http://www.sunsationboats.com)