PDA

View Full Version : FOX News: Diesel $5.00 a gallon today!

riverracerx
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Gas prices have gone up 10% in the last month. Diesel in some states is now $5.00/gallon at some stations.
Truckers protest across the nation.
This sucks! is it ever going to go back down?? Probably not. :mad:

cc322
04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Dont even get me started:mad: :mad: :mad:

westair
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Gas prices have gone up 10% in the last month. Diesel in some states is now $5.00/gallon at some stations.
Truckers protest across the nation.
This sucks! is it ever going to go back down?? Probably not. :mad:
My wife is protesting .... she wants nothing do with her Excursion (diesel)
She loved it when we got it a couple years ago.:D

Wet Dream
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Thats with oil at $120 per barrel. Projections are looking at $200 in the near future. :D. Strap in.

riverracerx
04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Yup
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45540&d=1209419258

Chip Lacy Racing Engines
04-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Fox News reported a few days ago the FBI was reporting that the market is being manipulated big time.
So far, the story has died.

cc322
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=.
So far, the story has died.[/QUOTE]
Just like it alway does, there seems to be a big roar then its all qiuet again.

thatguy
04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Don't know if it still here, but last year when it was approaching $3.75 I told everyone in the fuel price thread to fill up every container they could find because it was NOT going to be that low again. I would say the same right now. I have worked for big oil and gas for 22 years and I can assure you that this "non-replenishable" resource WILL ONLY GO HIGHER as supply goes lower. What do you think the very last gallon will sell for? What will the very last one of anything go for? Say a Shelby Cobra, for instance?
Yes, the oil companies cries about dwindling resource is exagerated. But the cost of recovery IS skyrocketing.
Yes, we are being gouged. BUT, it is our waste and dependence on fossil fuel that allows them to carry on with it.
Look around you house, EVERYTHING you see involves fossil fuel in one way or another.
They are private companies who do not work for charities. We are at their mercy. If the profit margin falls below roughly 30% in any operation, anywhere, they will NOT develop it. They go where they get that 30%. There is no law I am aware of (other than lease obligations) that says oil companies MUST drill and produce fuel, they do it for profit.
FILL UP EVERYTHING YOU CAN. Drive less and walk more. By 2 of everything at the grocery store and NEVER make a trip for 1 or 2 items.
My wife used to make at least 5 trips a week to the Safeway for smokes. 1 or 2 freaking packs at a time. I finally convinced her that the fuel she saves buying a carton well out weighs the $40.00 outlay that she would spend anyway.
Maybe cigs are a bad example, being a waste of money in their own right, but you see my point. There is no way that the price will EVER go down by any substantial amount, only higher.
Tommy

TCHB
04-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I think we are going to see a big change in our cars, boats, and the way we use energy. Electricity prices are projected to go up by 50% at least in the next 5-8 years. Natural gas fired power plants are paying record prices for natural gas today.

Chubby4Life
04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Don't know if it still here, but last year when it was approaching $3.75 I told everyone in the fuel price thread to fill up every container they could find because it was NOT going to be that low again. I would say the same right now. I have worked for big oil and gas for 22 years and I can assure you that this "non-replenishable" resource WILL ONLY GO HIGHER as supply goes lower. What do you think the very last gallon will sell for? What will the very last one of anything go for? Say a Shelby Cobra, for instance?
Yes, the oil companies cries about dwindling resource is exagerated. But the cost of recovery IS skyrocketing.
Yes, we are being gouged. BUT, it is our waste and dependence on fossil fuel that allows them to carry on with it.
Look around you house, EVERYTHING you see involves fossil fuel in one way or another.
They are private companies who do not work for charities. We are at their mercy. If the profit margin falls below roughly 30% in any operation, anywhere, they will NOT develop it. They go where they get that 30%. There is no law I am aware of (other than lease obligations) that says oil companies MUST drill and produce fuel, they do it for profit.
FILL UP EVERYTHING YOU CAN. Drive less and walk more. By 2 of everything at the grocery store and NEVER make a trip for 1 or 2 items.
My wife used to make at least 5 trips a week to the Safeway for smokes. 1 or 2 freaking packs at a time. I finally convinced her that the fuel she saves buying a carton well out weighs the $40.00 outlay that she would spend anyway.
Maybe cigs are a bad example, being a waste of money in their own right, but you see my point. There is no way that the price will EVER go down by any substantial amount, only higher.
Tommy
Bullshit, it is my choice to repaint or carpet my house (oil products) but if I don't want to sleep in the park, I have to get to work. The only people benefiting from high prices are the oil companies.
In construction, if I bid a job I have to stick to the terms of my contract, I can't tell the client that because one of the peices of equipment went down that the contract price is going up. If a fire breaks out in a refinery they say the price is going up, fock you, deal with it.
We are heading for an economic meltdown in this country, and our government doesn't give a crap.
BTW, when your wife is ready to quit smoking tell yer to try Chantix, it's the shit!:)

