PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart charging question

GBLASER
05-12-2008, 07:05 AM
I have a 48v club cart and when it is plugged in to charge nothing happens. The gauge on the charger shows nothing.
How do you check to see if it is the charger or something on the cart?

Mandelon
05-12-2008, 08:53 AM
maybe find another cart and charger combo and see if your charger works on the other cart, and if their charger works on yours??
I have the same setup, but its in San Diego.
Is there a cart vendor near you? Just take the charger in to them, they can check it.

BLOWN HOWARD
05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
were are you located at ?

havasu2
05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Have you checked the voltage of the batteries individually? My charger won't "click-on" if the batteries are to low. Had to charge each battery for a little bit and then use the cart charger.

Nubbs
05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Are the batteries really dead? It's possible the voltage across the batteries is so low the charger won't even start charging.
Oops, I didn't see havasu's post. :D

GBLASER
05-13-2008, 06:22 AM
I live in Murrieta.
I will check the batteries and possibly try to charge each one. The batteries are fairly new and I always have left the cart charging when we leave the river. One time I came back and nothing was charged and I have not been able to charge it since.

jammin
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I live in Murrieta.
I will check the batteries and possibly try to charge each one. The batteries are fairly new and I always have left the cart charging when we leave the river. One time I came back and nothing was charged and I have not been able to charge it since.
Take an ohm meter and check the voltage of each battery seperately. Another problem can be that the charger no longer registers the full charge and continues charging at a high rate thus burning up the batteries. I prefer leaving the battries conected to a safisticated trickle charger specificly designed to maintain a charge over a long period of time. Buy the best one you can find it will be cheaper than buying new batteries due to charger malfunctions.

stix818
05-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Use a voltmeter and check batteries without the charger and then have some one plug the charger in, you should see a change in voltage. I'm assuming (because I'm not familiar with golf carts) it has a charger internal to the cart or do you have a charger you connect manually? If you can pull the charger off and put the voltmeter on the charger and do the same you should see voltage of some sort coming out of the charger. You can also put an amp clamp on the charger lead some current should be present if connected to batter.

Smokin Joe
05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Try charging one or two batteries also make sure all connections are tight if any connection is loose the circuit is broken and charger does not work.
sj

FryJet
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Happens quite a bit. Usually a auto 48 volt charger needs to sense at least 8 volts to turn on so with dead batteries its a no go. Just plug the cart charger in like you would normally do and then hook up a 12 volt car charger to one of the batteries. Turn on the 12 volt charger and in a few seconds you should hear the cart charger pop on and do its thing.
Fry