PDA

View Full Version : sick 502

Tileguy
10-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Need some help here....I have a 1998 272 Baja with a Bam built 502 mtr. During our last few outings at lake Mead, the engine would hesitate or cut-out at various RPM's. I replaced the fuse located on the carb, but this did not help. After the disappointment of a 50 dollar circut breaker, I was told to check or replace the rev limiter, or coil. How the hell can you tell? Is this a elimination process?
The engine seems to have a mind of its own with regard to when and where its going piss us off and start acting up. It does not cough or stall out when you nail it, and it never completely stalls out, only hic-ups (not a back-fire through the carb). I have replaced the fuel filter and have gone through 3-4 tanks of high octane fuel. Other than what I have descibed above, the boat runs great. We may go through the whole day without incident, then wham, its starts menstrating!
If anyone has any suggestions, other than dump the Baja and get an Eliminator or Hallet, let me know.
Thanks

h2oski2fast
10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Sounds to me like it's an intermitant electrical problem. I doubt it's the coil, the symptoms of a bad coil is (usually) breakdown of spark at high rpms. I would look at all the connections for the ignition. Also look to make sure the the plug that is used for all the electrical to the motor is plugged in securely.

Rexone
10-08-2003, 01:01 AM
I would check throughly for a bad or loose ground connection. Late model ignition systems can be very sensitive to less than full voltage. The fact your problem is so intermittant and unpredictable kind of points to a connection problem somewhere. Ground connections are notorious for getting loose, dirty, etc. Check bat cable connection to the motor and all other ground wires.
Also check hot wire connections. On late model Chevy trucks I've seen them just shut off going down the road for no apparent reason. Cause... slightly loose battery cable connection, looses just enough voltage to shut the ignition down.
Depending on your fuel system you could also have some foriegn object floating around in your gas tank getting partially stuck over the pickup tube at times, not letting enough fuel through.
You also could have a bad plug wire or carbon track on the distributor cap that only occasionally acts up. I've had wire problems that work fine under full load but break down crusing, just a little miss here and there.
Just ideas, good luck.
[ October 08, 2003, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Faster Daddy
10-14-2003, 10:16 PM
I can feel your pain. Had to deal with an intermitant electrical problem all summer. Fuel pump would quit. Killed many days on the water for us. The real pain in the ass was that every time I brought it to my mechanic the boat would run fine. Finally helped my mechanic go through elec sys wire by wire and shaking it out. It was a short in the in-line fuse holder, all it took was a good cleaning.
Good luck with yours! smile_sp