thatguy
04-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Bullshit, it is my choice to repaint or carpet my house (oil products) but if I don't want to sleep in the park, I have to get to work. The only people benefiting from high prices are the oil companies.
In construction, if I bid a job I have to stick to the terms of my contract, I can't tell the client that because one of the peices of equipment went down that the contract price is going up. If a fire breaks out in a refinery they say the price is going up, fock you, deal with it.
We are heading for an economic meltdown in this country, and our government doesn't give a crap.
BTW, when your wife is ready to quit smoking tell yer to try Chantix, it's the shit!:)
Thanks for the tip, is that stuff gum or a patch?
When I say everything involves fossil fuel it goes all the way back to the manufacturing proccess. How did they melt the plastic to mold the shell of that widescren TV?
What powered the saw that cut the siding you install on a house?
Even your coffe cup was fired in some sort of kiln, no?
Now here is a twist. The leading research and development in alternative energy is being done by.........(dramatic pause).......Big Oil! BP Solar, perfect example. Anybody going on I-80 near Vacaville sees this building.
I am not some conspiricy theory nut, but it easy for me to theorize that by driving fuel price into the stratasphere, the oil companies developing these sources will (eventually) force a large section of manufacturing into a new marketbase for these sources, that they of course will provide.
One thing I have learned from this carreer is that companies like Arco, BP, etc. are capable of ANYTHING.
When fossil fuels are gone, (not in our lifetime) the same companies that dominate now will dominate then. Most of the big oil companies already have changed there names somehow to include the word "energy" instead of just "gas & oil". Subtle, but true.
These are not stupid people. Put them in charge of the country and debt will be gone, no doubt.
I agree in full with you about the governments lack of control, it is fueled by corruption and under the table deals that individual gov. figures, at State (Alaska, for instance) and Federal levels, subscribe to.
The amount of government corruption in dealing with oil dollars is greater than the corruption in the companies themselves.
You want a huge payoff as a political figure? Introduce a bill that handcuffs drilling or prices, then reverse your position, publicly state that "an agreement" was reached, move to Fiji and enjoy the 10 million dollars you just got.
A portion of these hikes is a result of big oil flexing there muscle to get what they want in the way of laws and agreements with Government.
For instance, ANWR.
(BTW, the name is the biggest problem, instead of naming it "Arctic Nat. Wildlif Refuge" it should have been named "Frozen desolate wasteland where nothing permanantly lives".)
Now the time is ripe for them to drill. By driving prices up at the pump, Big Oil sways PUBLIC opinion in their favor for opening ANWR.
What choice does Federal gov. have then? People with torches screaming at the whitehouse steps to open ANWR to drilling so we can pay a little less at the pump.
AND, the oil companies do it cheaper because they know that at that point, Fed. Gov. has NO choice. (No bribe required)
The road and parts of the infrastructure are already in place, I have seen it.
Bribes, exscuse me, "contributions" are how oil companies manipulate government to get their way. That and royalties at a state level.
Unfortanutley, we are the pawns in this power chess game.
Regardless of how full of shtt I may be, or how we view this mess, one thing is for sure.....FILL EVERYTHING YOU GOT!!
It will only go higher, mark my words. I think.
Tommy

TCHB
04-30-2008, 08:23 PM
All fuels today were still trending up with no end in site. Memorial day expect another dollar on top of todays prices.

me4drvr
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
So... Working in the oil industry.. Where would you put biodiesel? i'm looking into buying a mini plant for my personal use... Supposedly I get the used oil from restaurant (which I already have access to 500gal/mo for pennies) add methanol and lye, and in 5 hours I get my clean burning fuel... As it stands, the place I buy premade bio from sells for $3.90, and it runs just fine, barely any power loss and way less smoke..plus I put the money into an Americans hand!! I wish it could be more adverised and readily available, but as you said, BIG oil would do whatever it could to crush it, unless they get 30% of it... I ask all of you that drive diesel's to seriously look into biodiesel, support and keep American dollars in America!

cdog
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Not a rick roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ToojK_MJd0

asch
04-30-2008, 11:17 PM
When are you guys going to understand that no matter what they come up with to use as fuel, the government is going to tax it AND the demand will dictate the price. Even if they figure a way to use candle wax as fuel, it's still going to end up being costing the end user more than intended. Seen the price of corn lately?
It's gone up 250% over the past two years. Ethanol is fast becoming a losing proposition. So much for a cheap "renewable" fuel.
We need to drill for and use every last bit of oil if need be IMO. What are we saving the shit for? A depression? This country's economy is an engine that is designed to run on oil, plain and simple. Get rid of the regulation concerning seasonal "blends" and every other regulation that makes it near impossible to produce fuel at a reasonable cost. There's oil everywhere right under our feet. Lets go get it!

