PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bearings?

Super D
04-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Who here services their bearings each season? Do they need to be removed, cleaned and repacked - how often? I usually just give them a shot of grease in the bearing buddy thingies before the new season, but this will be the ninth season - want to be prepared...
What do you folks do?
Thanks!

RitcheyRch
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I take mine to a local guy and get them serviced each season.

HocusPocus
04-21-2008, 02:50 PM
i take care of mine every year.. much easier to do in the driveway then on side of the highway.

DeltaSigBoater
04-21-2008, 04:08 PM
I think it depends on how much you tow. Our boat spent a month at the shop (no hurry), and I redid the everything bearings, new hubs, new breaks (drums), because it hadn't been done in 9+ years. I just made damn sure that the races were pressed in the hubs before I paid for them.

Cas
04-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I grease mine just before I launch. When the hot hubs/bearings hit the cold water, there's a vacuum effect, the hot stuff sucks the cold stuff right in.
As far as taking them apart, I do that at the beginning of each year just to check and get my hands greasy :D

Super D
04-21-2008, 07:43 PM
So how hard is it to service them myself? Scale of 1 - 5, how difficult is it (1 is easiest)??? What do you use to clean them?
Thanks!

Cas
04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
if you have the tools (big screwdriver, channel locks, rubber mallet) and some basic mechanical skils, probably a 2-1/2 on the first one, less after that. You will need to get new grease seals so it would be a good idea to look for a number on the old ones prior to taking them out. You should also replace the cotter pin in each wheel that you will find after removing the bearing buddy.

Super D
04-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Cool - Thanks. I have a trailer guy that says he'll do it for $135. I may just do that for the peace of mind and time factors.