PDA

View Full Version : Ernesto Fonseca Paralyzed.....

blackcloud75
03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Info. From Mutual Sponsors......happened earlier today details to follow

dicudmore
03-07-2006, 06:45 PM
:mad: :cry: :cry:
thats terrible

Redwing247
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
What happened? Can't find any news so far.

blackcloud75
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
transfered from riverside comm. hospital to loma linda univ. hospital

KACHINA KEN
03-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Damn........ :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mrs.Racer277
03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Still no infomation???? This is terrible. He will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Garrddogg
03-07-2006, 07:24 PM
that sucks im sorry to hear that!

Redwing247
03-07-2006, 07:25 PM
transfered from riverside comm. hospital to loma linda univ. hospital
Sound like he got in an accident @ Honda practice facility...

blackcloud75
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Sound like he got in an accident @ Honda practice facility...
yep.....

little rowe boat
03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Where is the honda practice facility?

GAME TIME
03-07-2006, 07:32 PM
sad to hear.

MBlaster
03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh no!!!
Prayers for Ernie...

Redwing247
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Corona

Redwing247
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Menifee/IE

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Im goin :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: g to Cycle News right now..............BRB!!!!

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2006, 07:52 PM
OMG!!!! No news on Cycle news or Supercross.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tom Slick
03-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Ernesto Fonseca update
The industry was rocked today by the news that Team Honda's Ernesto Fonseca crashed while preparing for the Daytona Supercross at a test track in California. There has been a lot of information and misinformation floating around, but here's the deal: Ernesto landed on his head and broke the C-7 vertebra in his back, which is approximately at mid-chest level. His spinal cord was "bent" but not severed. Doctors have stabilized him and are puting a halo on Ernesto in hopes that it will help him regain full function. He is in serious condition, and the doctors feel that the next 24 to 48 hours are critical for his long-term health.
Please keep Ernesto in your thoughts and prayers as this situation develops. We will have more as soon as there is official information or news.

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Ernesto Fonseca update
The industry was rocked today by the news that Team Honda's Ernesto Fonseca crashed while preparing for the Daytona Supercross at a test track in California. There has been a lot of information and misinformation floating around, but here's the deal: Ernesto landed on his head and broke the C-7 vertebra in his back, which is approximately at mid-chest level. His spinal cord was "bent" but not severed. Doctors have stabilized him and are puting a halo on Ernesto in hopes that it will help him regain full function. He is in serious condition, and the doctors feel that the next 24 to 48 hours are critical for his long-term health.
Please keep Ernesto in your thoughts and prayers as this situation develops. We will have more as soon as there is official information or news.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is in our families prayers!!! So sad, please keep us informed! Im all teary eyed about it! :cry: :cry:

Brady Bunch
How tragic............... we will be praying for him!

INFINITEJJ
http://dirtrider.com/news/141_0603_ernesto_fonseca_injury/

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info....God I hope he will be ok!!! :cry:

Mrs. casean
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
What awful news! That is terrible! Like Dirtrider said, I hope his injuries are not critical. Very sad :(

JB in so cal
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
2 major injuries a few weeks apart; prayers to the family :cool:

Mrs.Racer277
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Im goin :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: g to Cycle News right now..............BRB!!!!
I looked there too. :cry:

Mrs.Racer277
03-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Ernesto Fonseca update
Thank you Chris.

you gots 2 chill
03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I pray that he will be OK!

moneypit
03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
C7 is not in the middle of your back. Its at the bottom of your cervical spine. A common injury to this area is a "clayshovelers" Fracture. In Ernestos case, it sounds like he has a compression fracture to this area. What is also common with this type of injury is swelling around the spinal cord which would decrease nerve function. With the reduction of swelling, the nerve fuction can return (basically bruising the spinal cord). Hopefully this is the case. However, if damage to the cord was bad enough, it could be permanent.
I would say that it is better for the injury to occur at the lower part of the c-spine like it has. When the injury is at the C1-C2 level, outcomes are usually worse.
I hope that this clears a few things up. I also hope things work out for him. I see stuff like this intermittently in my practice.

Charley
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
This is very sad.... My prayers for the Fonseca family... :(
Fonseca's and Marshall's injury really have me bummed and scared for my 16 year old who just bought an RM125.... It stops feeling like a fluke when it happens to 2 very talented and capable riders within a month of each other. i thought I was being a good dad by letting my kid have the toy he wanted. Although logically I see it as Paranoia, I can't help but feeling vulnerable to a potential tragedy as I sit here dumbfounded :( :(

Biglue
03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Sucks to hear when our admired pros get hurt like that. Hope everything turns out ok for the guy.

Cs19
03-07-2006, 10:42 PM
fawk, this is terrible.
i hope its not serious and he makes a full recovery.

