PDA

View Full Version : Building a swimming pool.

ELVIS
04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
We are looking to build a pool , i'm thinking of doing it myself acting as a owner/builder, hiring all the subs. i feel i can contol the quality and cost better than a pool builder. any feed back on this ? thanks.

AQUA-HOLICS POOL CONST.
04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
ELVIS, owner/builder pools are built every day. There are many things that you need to know before starting the process of building your own pool. The most important is lay-out and excavation. If the elevation of the pool is off, the coping and deck will also be off! Do you know how to check for this when the pool forms are up and before the digging starts? Do you know the difference between Gunite and Shot-crete? One is far superior than the other! Plumbing will make or break your pool years down the line, heat bends, proper sized pipes, looped system. Yes you can control the quality of the pool construction if you know what to look for. You cant make the right choices, with out the right information!!! I hope this helps you out, if you need more info call me @ (714) 469-9835, Ray.

grads2112
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
There are risks you take when you become the "general contractor" when you do an owner/builder pool. Some of the risks are people getting hurt on your property, mistakes that every sub-contractor passes on to the next one and god forbid the pool popping out of the ground during construction. If you are willing to take these risks you can save yourself some money. Make sure you have the time to meet every sub-contractor on the job. If you have any questions PM me, I've built over 4000 pools.:D

48hr club
04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
There are risks you take when you become the "general contractor" when you do an owner/builder pool. Some of the risks are people getting hurt on your property, mistakes that every sub-contractor passes on to the next one and god forbid the pool popping out of the ground during construction. If you are willing to take these risks you can save yourself some money. Make sure you have the time to meet every sub-contractor on the job. If you have any questions PM me, I've built over 4000 pools.:D
get some quotes from some pool contractors and check with the contractor license board. theres a lot of flakes out there. the quality of your pool is only as good as the subs. let a pool professional built it. Canyon Springs pools and spas in Riverside is tops. (714) 381-0219 his name is Chuck. saving a few bucks on a crappy pool you have to look at for years just come is not worth the savings.

grads2112
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
And there ya have it...lmao. Open mouth, insert foot.
Looks like Elvis is the King :D :D :D
???? Whatever, I would expect no less from you stalker.

ROZ
04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
If you are competent and do a little research, you can contract it out yourself. Yes, you will have to be there to meet with your subs; However, It's not such a bad thing. Do you know how many people have left certain decisions to be made by supervising contractors only to be disappointed? Me neither, but I bet it's a lot! I say leave out the middle man and be there to make on the spot decisions and cosmetic changes that make the pool exactly what YOU want. Not what someone hopes you want. Times are tough, but if you can do it, go for it. No reason to be scared.
If you need the number for someone who can help YOU get the ball rolling, pm me...

stvneil
04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
:jawdrop: if the subs you hire are not insured, and most aren't, and they get hurt, you resonsible for their medical care for life. your homeowners will not cover this. good luck.

AZJD
04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Here ya go:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=546957&fromPageCatId=546956&catNavId=546956
Add my 20% General Contrator mark up and cut me a check!:D

ROZ
04-24-2008, 08:33 PM
:jawdrop: if the subs you hire are not insured, and most aren't, and they get hurt, you resonsible for their medical care for life. your homeowners will not cover this. good luck.
Actually this is wrong. Maybe your homeowners wont cover them, but mine does. I checked before I went through with building the pool. It's likely his will too. They do this because some domestic help such as pool guys, landscapers, handyman, or maids don't carry insurance...
Also, what makes you say that most subs are not insured? sub contractor is a contractor doing work for a general. A larger sub contractor has employees??? I do swimming pool repair work and act as a sub at times. I have insurance... Give me a break.

Beachbum
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I built my pool last year , I paid a pool builder a flat fee for his list of subs. He helpped me anytime I had any ?'s I paid all subs myself & met all of them to go over the job before they started . The pool came out great & under price of all bids I got from builders .

ELVIS
04-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Ok, thanks everyone for imput. wife wants to use a builder ( no faith ) my next question is the equipment. Pentair or Sta Rite. thanks for any help.

Cookie
04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
:rolleyes:

Seasday
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, thanks everyone for imput. wife wants to use a builder ( no faith ) my next question is the equipment. Pentair or Sta Rite. thanks for any help.
Doesn't matter, same company. Still, out of the two I would stick with Pentair. I would actually go Hayward but that's a whole different story.

TequillaSunSet
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Call Ted Metzger @ 951-756-3780
He has helped a lot of home owners build their own pools at about 1/3 the cost. Ted can go over the liability issues and all the other details as he is a pool contractor himself (He is Mike Metzger's dad).
Really cool guy and if he can't help you, he will direct you to someone who can.

lewiville
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
i suggestion is use Mission Pools. There not cheap, but IMO are the best. I live in Murrietucky to and had them build a $70 pool not one prob. Built on time and was perfect. Ask for Dave, he's a good designer to

ROZ
04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Doesn't matter, same company. Still, out of the two I would stick with Pentair. I would actually go Hayward but that's a whole different story.
I have installed many Hayward products, but I'm not a fan... To each his own though..

laveycrafter
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
I built my own pool a couple of years ago. Basic 15x35 , 8ft spa, rectangle with a 24 Raised Bond Beam on two sides. 3 pumps, deck jets, water falls, solar, and pebble sheen. All for about 30k. Concrete work another 10k. The same pool quoted by several builders was 55k-80k.
I found you dont save money by building you own pool, you just get more bang for your buck. Sure a pool builder could of kept me under my 40 k budget, but it would of been a cookie cutter white plaster, gray concrete standard pool.
Do it man! The one thing you have on your side is the economy, people are starving to work, so now you can bargain!
As far as the equipment I went Pentair, I had a bad light, and bad heater module, their customer service is great, and no new problems. I went D.E. filter too, they just clean better.