PDA

View Full Version : I need help quick!!!!!

Vicjet
07-09-2003, 09:02 AM
I was at the river last week, when my starter went out. No problem I'll just change it when I get home (right). I get home I take off the bad starter and install a new one. the problem is when I finish the installation and I assemble everything, it started fine about 3 times. after that it started grinding and spinnig as if it was the bad starter. I need some expert help to tell what I possibly could have done wrong. I dont think theres to much to it, its just two bolts that thread into the block, so I figure it pretty much lines its self. I dont think the replacement starter would be bad, althougth you never know. Someone told me that maybe I didn,t replace a shim or a washer and thats why it might not be lining up right. I Have replaced the starter before and didnt have this problem.My boat is a small 18ft with a 454, and I had to pull the manifold etc, so I want to make sure that I get the problem solved so I dont have to do it a third time.

hboldno7
07-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Maybe you have a flat spot on your fly wheel. Try turning the motor over a little by hand and give the starter a shot again.

Vicjet
07-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Hboldno7 Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention in my original post that I have checked in 2 or3 spots the ring gear on the fly wheel, and it seems that the teeth on the fly wheel are ok. At least I hope they are if you know what I mean. thanks vicjet.

SERIOUS ISSUES
07-09-2003, 09:57 AM
I have had that problem before. Because you never know in a boat what engine (year, make and model) you have its hard to find the right starter. I went though 3 starters in one weekend trying to get one to work. finaly I got a starter and flex plate and never had that problem again. just write down the part number for the 2 so you know what to get again if the starter does go out.