http://www.waterskiamerica.net/uploads/Surfs_up.wmv

ROZ
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
very cool, thanks!

NautiTwins
03-09-2006, 07:48 AM
www.waterskiamerica.
http://www.waterskiamerica.net/uploads/Surfs_up.wmv
Very cool! Has anyone here tried this? Could I use 9 foot surf Board?

HCS
03-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Parts of that were pretty funny. :cool:

gqchris
03-11-2006, 05:17 PM
That looks way cool. Im just curious, any chance of Carbon Monoxide poisoning being so close back to the transom like Teak Surfing?

Troubles No More
03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
That looks way cool. Im just curious, any chance of Carbon Monoxide poisoning being so close back to the transom like Teak Surfing?
With teak surfing, your head is right at the end of the boat sucking up the exhaust.
I have not heard of any problems with wake surfing as I think you are far enough away from the end of the boat.

Riomouse911
03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Most wake surfing boards are 5'6" to 6' or so because they are more maneuverable on the little "waves" our boats make. I haven't seen anyone long board it, but anything is possible with a bit of effort...

NautiTwins
03-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Most wake surfing boards are 5'6" to 6' or so because they are more maneuverable on the little "waves" our boats make. I haven't seen anyone long board it, but anything is possible with a bit of effort...
I talked with the girl at the boat shop yesterday and she was telling me it is hard to do this with a board much over 6 feet because you can not get the board to the right spot on the wake. I am trying to find a board that I can use this coming weekend. The problem is that I am 250 pounds and do not think a smaller board is going to support the weight at such low speeds.
Any thoughts on this?

wright27
03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I love wakesurfing. Before I sold my supreme I did it all the time. I would rather wakesurf than board. After about 20 min. back there I would start to get a headache. I would just chill for a bit and go back out. I have the white hyperlite board not sure of the exact size, I think it is like 4'9". My buddie weighs about 200 lbs and could do it on my board but prefered a larger board it made it alot easier for him.

wright27
03-16-2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12121&stc=1
here is my board 4'9"

riverroyal
03-19-2006, 09:58 AM
those guys were good,Im taking the longboard next time,ive only used my landlock board,time to go longer on the board

Riomouse911
03-19-2006, 09:58 PM
The 6' boards should work fine for a 250 pound rider, but it might bog a bit on the start. Why not give the long board a try, then try the shorter one.
After I blew my knees up I quit wakeboarding, and now I just wakeskate.. and if I can get my 180 pounds out on the end to hang 10 on a Cassette I am sure you'll be ripping on a 6' wakesurfer in no time... :)

john f2000
03-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I started wake surfing because of my knee. I have a 6' 1'' board and have been trying behind a 22 tige and have not yet been able to let go of the rope. I am able to get the tension low enough to hold on with two fingers but when I let go I cant stay in the wake. Any ideas?

wright27
03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
I started wake surfing because of my knee. I have a 6' 1'' board and have been trying behind a 22 tige and have not yet been able to let go of the rope. I am able to get the tension low enough to hold on with two fingers but when I let go I cant stay in the wake. Any ideas?
I had a 23 ft supreme. Every boat is different, but here was my deal. I would have the boat speed at 8 mph to 9 mph the speed is very important. If you have a ballast fill it. Put people on the back and the side you want to ride on. This will make the wake even bigger, and will help with learning. The biggest mistake I see people make on the water is they are all to far from the back of the boat. You need to be close. The better you get the more of the wake you will be able to use. When I first started the nose of my board would be inches from the swim step even at time touching the step. Play with the rope pull yourself in and let yourself out find the spot where you feel the board pick up speed. I would have someone one the back of the boat and would throw them the rope, when I would start to lose it I would have them throw it back to me, helped with turning the boat around so often. Board position is important also. Standing more forward will gain speed with pressure on your front foot, while pressure on the back foot will slow you down.

Riomouse911
03-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Ya, we'd fill a fat sac and slide it to the riders favorite side for extra weight if we were riding with less than 3 in the boat. Most surfing is done within a few feet of the teak, (thats probably the main reason the boards max at 6' or so, when you turn there's no impact on the boat or step) and you can easily toss the rope back to the rider from the boat. Oh, and make sure your rope tender is sitting IN the boat, not on the step or the transom. CA-AZ water LEO have been dinging folks for sitting on the transom/gunnels of moving boats the past year, even when docking.

NautiTwins
03-28-2006, 06:55 AM
I still have yet to try this, however I did speak to my ski shop about it. She was saying that you not only weight down the back but the entire side of the riders choice. It puts more of the hull in the water. Also she said when you are first starting out it helps if the driver puts the boat into a little bit of a turn into the rider, this will help the wake become steeper and bigger. Not a sharp turn but just enough to notice the difference in the wake. I got my board this past weekend. So I will be trying this out shortly.
If anyone else has any good pointers, that would be helpful please chime in here.

wanna B V
04-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I was too cheap to go and buy a wake surfer, so I dug out my old 8'3" tri fin. It worked great, but it took some talent to get up on it. Just dont do it behind a stern or outboard....could be bad juju!!!!

slovolvo
04-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Check out http://www.howtowakesurf.com
It has some general basic info on wake surfing.
A friend of mine is a pro surfer turned pro wakesurfer, and is having a real blast with it( I am originally from Dana Point, CA) He finished 3rd at the nationals last year in his first ever wakesurfing comp. He told me that a wake surfing specific boat is being developed, and will have an exhaust switching mechanism to route the exhaust to the side of the boat the rider is not surfing, to eliminatle the carbon monoxide issue.
I just got a call from my shaper today that a copy of the board my buddy took third on is ready for me. It is 5'6". Now I just need the right boat to try it out behind..... I'll be out at havasu this weekend if anyone wants to give it a shot. I am staying at Nautical.

BadKachina
04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Cool video, I've heard of this but never actually seen it.

deanasaurus
04-10-2006, 09:23 AM
hyperlite 6'
works wonders - big fun.
Nice video - wake surfing is great

haulina29
04-15-2006, 07:23 AM
I ride a 5-11 Xtreme they are out of Brentwood California they are shaped in Santa Cruz for Xtreme , the comments on how to weight your boat is interesting typically a v drive standard rotation is good for regular stance but not for goofy were as a direct drive would be better for a goofy foot stance all the weight you can put in a boat will not correct for the rotation of the prop blast . Some manufactures are offering the v drive boats in right or left rotation for this reason also some have side exhaust ports to aid in keeping the exhaust fumes out of your face . H29