Goodtime$
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
one of my best friends had a similar riding injury. ChrisAckerman.com
Motorcycles are fun and can be dangerous, charley if you are worried. Rock a neckbrace for your son. I think Davey Milsaps wears one, not sure who makes it but it is worth looking into. PeeWee kids race with them.

RiverRatMike
03-08-2006, 02:21 AM
that sucks! best of luck to him

Charley
03-08-2006, 11:09 AM
one of my best friends had a similar riding injury. ChrisAckerman.com
Motorcycles are fun and can be dangerous, charley if you are worried. Rock a neckbrace for your son. I think Davey Milsaps wears one, not sure who makes it but it is worth looking into. PeeWee kids race with them.
Thanks Gt's,
does anyone have any info/links on these?

Racer277
03-08-2006, 11:22 AM
They are not a solution to a back injury, just a help for fatigued/underdeveloped neck muscles. The biggest protection they give is protecting the collar bones....
http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/661/661-NeckRollAssrtd.jpg

28Prowler525
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/drstrangelove/vpost?id=968714

Tom Slick
03-08-2006, 02:06 PM
C7 is not in the middle of your back. Its at the bottom of your cervical spine. A common injury to this area is a "clayshovelers" Fracture. In Ernestos case, it sounds like he has a compression fracture to this area. What is also common with this type of injury is swelling around the spinal cord which would decrease nerve function. With the reduction of swelling, the nerve fuction can return (basically bruising the spinal cord). Hopefully this is the case. However, if damage to the cord was bad enough, it could be permanent.
I would say that it is better for the injury to occur at the lower part of the c-spine like it has. When the injury is at the C1-C2 level, outcomes are usually worse.
I hope that this clears a few things up. I also hope things work out for him. I see stuff like this intermittently in my practice.
What you just said is what I just heard was the exact problem with Ernie. He is having, or has had surgery today to help reduce the swelling and reduce the pressure on his spinal cord. I also heard that he does have movement in his arms, but has no feeling in his legs. It is said that he is also in good spirits, so lets keep our fingures crossed.

moneypit
03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
What you just said is what I just heard was the exact problem with Ernie. He is having, or has had surgery today to help reduce the swelling and reduce the pressure on his spinal cord. I also heard that he does have movement in his arms, but has no feeling in his legs. It is said that he is also in good spirits, so lets keep our fingures crossed.
The nice thing about being young is your greater ability to heal. He's a string kid who is in shape. If anyone has a chance to complete recovery, he does.

Caribbean Jet
03-08-2006, 04:13 PM
That really sucks,
He'll be in our prayers.

Mrs.Racer277
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks again for the update.

MikeF
03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
They are not a solution to a back injury, just a help for fatigued/underdeveloped neck muscles. The biggest protection they give is protecting the collar bones....
http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/661/661-NeckRollAssrtd.jpg
YEAH TODD! :crossx:

pixilatedpussy
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Our kids are going to send him a get well card...
If anyone wants to do the same the address is : 28202 Cabot Rd, #300 In Laguna Niguel 92677

Tom Slick
03-10-2006, 09:10 AM
March 10, 2006
Ernesto Fonseca update
- press release -
Torrance, CA: On Thursday, March 9, Team Honda factory motocross racer Ernesto Fonseca underwent surgery to stabilize his spinal column. Due to the progress Fonseca has already made since his accident on March 7, doctors were able to operate much sooner than expected. The surgery took six hours, and was described as successful by his doctors. His doctors also noted that Ernie¹s tremendous physical condition, mental strength and positive outlook bode well for his recovery. Fonseca currently has movement in his arms, and his doctors are already planning his rehabilitation, which may take some time due to the bruising to his spinal column.
Fonseca was injured while practicing on his private track on March 7, 2006. The Costa Rica-born rider suffered a fracture to the C-7 vertebra and bruising to his spine.
Everyone at American Honda and all of Ernie¹s teammates are deeply affected by what happened, and our hearts and best wishes go out to Ernie, his wife Carolina and his family. Ernie has been a part of the Honda family for five years now, and during that time we¹ve gained tremendous respect for his talent, his good nature and his determination. Like all top racers, Ernie knows how to fight and he never gives up, and it is this spirit and will to overcome challenges that will see Ernie through this difficult time.
We will continue to provide updates on Ernie¹s condition as information becomes available.
Those wishing to send cards and letters in support of Ernie can mail them to:
Next Level Sports Management
28202 Cabot Road,
Suite 300
Laguna Nigel, CA 92677

Racer277
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks for that Chris.

pixilatedpussy
03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Bumped for Fonseca fans & family.

SnakeWrench
03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Send a letter or card to Fonzi. I know from my own severe back injury, that he has many days of frustration coming his way, but the only reeason I kept my head up and kept a possitive attitude, simply was the people that kept in contact.

riverroyal
03-11-2006, 10:04 AM
i was looking for info,just watched M.Dumel,,cant spell it,on speedvision,give prayers to ernie