PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat wax-polish

slalomskier
09-16-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm looking for a good wax or polish for the gelcoat on my boat. I've used many different kinds that worked ok but none seemed any better than the other. Any input would be appreciated,
thanks.
Larry

HalletDave
09-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Larry,
I have had good results with the 3M Hand Glaze.
It can usually be found at a quality auto paint supply store. It may seam a little pricey but that is the price we pay for quality.
Shoot Havasu Barney a message and see what he has to say.
Good luck.
HD

sanger mike
09-17-2003, 07:56 AM
hi larry, I have been an auto detailer since 1979. eek! and I have seen and used every product under the sun. the best stuff is KLASSE. its from germany. get the all in one, don,t get the glaze it's too strong. you can only find it in the import stores or by the internet. let me know if you can't find it and I'll look around for you. :)

Jet City
09-17-2003, 08:41 AM
The best stuff I've found is 3M, Perfect-It fine cut (#39002, rubbing compound) and follow with Swirl Mark Remover (#39009, polisher). These are both intended to be used with a high speed polisher, but you can use them manually as well. on really bad surfaces (faded gel) you may be better off wet sanding with 1000 grit or finer before polishing. These polishes are available at Napa or most auto paint suppliers. I've also heard very good things about the Meguires marine polishes.

HammerDown
09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Meguires marine polishes and 3M Marine Paste Wax>its not Carnuba...and it last the longest of anything I've tryed so far.

GottaJet
09-17-2003, 02:14 PM
The 3M products have never done me wrong smile_sp

Hustler
09-17-2003, 02:25 PM
GottaJet:
The 3M products have never done me wrong smile_sp Back work!!!! :D
did you fix your starter yet?

slalomskier
09-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info :) . I will definitely give them a try. It sounds like you've had some good luck with them. My color is good, just looking for somthing to keep it that way. Thanks again!
Larry