bwillieb
05-01-2008, 12:05 AM
I own three diesels........a Dodge Ram 2500...........and two Mercedes300SD's.........With one of the Mercedes getting 37 and the other 27mpg,.......until now I have always dismissed converting one of the Benz's to veggie oil as too much work,....(scrounging and filtering used French Fry Oil).............. I would consider it now, except for the almost given,..... that used/filtered fry oil is prime for the middle man to step in and market it.......(any entroponer's(sp) out there?).......and that also makes it time for Mr Taxman to step in.............Anybody know the current price of new veggie oil?.........:idea:................On the plus side, the launch ramp is only a mile and a half from my door.................Has 110 race gas gone up?..............

finman
05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
i am considering one of these for my powerstroke.
http://www.fuelmeister.com/
Fin

HammerDown
05-01-2008, 10:43 AM
My 7.3 Diesel needs fuel...both tanks empty.
Around me $4.75 :cry: :squiggle: :umm: :mad:

little rowe boat
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
My 7.3 Diesel needs fuel...both tanks empty.
Around me $4.75 :cry: :squiggle: :umm: :mad:
I filled up my F350 today at 4.33 per gal. OUCH.:mad:

jammin
05-02-2008, 06:47 AM
AV gas $4.65 per gal. Havagas, almost a bargan considering the price of diesel!

jammin
05-02-2008, 06:52 AM
i am considering one of these for my powerstroke.
http://www.fuelmeister.com/
Fin
Can't you just see it! Future World- people dealin french fry greese like dope.

thatguy
05-03-2008, 07:16 AM
When are you guys going to understand that no matter what they come up with to use as fuel, the government is going to tax it AND the demand will dictate the price. Even if they figure a way to use candle wax as fuel, it's still going to end up being costing the end user more than intended. Seen the price of corn lately?
It's gone up 250% over the past two years. Ethanol is fast becoming a losing proposition. So much for a cheap "renewable" fuel.
We need to drill for and use every last bit of oil if need be IMO. What are we saving the shit for? A depression? This country's economy is an engine that is designed to run on oil, plain and simple. Get rid of the regulation concerning seasonal "blends" and every other regulation that makes it near impossible to produce fuel at a reasonable cost. There's oil everywhere right under our feet. Lets go get it!
Excellent post!
A good example is that not long ago diesel was cheaper than gas. More diesel's were produced and sold, now diesel is far more $.
Supply and demand + alternative fuel tax = We lose.
Fill up what you can now.
Tommy

Riomouse911
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I load the Rhino in the bed of the F250 7.3 and tow a 4600 lb boat/trailer combo for river trips. I leave here (Norco) full, top off (about 1/4 tank) in 29 Palms then I'm usually at 1/2 tank left when I hit Moabi towing at 70+. Just for kicks, when I went to the river this weekend I slowed down to about 62. I was at 1/4 tank at Moabi. It took about an hour +/- longer to get there. Saved 10 gals at $4.40, I saved 44 bucks. Same on the way back. That alone (almost) paid for the hook-ups for 3 nights at the park..
I'm slowing down from now on. It takes a bit longer, but I think the $44.00 for an extra hour each way is worth it. Like it or not, we're reaching the end of an era fueled by an easy, yet finite, resource. The prices are only going to rise, I'll bet the farm they'll never fall.

HammerDown
05-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Excellent post!
A good example is that not long ago diesel was cheaper than gas...
:idea: I remember those good (ole) days.
Heck I remember buying diesel for .51 a gallon and regular grade gas was .75
For the past few years around me diesel has been higher than premium grade gas...:mad: And why I'm looking to get away from diesel's.

Enen
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I found this website. www.dieselsecret.com I havent found anyone who has tried this option yet. With the rising fuel costs, I am inclined to volunteer to test pilot this stuff in my truck. :jawdrop:

Riomouse911
05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I remember when buying the '99 Super Duty Diesel was about 92 cents a gallon at some stations on I-5. (I sold an '85 diesel Surburban that's still clinking along with 400k on it somewhere in Fontana, Ca.) Now $4.39 is about as good as it gets.
The primary reasons I bought another diesel is the maintenance is usually less (with the 7.3 that is), no smog tests, and mileage is usually better.. and back then the fuel was cheaper. Now I am not sure the 4,500k premium for a diesel engine over a gas burner is worth it. I bet the prices are going to make the diesels much less popular.