PDA

View Full Version : when buying a used jet boat?

thehookerman
03-08-2006, 06:54 AM
What are some of the things you need to look for on a potential purchase and what questions should you ask the seller before you buy and if you cant get the boat in the water for a test run what should you do??

IMPATIENT 1
03-08-2006, 07:05 AM
What are some of the things you need to look for on a potential purchase and what questions should you ask the seller before you buy and if you cant get the boat in the water for a test run what should you do??
PUMP TYPE AND CONDITION.CHECK THE FLOOR AND STRINGERS FOR WEAKNESS.HOURS ON THE MILL,LAST PUMP REBUILD DATE,SO ON.ANY PREVIOUS HULL REPAIRS. REMEMBER ALOT OF BOAT ARE PAINTED TO HIDE REPAIRS(MINE IS,BY ME).

Cas
03-08-2006, 07:54 AM
1. is initial price in your range
2. hull make/condition
a. check for stress cracks, if there's a lot, stay away.
b. was the hull painted, find out why. The hull may have been damaged, fixed and then painted. Since you don't know how it was fixed, I would shy away from it.
c. bring a 4 ft long straight edge to check the bottom for hook and/or rocker. The way to do this check is to lay the straight on the bottom of the boat from the transom forward. If there is a gap between the bottom of the boat and the straight edge, the boat has hook. If the straight edge "rocks" the hull has a "bulge" that is referred to as rocker. This is very important as the bottom is one of the most difficult areas to repair.
d. bow flex, were there any supports/bulkheads removed under the bow?
e. check the transom and stringers for rot - this can be tough to do since both areas should be covered in fiberglass. Look closely in areas where there are thru bolts ie: motot mounts in stringers, where pump hole is cut.
f. check the keel line - lots of scratches or worn out areas mean the boat was beached a lot.
3. Interior condition, not only the upholstery but check the frames for possible rot.
4. Interior wiring/gauges
5. Engine condition - fire it off and listen. If I'm looking for a project, this engine sometimes isn't that important as it'll be freshened up anyway.
6. Pump - crawl underneath and look at the impeller, any damage visible? chunks out of the impeller means there are issues inside. Check the oil for water and check the driveline the best you can.
7. Cables - make sure the steering wheel turns freely, the forward/reverse and the throttle cables move easily.
7. Trailer - overall condition, tires, wheels, do the hubs have bearing buddies, lights, and wiring.
8. Price - what's the asking price and how much will I need to put into it to make it a good solid running boat?

sidewound
03-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Pull the handhole and check for play in the shaft.
Up, down and fore and aft.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

GUGS102
03-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Put water IN the boat on the trailer and see if it leaks. Water from the control cables fittings etc. is usually an easy fix. Cracked epoxy on the intake or other major issue you can't see when its in the water. If you can take a shower under it, pass.

Moneypitt
03-08-2006, 10:03 AM
If the boat isn't ready to use, a test ride or drive, find out why. Alot of jet boats have scattered the engine internally and the owners have done a "not so bitchen" motor repair and know it will break if hammered. I would not pay over 2K for any boat that I couldn't ride in and/or drive prior to purchase, unless it was being sold as "minus motor" and was totally puss in and out. This is after all the above post's recomendations as to what to look for in the hull and pump. I hate to say it, but there are people out there getting screwed on boat purchases everyday, and when they find out, well, they'll attempt to screw the next guy. My son cut up a boat with a chain saw and threw it in the trash because it was a death trap, and my family still to this day will not tell me who sold it to him. That guy needs a lifetime limp really bad. ..............MP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Check your bank account because your going to drain that biotch :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

roostwear
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
And guaranteed 70 means 55? Sorry, couldn't resist......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
buy on from ebay, theyre all 100mph boats :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
03-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Don't take "turn key" too mean much. It means different things to different people.
Ditto... assume the engine is about to puke a rod through the side of the block. If it doesn't you'll pleasently suprised. Even if someone hands you a "build" sheet, don't think for a minute that it was for the engine in the boat.

Unchained
03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
There's lots of good advise here already considering mechanicals.
There's another factor to consider that is the most common and costly mistake with used boats.
Don't buy the boat, put thousands into it and end up with more into it than it's worth.
Take the purchase price, add in all the improvements that you feel you will do including your labor, and then take the total and see what's available for that price.
If the boat starts out as a 1974 $ 4,500.00 jet boat then adding another $4,500.00 of parts to it probably won't make it a $ 9,000.00 boat
Good Luck

centerhill condor
03-08-2006, 02:08 PM
they all give good advice... my favorite is still the flywheel gears.... listen to the starter and if you hear the grinding instead of engine turning over... you'll have to pull the engine or jet to replace the gear... also, if the boat is 20 years or older expect every bolt to need replacement or to require breaking to remove...especially if claimed to be a freshwater only boat... do yourself a favor and don't overvalue your mechanical apptitude.. if you haven't been into a drive as at least an observer don't plan on doing a rebuild by yourself... that means money... or as the wife likes to say Bust Out Another Thousand... good luck!

BOOGEYMAN
03-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Lots of great advice here!!!! If you are buying a boat that is water ready then drive it before you buy it.

Danhercules
03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Drive it. My brother just bent over because he did not test drive it. He
needs a new motor.
Here it is.
Lesson learned (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107236&highlight=lesson)

Aluminum Squirt
03-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Buy aluminum :boxed: -Aluminum Squirt

JESSE
03-09-2006, 01:43 AM
when you buy a used boat just know that the jet and motor are about to
go. if they don't that is great. but don't buy it if your not willing to put a
motor in it. also how it rides in the water it should feel solid and not lean
to one side. as far as not spending more money then it is worth. if you can
do that let me know how.

thehookerman
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the use full information I will now go into a purchase with my new fond knowledge and make the correct decision Thanks again everybody.