PDA

View Full Version : White bottom or colored?

Punchy
05-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Not trying to be racist, just wanted to ask a general question about gel-coat. I'm looking at buying my first new boat and was wondering about the pros and cons of going with white on the bottom of the boat or continuing the graphics onto the bottom. I really want a full color hull but I'm worried what it'll look like after a few beachings. Any opinions, especially from those with colored hulls, would be appreciated. I know this is probably the wrong section to be posting but since the revamp it seems to be where everybody's lurking.

hoolign
05-04-2008, 04:19 PM
It's only my .02 but I like hulls that carry the colour under the boat, well..unless it's a white boat then it doesn't matter :D

Punchy
05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I definitely like the color as well....but being that is a deck boat it'll see plenty of beach time, (soft sand if I can help it), and I'd hate to see the gel under there go to sh*t in a matter of a few trips. :(

Throttle
05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I think you will be better off with a white bottom. I will see if I can get a couple pics up for ya here shortly of mine. all yellow and blue with a white bottom. I am due to have hull redunn, it will be easier having it white.

Punchy
05-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the input....any opinion is appreciated.

Todd969
05-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Beaching and normal keel wear are much easier to repair when the bottom is white.
You can also go with a keel guard to ease beaching wear.

Nubbs
05-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Beaching and normal keel wear are much easier to repair when the bottom is white.
You can also go with a keel guard to ease beaching wear.
I'll second that.

Riomouse911
05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Hmmm. I prefer tan bottoms myself..;-) Oh, on a boat?? White looks smooth, and I am sure is less expensive to repair than matching colors, but both look good with a good gel graphic/color scheme. Choose what you like and look for a keel guard that matches.

hkunz
05-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Wouldn't a keel guard slow the boat some?

riverbound
05-09-2008, 01:15 PM
My buddy has a boat that the color carries to the bottom and you can see EVERY little scratch form beaching it. And the dark color makes it look worse. I would do white unless you can live with your bottom alway looking bad.

Throttle
05-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't a keel guard slow the boat some?
how would a keel guard slow the boat? the keel should not be touching the water when it is on plane.

SKIA36
05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Not trying to be racist, just wanted to ask a general question about gel-coat. I'm looking at buying my first new boat and was wondering about the pros and cons of going with white on the bottom of the boat or continuing the graphics onto the bottom. I really want a full color hull but I'm worried what it'll look like after a few beachings. Any opinions, especially from those with colored hulls, would be appreciated. I know this is probably the wrong section to be posting but since the revamp it seems to be where everybody's lurking.
Our 22 Schiada has a red bottom, we are carevull when beaching the boat. I had a pad made that attaches to the bow eye and front cleats. We run the boat up on the beach with the pad protecting the bottom. Fine sand doent hurt it, its the wave action with a coarse sand / small rock beach that does the damage. Keeping the hull nice is not much axtra effort, and the colored bottom is way cool.

TCHB
05-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I have had both colored red and white. I like the white.